Player Discussion: Petan

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Just heard from a friend who is close to the Petan family.

The circumstances of the death of his father must be devistating to this young man.

All my prayers to him and his family and I hope the jets do the right thing with him.

Whoa, that's terrible. Condolences to him and his family.
Can he take an admin leave or does he have to either take a roster spot or be waived?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's times like this that we see what a quality organization that TNSE is. They will do right by Nic and by the whole Petan family. May Nic's mental health come first and when the time is right, may his hockey career resume.
I think it is more of what the NHL allows TNSE to do over what they want to do. I have little doubt TNSE would like some sort of mental health IR and allow Nic the time to get healthy. Now it is dependent on what the NHL allows. I think it is unrealistic that the Jets would hold open a NHL roster spot indefinitely.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I think it is more of what the NHL allows TNSE to do over what they want to do. I have little doubt TNSE would like some sort of mental health IR and allow Nic the time to get healthy. Now it is dependent on what the NHL allows. I think it is unrealistic that the Jets would hold open a NHL roster spot indefinitely.

Oh absolutely, league rules will mandate what they can do business-wise. That they even petitioned the league in the first place for consideration speaks volumes.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The NHL as a league does not have any formal bereavement leave policy. They also do not have a formal mental health leave policy, or a paternity leave policy. Instead, they rely on the blanket non-roster player status to cover these very different circumstances.
image.png

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I feel like we should trade Nic Petan because I want him to have a better chance to succeed elsewhere. The Jets will continue to unintentionally build in he and Dano's way by drafting more prospects that flourish down the line and I think we should trade him to a team with not too many prospects and space for him to get an excellent opportunity. I feel like it would be best for him at this time for him to get some sort of big break.

Thinking Edmonton or Vancouver would be realistic places as to where they could get a much better chance.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I feel like we should trade Nic Petan because I want him to have a better chance to succeed elsewhere. The Jets will continue to unintentionally build in he and Dano's way by drafting more prospects that flourish down the line and I think we should trade him to a team with not too many prospects and space for him to get an excellent opportunity. I feel like it would be best for him at this time for him to get some sort of big break.

Thinking Edmonton or Vancouver would be realistic places as to where they could get a much better chance.
But only if the Jets can get something good back.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Something good is relative. The Jets wouldn't be able to recover his original draft position (mid 2nd). Maybe they could get approx same level prospect back that might also benefit from a change of scenery.
the only way you get anything back for him is if he clears waivers so a trading team can put him in the minors without fear of losing him if they send him down. otherwise you get nothing .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I dont know if moving him right away is the best thing for him atm. Given what he is likely going through additional stress inflicted by moving cities and getting used to a new team and systems might be a bit much for him. I would just as soon hold onto him and see if he can do that spot with Ehlers and Roslovic. I'm not sold on Ves being ready for it not do I think Lemieux will be able to be on his best behavior for too much longer.

Thinking long term the Jets will need another full time winger next season when they are likely forced to move Perrault. They may also need to move a Copp or Tanev as well if they are too costly.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I dont know if moving him right away is the best thing for him atm. Given what he is likely going through additional stress inflicted by moving cities and getting used to a new team and systems might be a bit much for him. I would just as soon hold onto him and see if he can do that spot with Ehlers and Roslovic. I'm not sold on Ves being ready for it not do I think Lemieux will be able to be on his best behavior for too much longer.

Thinking long term the Jets will need another full time winger next season when they are likely forced to move Perrault. They may also need to move a Copp or Tanev as well if they are too costly.
But Petan doesn't have the speed to be a Perrault and turn the puck over in order to tilt the ice. Petan is just as costly as Tanev.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But Petan doesn't have the speed to be a Perrault and turn the puck over in order to tilt the ice. Petan is just as costly as Tanev.

I beg to differ. Perrault also wasn't Perrault until around age 24. Petan is tracking just like Perrault is to date as a pro. It was more Copp as he will likely cost a similar amount as Lowry next summer.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I beg to differ. Perrault also wasn't Perrault until around age 24. Petan is tracking just like Perrault is to date as a pro. It was more Copp as he will likely cost a similar amount as Lowry next summer.
I see more Perrault in Tanev as someone who is just really fast and disrupts play. Tanev has no offensive instincts but I imagine that can be taught a lot easier than speed. Wasn't Perrault fast before he was 24? Once again, I don't know. I also don't have an eye for the minute stuff. Perrault to me is a Tanev with offensive instincts.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
To me, it's fairly obvious that to stay at 23 they will send down one of Vesa or Lemieux as they are waiver exempt.
They can also send down Petan for a 2 week conditioning stint. In that time they will have made up their mind on Vesa. If Vesa is here to stay do you really need so many PB guys? Wouldn't it save some money on the team's cap if they decide to keep Vesa and trade Petan for whatever they can get? At the same time they can monitor Petan to see if they think he fits into the big picture.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
They can also send down Petan for a 2 week conditioning stint. In that time they will have made up their mind on Vesa. If Vesa is here to stay do you really need so many PB guys? Wouldn't it save some money on the team's cap if they decide to keep Vesa and trade Petan for whatever they can get? At the same time they can monitor Petan to see if they think he fits into the big picture.

During a conditioning stint, a player still takes up an NHL roster spot

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lemieux is the obvious choice to go down as the Jets won't want him to sit in the press box not playing as a waiver exempt player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad