Player Discussion: Petan

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Well we can go around with many examples.
And there will be no exact answer.

So i just stick with our player,Petan.
Given the chance and a little more rope than before.
He should carve out a middle 6 career.

It will be bad of he does it somewhere else.

Petan just does not have what it takes to be a middle six forward. It would have happened in 2016. He has had more chances than Wab Kinew.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Angelo Esposito also played very well, and scored the winning goal for Canada in 2009 WJC. It means nothing, if the player cannot replicate his success from Juniors into the pros.
Martin St Louis
John Leclair
Citing a single example of a bust, or even two examples of late success as I did above, does not make a prediction rule. The fact is that none of us knows Petan's fate and, although his chances of NHL success are low, it is still too early to write him off.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I think it's time Petan fans start to face reality, and realize he will never be anything more than a career journeyman, and at best, a bottom six forward. Even if you look at his Junior hockey totals, they flatline after the 2012-13 season in Portland. 46 goals was his career high. IN 2014-15, when he was turning 20, Petan's point total drops 31 points, and more noticeably, he only has 15 goals.

Playing for the Jets, he has been an absolute bust. 5 goals in 95 games. Petan is 23, and is not going to get better. Fans of Petan can make all the excuses in the World for him, but the fact remains. He will never amount to much for this organization, other than a top line AHL player.

This was my point several years ago. The fact that his point totals flatlined or actually went down as he progressed through his junior career causes me concern. That usually is not a good sign. Back then this forum didn’t want to hear that.
I still have hope maybe he can make the transition but his time is running out.

Reactions: Jets4Life

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Why not Duchene could play on our 2nd line rather easily.
I think what he means is that he can't tell if you seriously believe Duchene could be acquired without giving up a 1st and/or the idea that Petan could be a replacement for a 1st in a trade for a player of his caliber.

That Matt Duchene wouldn't be a big help to our team in the 2C role for sure isn't what he was trying to suggest.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
It seems raw athleticism is what holds Petan back. No shortage of skill/iq. I am hoping he trained like a cornered animal as this is likely his last shot, at least with the Jets. I'm sure another team would take a flyer on him so he's still got value as an asset in a trade. Trouba + Petan fit nicely in a trade together that's good value.

Reactions: Ippenator

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It seems raw athleticism is what holds Petan back. No shortage of skill/iq. I am hoping he trained like a cornered animal as this is likely his last shot, at least with the Jets. I'm sure another team would take a flyer on him so he's still got value as an asset in a trade. Trouba + Petan fit nicely in a trade together that's good value.

His value would be pretty low in trade if he can't make it here. A waiver-destined player swap, 1 for 1. Give em each a shot in a new system with less positional depth.

Or maybe Dax is right and we'll flip him and a 2nd for Duchene. :sarcasm:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think it's time Petan fans start to face reality, and realize he will never be anything more than a career journeyman, and at best, a bottom six forward. Even if you look at his Junior hockey totals, they flatline after the 2012-13 season in Portland. 46 goals was his career high. IN 2014-15, when he was turning 20, Petan's point total drops 31 points, and more noticeably, he only has 15 goals.

Playing for the Jets, he has been an absolute bust. 5 goals in 95 games. Petan is 23, and is not going to get better. Fans of Petan can make all the excuses in the World for him, but the fact remains. He will never amount to much for this organization, other than a top line AHL player.

I hope your wrong Jets4Life, but I think Petan has some good upside in him. I believe he scored around 40 goals with the Moose last season, and if you can score in the AHL, you can score in the NHL. Connor and Roslovic both scored well with the Moose, and I expect Petan can do the same. Scoring is scoring--either you can pick the corners or you can't. I guess we'll see this year if Petan is a Jet or not ?? I'd like to see him step up this year and do well.

Reactions: Ippenator

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Someone should go tell Leafs fans Andreas Johnsson is nothing but a top line AHL player. They seem a little too excited about him :rolleyes:
I think that's because he finished the year with the leafs and played well even in playoffs for them and was mvp in the ahl plaoffs when sent down after leafs eliminated. Apples and oranges.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think that's because he finished the year with the leafs and played well even in playoffs for them and was mvp in the ahl plaoffs when sent down after leafs eliminated. Apples and oranges.

Unfortunately for Petan and the rest of the Moose, we had a bunch of injuries, so when Comrie flopped on his face we couldn't have Hutch there to carry the load, so they didn't get to have a nice long playoff run.

Johnsson didn't play "well" for the Leafs, he was average at very best in a sheltered role.

But you're right, "apples and oranges".

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So trade a guy coming off a down year but who otherwise has a history of being one of the most productive players, who also happens to be on a team friendly deal, for a guy who has yet to prove much of anything.

Got it.

If Petan proves he's a productive, everyday NHL player, trade Perreault next year.
We love our shiny baubles... :laugh:

Reactions: Ducky10

googleIsMyFriend

Dec 6, 2016
Petan just does not have what it takes to be a middle six forward. It would have happened in 2016. He has had more chances than Wab Kinew.

Players tend to get better when they get older, i would say now he has a real chance to be a fulltime NHLer.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I like the guy but i feel ppl overhype him because of what he did many years ago in Junior. But to date as a pro, hes been a bust. That can change but i dont see it... He lacks speed and just intangibles... There is something there with Nic that tells me he's just not gonna make an impact here or in the NHL in general. He has some upside tho but its certainly not in a top 6 or likely top 9 role here. Honestly, i feel like he doesn't bring anything unique or special to the team... Like what does Petan do? Ppl talk about PP but he wasn't so good when given a shot. I think hes been passed on the depth chart and wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if he clears waivers. He just hasn't done anything yet .

Reactions: Jets4Life

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am a foil to the over serious nature of the boards....

So humor, a scythe to doom or so said certainty of doom is a target of my schtick...

Petan has lacked the ability to work or gravitate to the dirty spaces...

Petan has lacked the ability to get to where he probably instinctively thinks he should be... that drive to those spaces has been lacking...

But I want Petan to succeed...

Because of his past in Junior, the WJC....

If he can evolve to the next level we have saucer passes, threaded genius and WTF moments...

His deficiencies above pretty much state what I think he has to overcome...

I want him to succeed...

It's all good for every Jets fan if he does...

homer-backsaway-chocalte.gif

Reactions: sipowicz

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Martin St Louis
John Leclair
Citing a single example of a bust, or even two examples of late success as I did above, does not make a prediction rule. The fact is that none of us knows Petan's fate and, although his chances of NHL success are low, it is still too early to write him off.

Actually, if you look at the careers of St.Louis and Leclair, they were on upward trajectory by the age of 23, in their respective careers. Not so with Petan.

I hope Petan can prove me wrong, but the fact is Petan flat-lined in 2013, and has done nothing to prove himself in the NHL, and he is already 23.

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Players tend to get better when they get older, i would say now he has a real chance to be a fulltime NHLer.

And that is exactly my point. Petan has NOT become better with age. His totals peaked in 2013, in his draft season. I cannot understand why Petan has so many fans, when other Jets like Appleton, Lemieux, Dano, and Roslovic have either passed him on the depth chart, or are going to pass him this coming season.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
St. Louis hadn't played a game of NHL hockey at the same age Petan is now. :rolleyes:

Martin St.Louis, after not being drafted at 18, was a standout in College, and was one of the top players in the NCAA in his final two years, and a Hobey Baker Award finalist (ages 20-21). He then had a standout rookie season in the IHL at 22, after no NHL team would sign him. He was finally signed by the Calgary Flames at age 23, after turning heads in the minors.

However, you are still missing the point. The players that have been compared to Petan, and went on to have distinguished NHL careers, all improved with each passing year, sometimes going undrafted at 18. Petan has not done this, in spite of being a highly regarded 2nd round pick in 2013.

Last edited:
Reactions: lanky

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Martin St.Louis, after not being drafted at 18, was a standout in College, and was one of the top players in the NCAA in his final two years, and a Hobey Baker Award finalist (ages 20-21). He then had a standout rookie season in the IHL at 22, after no NHL team would sign him. He was finally signed by the Calgary Flames at age 23.

However, you are still missing the point. The players that have been compared to Petan, and went on to have distinguished NHL careers, all improved with each passing year, sometimes going undrafted at 18. Petan has not done this, in spite of being a highly regarded 2nd round pick in 2013.

And Petan hasn't improved with each year? Stop basing it on his laughable NHL minutes, the same type of minutes St. Louis had 2 points in 13 games with the Flames at the age Petan will be going into this season. Start basing it on his AHL production. He went PPG in the AHL, which is good and what you want for a prospect as a 22/23 year old. If Lemieux went PPG this next year the usual Petan haters would be losing their minds with his future on the Jets.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
And Petan hasn't improved with each year? Stop basing it on his laughable NHL minutes.

1. Petan has not improved with each passing year.
2. If Petan was the player some of his supporters painted him to be, he would have moved up in the lineup, and had far more ice time, and played with the top two lines. Why have Roslovic, Ehlers, and Connor moved ahead of Petan on the depth chart, when they are younger? This isn't some conspiracy theory that Maurice & Company are deliberately holding Petan back.

You can come up with all the excuses you want. The fact is Petan has been passed on the depth chart by several forwards, because he just is not as good as some of the other young Jets players, and likely never will be. I can see Lemieux, Appleton, Vesalainen, and Dano doing better than Petan this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetBlue420

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Still don't see Petan a regular Jet this year. He didn't and doesn't play a "Jets style" of game (using your speed to be aggressive on the puck or use the body on the forecheck, strong on the cycle). I would have Dano higher on the pecking order on the right side, tbh.

I think KV has a better shot at making the team, and he's a very young player who is coming over from Europe, and likely should have a year in the AHL to adjust. Petan may make the 23 man roster, but i don't see him supplanting anyone in the top 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->