Perry and Getzlaf to Detroit?

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
Didn't do anything outrageous, Quincey was bought out(preferably traded), let the expiring veterans walk, retained the youngsters and Howard. Eaves gone would give us over $5M of cap space that could be spent on a defenseman.

I think you low balling what Nyquist, Brunner and Smith are going to get. Any 5 million plus players signed is going to require buying out Sammy I would think, as well as bert or quincey.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think you low balling what Nyquist, Brunner and Smith are going to get. Any 5 million plus players signed is going to require buying out Sammy I would think, as well as bert or quincey.

Maybe Brunner, but don't think so about the rest as they're RFA's with extremely limited NHL time. Helm got 900k, Ericsson 900k, Abby 800k, Lashoff 725k, Emmerton 500k on their first RFA deal. They will all be short, prove yourself kind of deals.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Maybe Brunner, but don't think so about the rest as they're RFA's with extremely limited NHL time. Helm got 900k, Ericsson 900k, Abby 800k, Lashoff 725k, Emmerton 500k on their first RFA deal. They will all be short, prove yourself kind of deals.

Have to be honest if I am one of those smaller payroll teams like say NYI. I offer Nyquist a 2 million and change contract and make things tough on the Wings. A second round compensation for Nyquist is nothing, he is an interesting target if teams are thinking about it.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Have to be honest if I am one of those smaller payroll teams like say NYI. I offer Nyquist a 2 million and change contract and make things tough on the Wings. A second round compensation for Nyquist is nothing, he is an interesting target if teams are thinking about it.

Holland would match. I don't think you'll see any offer sheets this summer, it basically never works.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

I think there's a bigger chance of a holdout from Nyquist's camp than him signing with a club like the Isles. About 1% chance compared to 0.01%. :)

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
My guess is privately Perry was impressed. They liked to pick on the Wings, but guess what Datsyuk stood up and went toe to toe. As much as people don't like Perry keep in mind things like the Big E fight where his helmet got in the way and Perry didn't take advantage. While he might be one of the poorest losers in the league, he rarely does things outside of what I consider the hockey code, sure from time to time, but not as much as people like to say.

Agreed. I'm all for him in a Wings jersey.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Was just getting at the fact you might be able to target Detroit similar to what happened to Chicago.

Right now the have Brunner, Filppula, Howard, Nyquist and Smith all out there. Say they also want to get involved in the Perry sweepstakes. Pushing Nyquist's and Smith's contracts up could make certain things available or at least pressure the Wings. Realistically they need to sign some of these guys soon or we are going to have some interesting juggling to watch.

Also because of the long development curve and some of the scouting reports taking that chance on Smith or Nyquist might be attractive to the right team. Yes the Wings would likely match but it would certainly screw up their ideas on where these salaries slot.

bgkennedy19

Jan 24, 2011
Howard and Smith are the only ones I want back 100%. Nyquist is expendable if Perry is on board.
Best shot we have is trading filp/Nyquist in a Perry deal. Do not like out chances if he hits FA.
I actually would be good with Kessel, if Perry wanted to be close to home. Cost less maybe.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
RE: Parise

Does anyone remember what teams were reportedly offering him? I know what he signed for in Minny, but I thought the story about that was that Suter asked for less if they gave that to Parise. That's why they ended up with the same deal. I'm sure someone (Philly?) threw out a stupid high offer to him, but my impression was that he didn't get the offers some expected him to get.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Does anyone remember what teams were reportedly offering him? I know what he signed for in Minny, but I thought the story about that was that Suter asked for less if they gave that to Parise. That's why they ended up with the same deal. I'm sure someone (Philly?) threw out a stupid high offer to him, but my impression was that he didn't get the offers some expected him to get.

I think Pittsburgh and Chicago did, I'm not sure how official they were though. Philly was mostly in on Suter. Detroit's offer for Parise was a lot lower than he got with Minny, they were ready to throw money on Suter though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Getzlaf has signed an extension.

8 years, 8.25 million caphit.

Steep price, kind of sure that Perry is gone after that, because they can't afford pay the same for both.

Edge of Sanity*

We officially have a chance at Perry. Not even sure I want him though if his cap hit is going to be over 7.5m. Then again, he is miles ahead of Parise...

