Player Discussion: Petan

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
the jets need Petan to have an impact this season. Maybe they should try having him play a third line centre roll between Perreault and Little. Keep them together the entire preseason and see if they can developer some chemistry.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I see him getting about 45 games this season (depending on injuries) and the rest of the time riding the pine.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I like Petan --he's a smooth operator, and a great playmaker. He's always looked a little intimidated out there with the big club, and hasn't been able to score. He's hit a lot of posts, and had many just misses. This was due to being way to nervous.

Now that he's played with the Moose last year, and had a good productive year playing with men, I think he'll come of age, and make the Jet's lineup, and be a great contributor. He's always seemed to be a guy just on the outside looking in, but I think his time will come to step up and shine. He's a very skilled hockey player.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Jets should trade Perrault and have Petan take his spot. But maybe that's left for next year...

This is exactly what I'd do if I was Chevy. You can't go wrong doing this, as Perrault is always injured for about 20 games a season. He also performed poorly in last years playoffs, and didn't have a good year last year as well.

I'm sure the Jet's have to be thinking this way, although they may hang on to MP for one more season until they build confidence in Lemieux or Petan.

Makes Cents to trade Perrault $$$ -- lot's of cents $$$.;)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So trade a guy coming off a down year but who otherwise has a history of being one of the most productive players, who also happens to be on a team friendly deal, for a guy who has yet to prove much of anything.

Got it.

If Petan proves he's a productive, everyday NHL player, trade Perreault next year.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I hope he gets traded. He's not skilled enough for top 6, and we've got our shutdown line and ELC fillers.

He is probably a second or third liner on a few teams.

jetdiehard

Jun 14, 2014
Winnipeg
I believe Petan was on the trading block this summer with nothing of interest in return.
He will be a Moose this year.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Lets go Petan

I think you will be awesome with Ehlers.

Same when you clicked with McDavid in wjc
My fat ass would click with McMuffin.

That said, thankfully our lineup is skilled to the point where no matter when Petan (or Dano for that matter,) get a chance, it's basically guaranteed to be with skill players, which should help a lot.

I feel like we said this last season too, but this has to be the year for him.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Petan with skilled players leads team Canada in scoring in world Juniors.

But that McDavid is insane.

A lot of great junior players never translated that success to pro.

I laugh at the suggestion that Petan is the natural replacement for Perreault. Petan does not skate like a rocket, crash into players, for puck retrieval. In fact Petan doesn't win a lot of physical battles.

Glad to see him at the 5C spot to start, as that is where I see him, replacement level 3C, for Roslovic, or centering the successful Perreault/Roslovic combination if he has a better camp than Ves, Lemieux, Dano.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
There is a possibility we make a deal involving Petan to get someone like Duchene for the 2nd line as a rental. I'd never include any 1st rounders though.
Can't tell if your serious

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is a possibility we make a deal involving Petan to get someone like Duchene for the 2nd line as a rental. I'd never include any 1st rounders though.
A) Ottawa could get way more than Petan for Duchene.
B) How would the Jets fit Duchene under the salary cap this season?

Reactions: Robinson2187

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
A) Ottawa could get way more than Petan for Duchene.
B) How would the Jets fit Duchene under the salary cap this season?

I said a deal involving Petan not Petan being the lone player. We'd likely have to move salary in such a deal if done now. At the deadline we could afford him easily.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think it's time Petan fans start to face reality, and realize he will never be anything more than a career journeyman, and at best, a bottom six forward. Even if you look at his Junior hockey totals, they flatline after the 2012-13 season in Portland. 46 goals was his career high. IN 2014-15, when he was turning 20, Petan's point total drops 31 points, and more noticeably, he only has 15 goals.

Playing for the Jets, he has been an absolute bust. 5 goals in 95 games. Petan is 23, and is not going to get better. Fans of Petan can make all the excuses in the World for him, but the fact remains. He will never amount to much for this organization, other than a top line AHL player.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Angelo Esposito also played very well, and scored the winning goal for Canada in 2009 WJC. It means nothing, if the player cannot replicate his success from Juniors into the pros.
Well we can go around with many examples.
And there will be no exact answer.

So i just stick with our player,Petan.
Given the chance and a little more rope than before.
He should carve out a middle 6 career.

It will be bad of he does it somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->