Perry and Getzlaf to Detroit?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Holy crap that's a huge caphit for Getzlaf. Thank God he didn't land in Detroit for that.

Guess this is what it's going to look like now that there are no more cap circumventing contracts allowed. Drafting and development is more important than ever now.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Holy crap that's a huge caphit for Getzlaf. Thank God he didn't land in Detroit for that.

Guess this is what it's going to look like now that there are no more cap circumventing contracts allowed. Drafting and development is more important than ever now.

The fact that Anaheim drafted and developed Getzlaf didn't seem to matter one bit in this case, which makes me really uneasy. I hope the Wings are able to keep the whole "hometown discount" thing alive in the future.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Drafting and development is more important than ever now.

What stings is when a team drafts and develops a guy and he still takes a near max contract. That's a dagger for a team like the Ducks who are reportedly on a budget.

If they keep Perry as well, they'll have 25% of the cap locked up to 2 players for the next 8 years. And that assumes they even spend to the maximum.

Without cap loopholes, it's going to be hell to keep promising RFAs if you've already committed to a couple of players on $8 million dollar deals.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The fact that Anaheim drafted and developed Getzlaf didn't seem to matter one bit in this case, which makes me really uneasy. I hope the Wings are able to keep the whole "hometown discount" thing alive in the future.

The 8 year contract limit makes that a bit tricky.

On the upside, I think it makes it more plausible the Wings could just go for broke on a guy like Malkin. If you can't get the hometown deal, just give the maximum to one of the best players in the world. :laugh:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
What stings is when a team drafts and develops a guy and he still takes a near max contract. That's a dagger for a team like the Ducks who are reportedly on a budget.

If they keep Perry as well, they'll have 25% of the cap locked up to 2 players for the next 8 years. And that assumes they even spend to the maximum.

Without cap loopholes, it's going to be hell to keep promising RFAs if you've already committed to a couple of players on $8 million dollar deals.

Well that's what I have always hated about the cap. Teams that draft well are eventually going to either sacrifice their player they invested time and money in or they won't be able to ice a well rounded team.

I get the competitive balance argument. No one wants to be a feeder frachise for the huge markets. Teams in small markets deserve a chance to succeed. Just don't want it to be at the expense of teams that can afford players and draft well.

I really would like a sort of Bird rule in the NHL. Say a certain percentage of a drafted players salary doesn't count against the cap.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
The 8 year contract limit makes that a bit tricky.

On the upside, I think it makes it more plausible the Wings could just go for broke on a guy like Malkin. If you can't get the hometown deal, just give the maximum to one of the best players in the world. :laugh:

Malkin gonna get PAID. Is Letang going to need to be signed soon, too? They better win a Cup soon cause they are going to be in cap hell or sacrificing talent.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Nope, it didn't. That's my point though. Teams are going to have to draft and develop well and win the within a small window. There is no way a team is going to be able to build through free agency and trade. Just not going to be feasible. No one is going to trade young players under team control and when they are reaching free agency they are going to be too expensive to build around.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Just read through most of the Getzlaf signing thread on the Ducks board, and most people there like the deal while they are split on whether or not the deal makes it likely for Perry to leave. The more I think about the deal, the more I like it for the Ducks. He's an elite C and only 27 yrs old, so this deal ends when he's still only 35. He won't be as good then, but you're still not dealing with the old cap circumventing deals like Parise or even Zetterberg.

I don't know if Anaheim will offer Perry the same deal or less than they gave Getzlaf. But the Ducks can give him an 8 year deal while a new team over the summer can only offer 7 yrs. So, unless they deal him before the deadline AND he re-signs with that team, he'd be leaving $$ on the table to not re-up with Anaheim (assuming they offer him the same).

I doubt they trade Perry with a decent shot at the Cup this season, and I think he'll end up re-signing with Anaheim. If he makes it to UFA status, a team would have to offer him 7 years at $9.5M to beat Anaheim's 8 year Getzlaf deal, which I just don't see happening. I'd love to have Perry in Detroit, but I still don't think it goes that way.

Last edited:

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Just read through most of the Getzlaf signing thread on the Ducks board, and most people there like the deal while they are split on whether or not the deal makes it likely for Perry to leave. The more I think about the deal, the more I like it for the Ducks. He's an elite C and only 27 yrs old, so this deal ends when he's still only 35. He won't be as good then, but you're still not dealing with the old cap circumventing deals like Parise or even Zetterberg.

I don't know if Anaheim will offer Perry the same deal or less than they gave Getzlaf. But the Ducks can give him an 8 year deal while a new team over the summer can only offer 7 yrs. So, unless they deal him before the deadline AND he re-signs with that team, he'd be leaving $$ on the table to not re-up with Anaheim (assuming they offer him the same).

I doubt they trade Perry with a decent shot at the Cup this season, and I think he'll end up re-signing with Anaheim. If he makes it to UFA status, a team would have to offer him 7 years at $9.5M to beat Anaheim's 8 year Getzlaf deal, which I just don't see happening. I'd love to have Perry in Detroit, but I still don't think it goes that way.

He's a good player but there's no way in HELL I'd pay him $9.5. That's Crosby or Malkin money. F@$? that jazz!!!!! :thumbd::loony:

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

There is not the slightest chance in the world that Perry will get a $9.5m average.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
There is not the slightest chance in the world that Perry will get a $9.5m average.

I'm not saying that it's a lock for him to get $9.5m, just that if the Ducks are offering him the same deal that they just gave to Getzlaf, $9.5 is what it would take for a team to beat it. A lot of people on the boards are killing the Ducks for the Getz deal, but the days of ridiculous front-loaded deals and and long terms paying guys into their 40's are over. I think that Getz is the first star player to sign a deal under the new CBA (could be wrong on that)... he's an elite C, team captain. They couldn't lose him.

What do you think the Wings would do if Zetterberg and Datsyuk were both 27 and heading into UFA this offseason under the new CBA? I think we'd be hearing about a similar deal offered to both guys. Z and D are the Wings cornerstone franchise players, and Getz and Perry are for the Ducks. And all 4 are elite players.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

This is kind of transformation from old system to new system with maximum length contracts. Players don't care about the caphits, they care about the paid money. Caphit is only a GM-tool. Our views about contracts have to be changed dramatically in the new system.

First 8 season salary averages:

Shea Weber - $11.5M
Sidney Crosby - $10.8M
Zach Parise - $10.0M
Ryan Suter - $10.0M
Ilya Kovalchuk - $9.875M
Vincent Lecavalier - $9.8125M
Brad Richards - $9.5M (first 6 years)
Ryan Getzlaf - $8.25M

So Getzlaf is almost an discount contract, that is affected by the ~9% salary cap drop. Without that cap drop his earnings would be ~9.02 million and that's kind of the salary level for a Super-Star -contract, like you see from above.

I would not see why Perry would take any less. Someone is going to pay that easily. Buffalo is another team near Ontario... and Pegula likes to throw money.

threeGo

Oct 18, 2011
Toronto
This is kind of transformation from old system to new system with maximum length contracts. Players don't care about the caphits, they care about the paid money. Caphit is only a GM-tool. Our views about contracts have to be changed dramatically in the new system.

First 8 season salary averages:

Shea Weber - $11.5M
Sidney Crosby - $10.8M
Zach Parise - $10.0M
Ryan Suter - $10.0M
Ilya Kovalchuk - $9.875M
Vincent Lecavalier - $9.8125M
Brad Richards - $9.5M (first 6 years)
Ryan Getzlaf - $8.25M

So Getzlaf is almost an discount contract, that is affected by the ~9% salary cap drop. Without that cap drop his earnings would be ~9.02 million and that's kind of the salary level for a Super-Star -contract, like you see from above.

I would not see why Perry would take any less. Someone is going to pay that easily. Buffalo is another team near Ontario... and Pegula likes to throw money.

no way is perry going to go to a team that doesn't look like it will be competing for the next few years. The city sucks too.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Count Detroit out of the race as well heh

You can't say that if we add Perry to the roster the wings won't compete or contend. We would have some seriously loaded scoring stars and future stars as well as some great defenseman.

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Perry
Brunner
Nyquist
Franzen
Kronwall
(I think one or two of these young defenseman will step up too)
(Sign Danny Dekeyser)

buy out Cleary and Sammy to clear up nearly $6M in cap space (almost pays for Perry and gives room for prospects to move up.)

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
You can't say that if we add Perry to the roster the wings won't compete or contend. We would have some seriously loaded scoring stars and future stars as well as some great defenseman.

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Perry
Brunner
Nyquist
Franzen
Kronwall
(I think one or two of these young defenseman will step up too)
(Sign Danny Dekeyser)

buy out Cleary and Sammy to clear up nearly $6M in cap space (almost pays for Perry and gives room for prospects to move up.)

Cleary is a free agent. But we all know he's getting a 2 year extension. :help:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I can say that because Ken Holland will never have the testicular fortitude to make the appropriate moves to make this team a contender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->