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Holland will never pay a guy that much, especially with the cap going down next year. Wave byebye to Perry.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
We officially have a chance at Perry. Not even sure I want him though if his cap hit is going to be over 7.5m. Then again, he is miles ahead of Parise...

Do the ducks have any fighting chance at keeping him or would they have to offer him something ridiculously small? Would you think he is going to expect about or the same salary to sign here?

Edge of Sanity*

Do the ducks have any fighting chance at keeping him or would they have to offer him something ridiculously small? Would you think he is going to expect about or the same salary to sign here?

They have the cap space but I don't know that they have the actual money to pay him that after this insane Getzlaf contract. That + McKenzie of all people saying Perry doesn't want to re-sign and will hit free agency pretty much makes it a guarantee that he'll be available. He's now the only superstar player available in free agency this summer.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It's just not reasonable to keep him when they have great winger prospects coming. Ducks also have inside salary cap, it's kind of ~10 million + salary floor. So you can fit him there at capgeek if Selänne retires etc. but in reality, they are not gonna keep him. I think they trade his UFA right at summer to get some small compensation.

I still have that idea to trade Filppula's UFA rights + pick for Perry's UFA rights at summer.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Honestly I'd be willing to sign him to Perry to a 4/5 year 32/40M deal but anything after 4/5 years and the cap hit is coming down to 7.5M, then to 7M and then around 6.7M.

Perry has only been above a point per game once in his career, the year he won the hart, and that year is looking more and more like an anomaly. Perry is a 70-80 point forward that provides some grit and meanness to a lineup. He's good but not over 8M good.

My offer to Perry would be 6 years for 43.5M, a cap hit of 7.25M. He's a little lower then Parise overall in my eye so that's where the difference comes in.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
He paid Lindstrom close to 8 million with a lower cap.

Not the same at all. Lidstrom was the #1 defenceman in the game, he was arguably the best player in the NHL the 2 seasons after the lockout.

Getzlaf is a top 15 center, but I could name off 7-8+ guys I'd take before Getzlaf and the fact he isn't all that consistent and was in a decline makes this a very risky, but necessary move by the Ducks.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Honestly I'd be willing to sign him to Perry to a 4/5 year 32/40M deal but anything after 4/5 years and the cap hit is coming down to 7.5M, then to 7M and then around 6.7M.

Perry has only been above a point per game once in his career, the year he won the hart, and that year is looking more and more like an anomaly. Perry is a 70-80 point forward that provides some grit and meanness to a lineup. He's good but not over 8M good.

My offer to Perry would be 6 years for 43.5M, a cap hit of 7.25M. He's a little lower then Parise overall in my eye so that's where the difference comes in.

That is a flawed logic.

Parise is getting close to 10M per for first 8 years.

You can't just look at the cap number. Before this lockout players added garbage years at the end to make cap number small (Z, Franzen, Kovi, Richards, etc)

If Perry hits UFA, he can only sign for 7 years max. He will cost minimum 8M per

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Yes, but Lidstrom is stratospheres ahead of a guy like Perry. Couple that with the fact that this was a player Kenny helped bring along (home grown), was a leader already on our defense, part of the core, one of the best defensemen ever, etc.

Perry is looking at ~$9M in FA this summer.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Lidström is a bad comparable, because he was our Odin.

But Holland payed 7.45 million for Hossa, with 56 million cap. That a good comparable.

Loading money for a winger position is not the hockey's brightest idea but hey, that Corey freaking Perry, right handed, huge, power-forward in his prime, a total package that is totally missing from our team. He is an answer to our biggest needs in offence.

Zetterberg has the team-high 7.5 million salary for next 4 seasons.

Perry turns 28 in may, I think we could offer 6 years, 45 million easily for him (7.5 caphit).

Caphit would be team high, but salary is same as Zetterberg's that sets the "bar".

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I hate that punk. I would hope his attitude changes if he's on the team.

Some guys are *******s because it's part of their game - like Pronger or Jackman or Boll.

Then there are guys like Perry that are too good and don't need to be *******s to be elite players. So when they're still *******s, you start thinking "Maybe this guy is just an *******"

Did I mention that I think Perry is an *******?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad