Player Discussion: Petan

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
1. Petan has not improved with each passing year.
2. If Petan was the player some of his supporters painted him to be, he would have moved up in the lineup, and had time with the top two lines. Why have Roslovic, Ehlers, and Connor moved ahead of Petan on the depth chart, when they are younger? This isn't some conspiracy theory that Maurice & Company are deliberately holding Petan back.

You can come up with all the excuses you want. The fact is Petan has been passed on the depth chart by several forwards, because he just is not as good as some of the other young Jets players, and likely never will be. I can see Lemieux, Appleton, Vesalainen, and Dano doing better than Petan this season.

Connor Ehlers and Roslovic moved up because they were better prospects. No one is calling Petan a top line NHL player, they're saying your half assed shitting on him makes no sense when there are countless NHL players that made the league at or after the age of 23 who produced like Petan did. And when St. Louis is pointed out, you say Petan hasn't improved?

The world we live in after Vegas' season where we still get hot takes like this :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jack722

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
there are countless NHL players that made the league at or after the age of 23 who produced like Petan did.

Nearly all of those players improved by leaps and bounds, after their draft year. Five years after his draft season, Petan has not really took the necessary steps forward to justify a roster spot.

And when St. Louis is pointed out, you say Petan hasn't improved?

You compare Petan to St.Louis, which is ridiculous. Petan was highly regarded in 2013, after his career Junior year with Portland. St.Louis was not even drafted in 1993. Five years later, St.Louis had impressed scouts so much that he was signed by the Flames. Petan, despite being drafted in the 2nd round, and given several opportunities to thrive on the Jets roster, has failed to live up to expectations.

The world we live in after Vegas' season where we still get hot takes like this :rolleyes:

Don't be so hard on yourself. I have faith that you will eventually become a productive forum member.

Having said that. This thread is yours. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sipowicz

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Martin St.Louis, after not being drafted at 18, was a standout in College, and was one of the top players in the NCAA in his final two years, and a Hobey Baker Award finalist (ages 20-21). He then had a standout rookie season in the IHL at 22, after no NHL team would sign him. He was finally signed by the Calgary Flames at age 23, after turning heads in the minors.

However, you are still missing the point. The players that have been compared to Petan, and went on to have distinguished NHL careers, all improved with each passing year, sometimes going undrafted at 18. Petan has not done this, in spite of being a highly regarded 2nd round pick in 2013.

I'm not defending Petan and I'm unconvinced by arguments on either side regarding his NHL future, but you're comparing the development of players at different levels of the game. You actually think it's notable that St.Louis improved his play at the NCAA level, yet dismiss Petan who was actually playing as a pro? Petan may not be where people want him to be but he's certainly a better player than he was 3 years ago.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I'm not defending Petan and I'm unconvinced by arguments on either side regarding his NHL future, but you're comparing the development of players at different levels of the game.

No I never compared Petan to St.Lous. I countered that comparison as some were comparing Petan to St.Louis, in an attempt to insinuate that he may be a future franchise player ( I can only assume).

You actually think it's notable that St.Louis improved his play at the NCAA level, yet dismiss Petan who was actually playing as a pro?

Re-read the thread. Some of us are saying it's notable that Petan did not improve his totals from his draft year (2012-13) to his final year of junior (2014-15).

Petan may not be where people want him to be but he's certainly a better player than he was 3 years ago.

Petan's stats as a Winnipeg Jet:

2015-16: 26 GP 2 goals 4 assists 6 points (0.23 PPG)
2016-17: 52 GP 1 goal 12 assists 13 points (0.25 PPG)
2017-18: 15 GP 2 goals 0 assists 2 points (0.13 PPG)

His stats as an NHL player do not prove he is any better than he was in his rookie season.

Speaking of Petan, sometimes you just have to be cruel to be kind....

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
No I never compared Petan to St.Lous. I countered that comparison as some were comparing Petan to St.Louis, in an attempt to insinuate that he may be a future franchise player ( I can only assume).

Re-read the thread. Some of us are saying it's notable that Petan did not improve his totals from his draft year (2012-13) to his final year of junior (2014-15).

His stats as an NHL player do not prove he is any better than he was in his rookie season.

You mentioned St. Louis's NCAA years, specifically his 20-21 years, an age Petan was already playing pro. Petan's AHL numbers from last season are almost exactly on par with St. Louis at a similar age, both were pretty much ppg.

Yes his last year in junior was slightly down, mainly goals, although he played less games that year. Personally I think the Jets have handled him poorly to some extent, he should have had at least a full season in the A, or two more realistically , before being up with the Jets.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Just heard from a friend who is close to the Petan family.

The circumstances of the death of his father must be devistating to this young man.

All my prayers to him and his family and I hope the jets do the right thing with him.

Thanks for this. We will be making a donation to the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) in his (and a family member's) name. Tough tough tough.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

I think people compare him to St. Louis because other people are totally writing him off, but MSL is a prime example of a small player making the NHLer later on (which there are many of) and having a great career, and people are hopeful for that. He is definitely a long shot to be a franchise player haha, I don't know if anyone would bet on that.

Petan's 2014 WHL stats he was still 7th in the league despite ~15 games less played then the other players, then tied 1st in the playoffs with Draisaitl. He was an exciting player to watch in juniors and people are hopeful he would continue that into the NHL, but he obviously hasn't yet. I among many Jets fans are hoping that he will put it all together at some point, I honestly don't know why someone wouldn't be hopeful for that.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Knowing the Jets, they will keep him around and let him get back on his feet - which is the right thing to do as an org. From a purely hockey standpoint this probably prevented Petan from being waived (I'm sure someone would have grabbed him)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Knowing the Jets, they will keep him around and let him get back on his feet - which is the right thing to do as an org. From a purely hockey standpoint this probably prevented Petan from being waived (I'm sure someone would have grabbed him)
No doubt TNSE will treat the situation gently, but the machinery of the NHL keeps turning. If he falls out of contention for a roster spot which I think he is close to, I expect the organization to try and find him a landing spot he is happy with.

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
Question for mods. When someone uses the term "fan boys" when referring to other posters is this not showing disrespect. It seems to be allowed on these boards. Is this not in contravention of the terms of use?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
At times like this, I'm glad that TNSE has shown that they are an organization that is sensitive to the lives of their players and employees.

Condolences to Nic and the Petan family.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Question for mods. When someone uses the term "fan boys" when referring to other posters is this not showing disrespect. It seems to be allowed on these boards. Is this not in contravention of the terms of use?

As an ex-mod I can tell you its one of those 'grey area' terms. Depending on context it can be considered flaming but it's deeply rooted in the lexicon of sports chat so it's often allowed to stand.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Let's not get our britches in a knot over perceived slights of very light language.

Besides I doubt there are any Petan "fan boys" in existence. I've yet to come across anyone posting here that does so sheerly out of love for Nick Petan. He has those that feel he'll emerge into an NHL player & those that don't.

I'd say that term exists for people posting that do so out of love for one particular player & could care less about anyone else on the team. Since this is a Jets fan page, it's my opinion those here for simply that reason shouldn't be here in the first place to at least save their posts to threads created for simply that player.

Reading between the lines on some of the recent comments regarding the death, I would think it could be some time before Petan returns.

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz and JetsUK

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Let's not get our britches in a knot over perceived slights of very light language.

Besides I doubt there are any Petan "fan boys" in existence. I've yet to come across anyone posting here that does so sheerly out of love for Nick Petan. He has those that feel he'll emerge into an NHL player & those that don't.

I'd say that term exists for people posting that do so out of love for one particular player & could care less about anyone else on the team. Since this is a Jets fan page, it's my opinion those here for simply that reason shouldn't be here in the first place to at least save their posts to threads created for simply that player.

I will say @Jets4Life use of the term is ridiculous and considering recent events is in poor taste.

Reading between the lines on some of the recent comments regarding the death, I would think it could be some time before Petan returns.
I don't think he used the term "fan boys" in the last week but 2 weeks when petan hadn't suffered the loss of his father. I could be wrong though.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just heard from a friend who is close to the Petan family.

The circumstances of the death of his father must be devistating to this young man.

All my prayers to him and his family and I hope the jets do the right thing with him.

It’s something I didn’t comment on yet but when I saw it was a sudden death and that the family requested donations be directed to the CMHA I was heartbroken for Nic and his family.

With TNSE’s close ties to this cause you can bet they will be very supportive.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It’s something I didn’t comment on yet but when I saw it was a sudden death and that the family requested donations be directed to the CMHA I was heartbroken for Nic and his family.

It's truly awful, you never like seeing things like this happen. The org will do what they can to help him out.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137

Oh man, you hate hearing about any death someone has to go through, but this makes it so much worse. Absolutely devastating to Nic and his family. TNSE is classy, they'll do the right thing that fits everyone

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think he used the term "fan boys" in the last week but 2 weeks when petan hadn't suffered the loss of his father. I could be wrong though.

You're correct his comments were made on the 16th, with the death on the 18th.

I made the mistake of responding to someone who quoted it today.

Apologies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

My prayers go out to Petan. Nobody should have to deal with this.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

If I call you a fanboy, that is one thing. If I say that there are fanboys, that is another. JMO, of course.

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
I will never figure out why Petan took a 2 way contract. He must had figured he was a lock with the Jets. 70 grand on the Moose? That's peanuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad