News Article: Pete DeBoer could be next coach of the leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Difference is NJ overachieved and Toronto underachieved

Not really, they play a quality hockey game more often. They lost 11 shoot outs, if they won 6 they may be in the PO.

If you can't see this team plays crap as a TEAM, nothing anyone says will put you on the right track of recognition of the inherent flaws here.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
As long as they win I dont think anyone cares how they do it

There are people here whining that they want entertaining hockey and at least one who has loudly claimed that he would rather be entertained than see them win with a boring style.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not really, they play a quality hockey game more often. They lost 11 shoot outs, if they won 6 they may be in the PO.

If you can't see this team plays crap as a TEAM, nothing anyone says will put you on the right track of recognition of the inherent flaws here.
You're basically making my point for me.

NJ overachieved based on expectations. The fact they came that close to the playoffs with that roster is a huge achievement.

The fact the Leafs blew-up like they did and finished where they have is a huge underachievement.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Don't know if hes ready to make the jump next season, but if the Leafs bring Carlyle back for one more brutal season, I wouldn't mind seeing DJ Smith get a look. He's coaching the Oshawa Generals right now and has done incredible things with them and the Spitfires before coming to the Gens. He should be considered for coach of the year again in the OHL, but will likely be overlooked due to the success in Guelph and Erie this year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Leafs 9 SO wins verses 0 for NJ in 13 tries each. A +9 point differential Tor verses NJ.

Shootouts are circus time individual play and coaches are responsible for system and structure verses team play.

Corsi and others don't track SO results and shootouts are not a part of playoff hockey as they remove the foolishness that they represent because hockey is a team sport, not a skills competition best reserved for all-star games and entertainment.

That is why DeBoar is being praised for is coaching and Carlyle criticized for his. DeBoer NJ team in #1 in shots against and #1 on the PK while Carlyle team just established a new record in futility of most shots against in an NHL season with a PK and goals against near the bottom of the league.

SO results are not fooling anyone here.;)

Durkin67

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n...le-leafs--say-it-ain-t-so--lou-215805162.html

I think he would be a great fit. Good relationship with kadri and clarkson. Grew up in ontario, drafted by the leafs many years ago. He took the devils to the cup final with a very average roster and the devils had a better year than the leafs with a much worse roster.

Here's a thought: how about we concern ourselves with the personnel on the ice instead of who is holding the whiteboard.

This team has a collective heart problem, namely lack of same. No coach in history can make people care enough about winning to stop losing. Last game of the season and they cant even score one goal.

In the words of that guy on my son's stereo: I've seen chihuahuas thats more Rah-rah...

They don't care. Theyre too busy being celebrities...minus a few exceptions...

ForSpareParts*

So now that Dreger reports it everyone believes it :laugh:

@DarrenDreger: As others have noted, I believe we can scratch Peter DeBoer's name off list of free agent coaches. Extension with NJD expected soon.

Yes.

This speculation had 'jump the gun' written all over it.

Close thread.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
It's really a shame, having Pete as our head coach would have truly exposed our roster... nobody could make an excuse for not blowing up the core if we saw more of the same under Pete

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Finally an end to this "story".

There was no way the Devils / Lou were going to let this guy leave their roster. Solid coach.

Still some options out there though, that are more realistic.

Trotz (no thanks)

Dineen (no thanks)

Boucher (possibly?)

Laviolette (likely?)

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON

There was no way the Devils / Lou were going to let this guy leave their roster. Solid coach.

Trotz (no thanks)

Dineen (no thanks)

Boucher (possibly?)

Laviolette (likely?)

seriously? personally, i really want trotz here. once he's fired, he'll be one of the most popular sought after Free Agent coaches out there.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011

Trotz (no thanks)

Dineen (no thanks)

Boucher (possibly?)

Laviolette (likely?)

Really? The guy is a solid coach

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
seriously? personally, i really want trotz here. once he's fired, he'll be one of the most popular sought after Free Agent coaches out there.

Old school defensive coach that won't be a good fit with the current composition of this roster.

Don't care how popular he is around the league.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Except the opposite. We allowed more shots in a season than anyone else ever. That's not underachieving. We were overachieving for the whole season and then crashed back to reality at the end.
Actually it is. A huge part of those shots against was Carlyle and his system.

The achievement statement is based on talent vs. On-ice performance, not Corsi standings.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Shanahan and Spott have a connection, Spott and Deboer have a connection.

Interesting Nonis chose Spott as the Marlies coach…Perhaps he had an inkling Shanahan was always on Lieweke's hit list.

Seems too convenient to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad