Perry and Getzlaf to Detroit?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Okay. If Perry uses that as his benchmark, we're out.

And he's going to be disappointed.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Lidström is a bad comparable, because he was our Odin.

But Holland payed 7.45 million for Hossa, with 56 million cap. That a good comparable.

Loading money for a winger position is not the hockey's brightest idea but hey, that Corey freaking Perry, right handed, huge, power-forward in his prime, a total package that is totally missing from our team. He is an answer to our biggest needs in offence.

Zetterberg has the team-high 7.5 million salary for next 4 seasons.

Perry turns 28 in may, I think we could offer 6 years, 45 million easily for him (7.5 caphit).

Caphit would be team high, but salary is same as Zetterberg's that sets the "bar".

Hossa isn't a good comparable because he was a 1 year deal. We didn't have to make any big moves to make room for him. Kenny won't spend all of this cap space he will have on one contract (that will be on the books for 6-8 years moving forward). It isn't how he operates. I wouldn't want him to either. Perry would be awesome, but it will handcuff us if it happens.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hossa isn't a good comparable because he was a 1 year deal. We didn't have to make any big moves to make room for him. Kenny won't spend all of this cap space he will have on one contract, that will be on the books for 6-8 years moving forward. It isn't how he operates. I wouldn't want him to either. Perry would be awesome, but it will handcuff us if it happens.

6 year contract is a short contract in my eyes. Perry's prime years.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Getzlaf really wanted to stay in Anaheim yet they paid him a top5 cap hit. :huh:

Sure, it has a bit to do with the term limit and we'll see more >7M cap hits going forward, but it's still a really high number.

That said, Perry is worth 8M/7 years. You'll get him from age 28-34 which should be quality years.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
their is a zero, I say again ZERO percent chance we will EVER sign a young elite top notch UFA if we're not willing to pay the guy more then 7.5 million dollar cap hit.

If we keep saying thats too steep thats stupid because it isnt anymore and in 2017 it certaintly will not be

Iwould pay Perry more then Datsyuk because he is better. Not better today but 2-3 years from now he will be so much better and thats how we have or should at least view things

7 years 55 million

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
He is building a new mansion there for his family. That construction takes some money. :sarcasm:

loooooool

Seriously, though. Seems like everyone on HF knew he was planning on staying. He is comfy there. You have to think Anaheim management knew it, too. Seems like they gave him a blank contract and told him and his agent to fill it out themselves. Doesn't add up.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
That is a flawed logic.

Parise is getting close to 10M per for first 8 years.

You can't just look at the cap number. Before this lockout players added garbage years at the end to make cap number small (Z, Franzen, Kovi, Richards, etc)

If Perry hits UFA, he can only sign for 7 years max. He will cost minimum 8M per

True, but I really don't think Perry is worth more then 7.5M, maybe even only 7M on a long term deal, he's a 70-80 point gritty mean winger. His style will general lead to a quicker break down and he never had a huge peak that he will be able to continue his style into his 30s. The comparable to me is an Iginla lite, Perry is consistent but when Iginla fell from his peak years of 80-100 points he became a guy in the 65-85 range.

If Perry falls from his peak scoring he's a 50-65 point guy.I'm not sure that Perry will be able to produce when he's 33,34 or 35, and years 6-7 of that deal could be pretty bad if he is only a 55-70 point guy. Especially if we have to resign all of the young guys we hope become bridges from the Euro Twin era to our "New Hope" era.

Last edited:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Not the same at all. Lidstrom was the #1 defenceman in the game, he was arguably the best player in the NHL the 2 seasons after the lockout.

Getzlaf is a top 15 center, but I could name off 7-8+ guys I'd take before Getzlaf and the fact he isn't all that consistent and was in a decline makes this a very risky, but necessary move by the Ducks.

What is this decline you speak of?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
What is this decline you speak of?

Last year, though as Eternal eluded too it was more of a bad year for the team. Not saying I wouldn't want to sign him it's just for the next 2/3 years it'd be hard to make the cap work.

James Mirtle @mirtle
Some around league expect Perry to get more than $9-million AAV on open market. Was always going to be harder for Ducks to re-sign.

I might throw up if Perry signs a deal with an AAV of 9M+. He's quickly becoming one of the most overrated players in the NHL.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
True, but I really don't think Perry is worth more then 7.5M, maybe even only 7M on a long term deal, he's a 70-80 point gritty mean winger. His style will general lead to a quicker break down and he never had a huge peak that he will be able to continue his style into his 30s. The comparable to me is an Iginla lite, Perry is consistent but when Iginla fell from his peak years of 80-100 points he became a guy in the 65-85 range.

If Perry falls from his peak scoring he's a 50-65 point guy.I'm not sure that Perry will be able to produce when he's 33,34 or 35, and years 6-7 of that deal could be pretty bad if he is only a 55-70 point guy. Especially if we have to resign all of the young guys we hope become bridges from the Euro Twin era to our "New Hope" era.

The style of Perry and how he could fall faster than other players I agree with.

I wouldn't mind giving him 7~8M for 7 years (have to be 7 years since that is what he will get from other teams).

I don't think that will get it done though. (some stupid GM + owner will offer 8.5+ just because they can)

7~8M might seem like a lot but it's basically Sammy + Flip (4.5M) money.

I would overpay 0.5~1 M per to great player than give 0.25~0.5M overpayment to 2 okay players

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Parise is likely more conducive to holding up in his mega deal than Perry will be able to.

And I wasn't interested in signing Parise at all.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Does anyone feel that this all but kills our chances for Perry if he hits the open market? I just can't see Kenny opening the floodgates for a deal like this.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Didn't we offer Parise close to $7M per on a lifetime deal? A million more per year but half the term is a lot more enticing to me. You might overpay the player a little some years but at least your team gets heavily improved without spending any assets.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Getzlaf has signed an extension.

8 years, 8.25 million caphit.

Steep price, kind of sure that Perry is gone after that, because they can't afford pay the same for both.

Umn, why wouldn't they?

Didn't we offer Parise close to $7M per on a lifetime deal? A million more per year but half the term is a lot more enticing to me. You might overpay the player a little some years but at least your team gets heavily improved without spending any assets.

If 5.6 mil per is close then yes :).

73 mil for 13 years.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Never under estimate desperate GMs and stupid owners

Toronto, step right up!

New GM is going to want to make a splash and what better way than giving his fans Perry. And the owners can easily afford it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Does anyone feel that this all but kills our chances for Perry if he hits the open market? I just can't see Kenny opening the floodgates for a deal like this.

Considering the Wings emphasis on depth...

It seems unlikely. However, Holland has always said he's willing to pay the right players. He did give Suter a huge contract offer. Not as huge as Minnesota, but quite huge, particularly under the current cap.

Is Perry the right player? Does the 8 year cap help easy concerns of Holland?

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
We officially have a chance at Perry. Not even sure I want him though if his cap hit is going to be over 7.5m. Then again, he is miles ahead of Parise...

Holland may be able to get him for a little bit less if offered a longer term contract with a contending team (such as Detroit).

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Considering the Wings emphasis on depth...

It seems unlikely. However, Holland has always said he's willing to pay the right players. He did give Suter a huge contract offer. Not as huge as Minnesota, but quite huge, particularly under the current cap.

Is Perry the right player? Does the 8 year cap help easy concerns of Holland?

our emphasis on depth?

does that include all our injury prone useless 35 plus year olds?

no team should spend 3-4 million on players over 32 who cant stay in the lineup and play in your top 5 forwards or top 3 dmen

those other roles can easily be filled with kids and cheap options

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad