News Article: Pete DeBoer could be next coach of the leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Brodeur record: 18 W, 14 L, 6 OTL

Schneider record: 16 W, 15 L, 12 OTL :amazed:

It's all about the wins when your a coach.

Well I'd be sceptical about any coach who would judge an individual on team stats like that. Brodeur has nothing to do with his team giving him more goal support than they do Schneider.

I don't know if I can agree that it's so black and white (all work ethic vs. all skill). It's definitely a 'safer' system than what we're used to, but Patrik Elias has done just fine in NJ for years, and he's not some mindless ogre grinding away in the corners. Kovalchuk became a significantly better all-around player in NJ and bolted because he wanted to play in Russia, not because he had a problem with their culture/coaching.

IMO, if some of our players can't learn how to utilize their skills within the framework of an actual system, then we'll know who we need to get rid of, because you're not going to win anything in today's NHL with a bunch of guys playing pond hockey like this.

Not that DeBoer would necessarily be my first choice or anything, but there's no reason not to have an open mind about it.

Well that is true. Hopefully he is a good enough coach to utilize the special talents a bit differently, such as Elias and Kessel. Having watched a lot of Devils, I'm not sure about this. I'm not convinced of the opposite either though.

My only objection really is that you seem to bring it back to "an actual system" as opposed to what we have now, like with the bolded. I think you're oversimplifying. There are a multitude of actual systems that can work on an NHL level, we need to find one that works well with the group of players we have going forward. I don't think DeBoers is the right one for that.

In a hypothetical situation where DeBoer demands the Kessel line to dump the puck in and work from the corners out, the fault lies with the coach for misusing the talent on the team rather than on Kessel for being who he is. That type of player will never get the most out of his skillset in that kind of system, regardless if he has an attitude change and tries to work his ass off in the corners.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Well I'd be sceptical about any coach who would judge an individual on team stats like that. Brodeur has nothing to do with his team giving him more goal support than they do Schneider.

Well that is true. Hopefully he is a good enough coach to utilize the special talents a bit differently, such as Elias and Kessel. Having watched a lot of Devils, I'm not sure about this. I'm not convinced of the opposite either though.

My only objection really is that you seem to bring it back to "an actual system" as opposed to what we have now, like with the bolded. I think you're oversimplifying. There are a multitude of actual systems that can work on an NHL level, we need to find one that works well with the group of players we have going forward. I don't think DeBoers is the right one for that.

In a hypothetical situation where DeBoer demands the Kessel line to dump the puck in and work from the corners out, the fault lies with the coach for misusing the talent on the team rather than on Kessel for being who he is. That type of player will never get the most out of his skillset in that kind of system, regardless if he has an attitude change and tries to work his ass off in the corners.

Not very hypothetical when that is Deboer's NHL coaching system

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
NJ TOI:

Greene (31) 24:35
Zidlicky (37) 21:39
Zajac (28) 20:22
Salvador (38) 20:17
Merril (22) 19:12
Jagr (42) 19:11
Harrold (30) 18:40
Fayne (26) 18:22
Henrique (24) 18:03
Elias (37) 17:53
Larsson (21) 17:36
Zubrus (35) 17:32
Gelinas (22) 16:55

vs Leafs TOI:

Phaneuf (29) 23:35
Gardiner (23) 21:02
JVR (24) 21:01
Bozak (28) 20:57
Franson (26) 20:43 :facepalm:
Kessel (26) 20:39
Gunnarsson (27) 19:24
Lupul (30) 18:27
Rielly (20) 17:36
Ranger (29) 17:28
Kadri (23) 17:25
Raymond (28) 17:19

Please tell me how Deboer is suppose to play his young players more, since 70% of their roster is above the age of 30...

It's the handling of Larsson people seem to take issue with, Even though he hasn't lived up to his draft billing. But people should know how this place works, Young players and prospects are king, And if a coach is seen to be doing wrong by them, They(fans on here) will pounce.

I have an open mind towards this, If he can blend the skill we have with the other parts that he teaches well, Then it should be an interesting combination. As long as the passive collapsing in the defensive zone is gone, I'll be supportive of the new coach.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
DeBoer haters better get over it, quick.

I dropped this a day or two ago, which was followed by Ward's comments and now this article.

I'd say; 80% DeBoer, 19% Trotz, 1% Other

Positive note is that Carlyle is a goner unless he promise's Shanny a lot of lovin.

I'll hold out for Hitchcock

Kyle Doobas*

If we can cut down on turnovers, play halfway solid defense and get some offensive zone time, I'm a happy camper. I don't care if it's DeBoer or Trotz or Dineen or whoever behind the bench. There are honestly very few names I can think of that I wouldn't consider to be an upgrade at this point. :laugh:

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
While he would be an improvement over carlyle for sure, as Carlyle was already known as a bad possesion high shots against coach even with above average teams(anaheim)

I'm not sure he's a fit for us, with the whole trap thing.

although we need to make some trades this summer for sure, I'd accept him, I don't like Carlyle's system at all after seeing him for two seasons, it doesn't work unless you have elite d-men which no team but maybe St Louis has

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
If we can cut down on turnovers, play halfway solid defense and get some offensive zone time, I'm a happy camper. I don't care if it's DeBoer or Trotz or Dineen or whoever behind the bench. There are honestly very few names I can think of that I wouldn't consider to be an upgrade at this point. :laugh:

Agreed, we need some personnel changes for sure, but I dont think I've ever seen a coach repeat "I have no idea what's going on" so many times and repeat "we're not skating!" only to say it every game after that.

We never skated! We never played hard, we constantly play back with the lead but play agressive when tied or behind (which was a coaching decision at times, it's fine to play back, but we essentially park ourselves in our zone)

Legit this team looked broken in every single game of the season, there was no great game from us, it's just that in stretches our offence had great chemistry and our goaltending was elite.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Debs ain't bad really. He took an avg team to the cup. This year they had nobody and almost made the PO.

I think he may be the best choice if available.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
It's the handling of Larsson people seem to take issue with, Even though he hasn't lived up to his draft billing. But people should know how this place works, Young players and prospects are king, And if a coach is seen to be doing wrong by them, They(fans on here) will pounce.

I have an open mind towards this, If he can blend the skill we have with the other parts that he teaches well, Then it should be an interesting combination. As long as the passive collapsing in the defensive zone is gone, I'll be supportive of the new coach.

How did he mishandle him? His icetime is the exact same as Rielly this year and it was even higher the previous 2 years.

leafstilldeath*

Debs ain't bad really. He took an avg team to the cup. This year they had nobody and almost made the PO.

I think he may be the best choice if available.

The thing is players are buying into the coach's system. Players on the Leafs roster at the moment = Muskoka 5 (Part 2)

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
They are buying into Carlyle's system, that's why they have the same terrible stats that Anaheim had until he was fired.

I agree but I really doubt the leafs are fully buying into Carlyle's system. If they are then it's really awful.

leafstilldeath*

They are buying into Carlyle's system, that's why they have the same terrible stats that Anaheim had until he was fired.

First let me start by saying I am not a Carlyle supporter. I am a member of #FireCarlyle club.

That said the there is a problem with the core and players on this roster. They have to be traded.

For me it is just hard to comprehend that when a unit of five are collapsing in the defensive end as soon as the puck is on the stick of blue and white wingers cheat like there is no tomorrow. How is that even..... I have no words

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
I'm just going off what I've seen from some NJ fans.

I don't know either, I just looked at the icetime and it seems reasonable to me.

I agree but I really doubt the leafs are fully buying into Carlyle's system. If they are then it's really awful.

I think it's a combination of bad system and a lot of individual failures. But there are a lot of things they do every night that have to be part of the system.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
First let me start by saying I am not a Carlyle supporter. I am a member of #FireCarlyle club.

That said the there is a problem with the core and players on this roster. They have to be traded.

For me it is just hard to comprehend that when a unit of five are collapsing in the defensive end as soon as the puck is on the stick of blue and white wingers cheat like there is no tomorrow. How is that even..... I have no words

That happens too frequently, almost on every play, for it to not be a part of the system. They try to get the forwards on the blueline so that the defence can make a long pass and deflect it in. Of course it always gives up possession, but also leaves the defensemen completely vulnerable.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
DeBoer is showing respect for a legendary goalie who's time has come to an end in the only franchise he truly knew.

If you take an issue with that then some people might question your people skills!

I understand doing what it takes to win, but there's also a long term approach to things and garnering yourself some respect around the league.

It's not his fault his team dropped the ball so many times in the shootout.

This team (NJD) has lost so many 1 goal games it could make any coach's record look bad, but that can't be strictly on the coach.

DeBoer is a good coach, he knows Spott well and the cohesiveness between the two could really benefit a teams system from the AHL and beyond if Spott would stay in that position. Spott and DeBoer as a pairing were always viewed as a "jekyl and hyde" type, one tough love, one easily approachable, but you always got the best out of both of them and became a much better player along the way.

I think if DeBoer comes on and Spott comes up as an assistant, you could see the young guys flourish rather than everyones fear of seeing them receive an Adam Larsson treatment.
The bottom line is that if you want a career in management (a head coach is a man manager so they count), they need to be able to make the tough, unpopular decisions for the betterment of the organization. Martin Brodeur is a future Hall of Famer and Devils legend. He gave so many years to the New Jersey Devils. But he can't hack it in the NHL anymore. The Devils need to tell him straight up that while they respect all that he has done for the New Jersey Devils organization, they are not going to re-sign him and that's that. They should have had this conversation with him in 2012, not 2014. He needs to retire to make room for new blood like Cory Schneider. He's had his time in the sun. It's now time to ride into the sunset.

leafstilldeath*

That happens too frequently, almost on every play, for it to not be a part of the system. They try to get the forwards on the blueline so that the defence can make a long pass and deflect it in. Of course it always gives up possession, but also leaves the defensemen completely vulnerable.

True. There is no puck support available for defense with forwards cheating no wonder D passes get intercepted, result - giveaway and then goal.

The thing is I remember Lupul-Bozo-Kessel line playing that style of hockey in the Ron Wilson era too.

Not only is coaching system of Carlyle extremely outdated but the players have been equally as guilty.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Larsson has 3 points in 25 games. Rielly, while playing similar minutes, had 9 points in his first 25 games as a 19.

I don't think Deboer is at fault here at all. Larsson has played terrible all season long and has not justified his draft position as well.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
IMHO it's time for Kulemin, Franson, Phaneuf and Ranger to go and possibly McClement too. Need fresh legs either Marlies boys or UFA or trades but the Leafs need some new blood into the line up. Stasny is intriguing, cause if he is signed that means either Kadri, Bolland or both are gone. I think Kadri should move to wing like Babcock does with his young players til they are ready for that responsibility.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I don't understand some peoples logic. We say "we suck at defense, our system sucks"

So rumor comes out of us getting a really good defensive/ puck posession team and people say "no he won't fit our team well"

So do people want Wilson's run and gun back?

There is no super coach out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad