Player Discussion: Petan

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
During a conditioning stint, a player still takes up an NHL roster spot

The Jets have a 6 game home stand right around the corner and the Moose are also in town for 4, it would be the ideal time to get Petan on his stint w
As he could easily be brought back in case of an emergency.

Reactions: JetsFan815

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets have a 6 game home stand right around the corner and the Moose are also in town for 4, it would be the ideal time to get Petan on his stint w
As he could easily be brought back in case of an emergency.
Agreed a conditioning stint for Petan makes the most sense. Give him a few games in the A before making any decisions.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I likely see Vesalainen not making it past 9 games if he's getting such little icetime. He's the one to go down, IMO.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It's called compassion, look it up.
Love getting personally attacked by a moderator. I don't think he'd get a pb spot if he was at camp. That's a hockey opinion even if wrong. Telling someone they have no compassion is a personal attack.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Love getting personally attacked by a moderator. I don't think he'd get a pb spot if he was at camp. That's a hockey opinion even if wrong. Telling someone they have no compassion is a personal attack.
I'm simply pointing out why he's still being given an opportunity, nobody's attacking you. Having said that, you're comment was pretty insensitive.

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
If you are gonna get offended and call out the the mods, maybe just stick to watching the Jets, and zip it. You say something stupid, the people will have something to say. Suck it up.

Reactions: GaryPoppins

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
It's Nic's turn over at Arctic's Top 25 Under 25.
They include his hattric performance video at the
World Juniors.
It's a bittersweet moment seeing his mom and dad enjoying
this special event.

I'm hoping that Petan is able to move forward and takes the
next step in a successful nhl career.
I'm a fan.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
If you are gonna get offended and call out the the mods, maybe just stick to watching the Jets, and zip it. You say something stupid, the people will have something to say. Suck it up.

What offensive did he say? He just stated the facts, that it’s improbable Petan would have clinched a roster spot was it not for his personal tragedy. That’s not a lack of compassion.

Also, if your parent died I don’t think you’d get a promotion at your job. It’s not a lack of compassion from your boss either, that’s just how the world works. However, if you DID get a promotion such nepotism should be called out, which is what probablywrongbut did.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ok I can only read half the debate but when/if Petan ever arrives as a full time active player on the Jets roster the last thing I would say is he was gifted a spot......he has been in the Jets system developing for 5 seasons now and for the most part when he has got a cup of coffee with the Jets he has either been stuck with plugs and sucked or he has played with non plugs and done well.

This season Nic was finally poised to be sharing the 12-13 role with Dano until his father passed and KVes had a good camp. The good news for Dano and Petan is there are no plugs left to play with. We have 79 games left and I have no idea what Nic’s state of mind is right now but time will tell. For now KVes is getting a shot but unless he starts getting more work it seems like a waist of an ELC year and we are holding back his development. I like Vesalainen but I still think he needs a stint in the AHL to play big minutes in all situations.

I have no idea what Petan’s career path going forward will look like. I think he is good enough to be a full time NHL player but I have my doubts it will be in Winnipeg. We are too deep at forward and unless there are allot of injuries I am not sure he or Dano will ever get the usage here. That is life in the NHL though....luck and timing play a huge role in career arcs for so many players.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ok I can only read half the debate but when/if Petan ever arrives as a full time active player on the Jets roster the last thing I would say is he was gifted a spot......he has been in the Jets system developing for 5 seasons now and for the most part when he has got a cup of coffee with the Jets he has either been stuck with plugs and sucked or he has played with non plugs and done well.

This season Nic was finally poised to be sharing the 12-13 role with Dano until his father passed and KVes had a good camp. The good news for Dano and Petan is there are no plugs left to play with. We have 79 games left and I have no idea what Nic’s state of mind is right now but time will tell. For now KVes is getting a shot but unless he starts getting more work it seems like a waist of an ELC year and we are holding back his development. I like Vesalainen but I still think he needs a stint in the AHL to play big minutes in all situations.

I have no idea what Petan’s career path going forward will look like. I think he is good enough to be a full time NHL player but I have my doubts it will be in Winnipeg. We are too deep at forward and unless there are allot of injuries I am not sure he or Dano will ever get the usage here. That is life in the NHL though....luck and timing play a huge role in career arcs for so many players.
Good post PS. I think the Jets will be sensitive to Petan's circumstances and give him an opportunity to restart where he left off having to return home. IMO at least a restart isn't gifting but allowing for one of your players to prove he can be a contributing member of the team. I think Petan will need a conditioning stint with the Moose to get up to game speed as he has fallen well behind being away for close to a month. After the conditioning stint, provided he has looked good and has his head into the game bring him back up and give him some NHL games. At that point make a decision on his future. Like you I have some doubts that his future with the Jets, but he deserves the opportunity.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It seems like Petan is being gifted a spot because of his personal tragedy.

Gifted a spot? The kid had a dominant year in the AHL last year and that is what would have earned him an opportunity. Once again people put way too much stick into training camp and what is earned there. Look no further then Ves who had a solid camp but is clearly not NHL ready.

The Jets will also not keep Lemieux up to ride pine in the PB considering there is still a lot of development that he can get done on the Moose and he is waiver exempt.

I would say Ves won't make it past his 9 games and Lemieux is better served in the AHL.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I like the idea of a conditioning stint and then a chance to make an impact in the lineup.

KVes and Lemieux should be Moose for the time being

If Petan is ready he should get a chance (over Dano) to play somewhere in the mix with Laine, Ehlers, Roslovic, Perreault, Little. Maybe his playmaking attributes can help some of these players start to produce. If only he could click with a Laine or Ehlers...

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Does a conditioning stint remove the need for waivers? How does that work?

His contract status always gave him a leg up for a job in that 12-13 role. Ves and Lemieux are the easy demotions.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

His contract status always gave him a leg up for a job in that 12-13 role. Ves and Lemieux are the easy demotions.

He can go to the Moose for a max of 2 weeks if he agrees to it and it doesn't require him to be placed on waivers.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Yep, it removes the need for waivers, though it has conditions and the circumstances may be investigated. Here's the rule:

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

Reactions: ps241

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Gifted a spot? The kid had a dominant year in the AHL last year and that is what would have earned him an opportunity. Once again people put way too much stick into training camp and what is earned there. Look no further then Ves who had a solid camp but is clearly not NHL ready.

The Jets will also not keep Lemieux up to ride pine in the PB considering there is still a lot of development that he can get done on the Moose and he is waiver exempt.

I would say Ves won't make it past his 9 games and Lemieux is better served in the AHL.

The bolded can't be emphasized enough, earning jobs in camp is largely mythical in the grand scheme of things. Spots aren't decided based on pick up games against non NHL rosters.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
It seems like Petan is being gifted a spot because of his personal tragedy.

That's a pretty inconsiderate rude thing to say given the circumstances. He likely would have made the team over the likes of Dano, Lemieux and even Vesalainen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00