Perry and Getzlaf to Detroit?

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
We missed out on Parise and Suter as well as many others this offseason. That's in the past. Now there's another dynamic duo up for grabs at the end of this season, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf. Both are great players that are used to playing with each other. Both are right handed shooters (something Detroit lacks). And both of them are 27, with the experience and hockey sense that Detroit is known for having on their roster. And both will be UFA's at the end of this season.

Corey Perry is a durable, speedy skater who will fit in well and is a 60-80 point producer every season with a nhl career high of 98.

Ryan Getzlaf is also a 60-80 point producer every season (season high 91), with the reputation of being one of the best two-way forwards in the league.

Detroit has cap space and if this realignment passes Detroit is going to need some more power to regularly play against Pittsburgh, Boston, and other big fast teams in the east. If Detroit picked up both of these guys they would be immediate top cup contenders. We don't know if Datsyuk is going to re sign at the end of next season and Detroit will have a hard time replacing that level of offensive and two-way power and skill. These two guys could be the answer. Do you think Ken Holland should work to sign these two to Detroit? Or do you think just Corey Perry is the better option? I say go for both if he can.

A lot of you will say DEFENSE...WE NEED DEEEEEFENSE!!!!! We can still make moves for d-men or draft them along with the defensive prospects we already have. Kronwall seems to be getting a hold of his role as the defensive leader and someone we can build the defense around. And if we get rid of some dead weight on the roster even more cap space will open up for those options to happen.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Maybe Perry, if he wants to get nearer Ontario and move to Eastern Conference and we are at east at next season. The Ducks will for sure keep Getzlaf if they have to choose one.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Neither is coming to Detroit.
Getz will re-sign, Perry likely will re-sign as well. If he does leave Kenny won't be the highest bidder and even if he wanted to be he'd need to make room by dumping guys like Filp, Sammy, Bert, Cleary, and Cola and that ain't happening.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Neither is coming to Detroit.
Getz will re-sign, Perry likely will re-sign as well. If he does leave Kenny won't be the highest bidder and even if he wanted to be he'd need to make room by dumping guys like Filp, Sammy, Bert, Cleary, and Cola and that ain't happening.

All of those guys except Fil could/should be moved to acquire one of the two.

I'd even dump Fil if it meant we land Ryan Getzlaf or Corey Perry.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Getzlaf no. He is the closest thing to a sure fire resign. He loves Anaheim, and his family lives there. Perry on the other hand is incredibly silent. Lots of Anaheim fans are speculating he probably will bolt for a team closer to home IE Detroit or Toronto. Detroit can offer what Perry wants in a team as well as shelter from a media circus, things Toronto can't really match.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
So would I but I doubt Kenny would.

Gotta make sure the home grown talent is taken care of even if it's way worse. Wings have a reputation to uphold.

Neither will sign in Detroit. That is my motto regarding FA's after the Suter/Parise debacle.

No chance to end up being disappointed.

I would take Perry over Getzlaf.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
A turd who produces 60-80pts per year. Which Corey Perry have you been watching. If its a maturity thing playing with players like Z and Datsyuk will quickly change that.

Eh, this team needs defense more than a top 6 winger right now. I'd rather get Getlaf of the two because having depth at Center is key.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Gotta make sure the home grown talent is taken care of even if it's way worse. Wings have a reputation to uphold.

Neither will sign in Detroit. That is my motto regarding FA's after the Suter/Parise debacle.

I like the not getting the hopes up mentality, would have helped this summer.
Also I'd rather have Getzlaf over Perry just because he is a center and it'd help if Pav does decide to go back home.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Eh, this team needs defense more than a top 6 winger right now. I'd rather get Getlaf of the two because having depth at Center is key.

Don't we have enough playmakers, though?

Would definitely open up space for guys like Franzen.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

Pair of friends go sign lucrative deals elsewhere to play together as planned long before Detroit has a chance =/= Detroit never being able to sign top notch FAs. You can choose to belief in this debunked myth all you want.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I think it COULD happen (getting one of them at least). If he works on talks early to get him thinking as the year goes on I think Corey Perry is a real possibility.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I think it COULD happen (getting one of them at least). If he works on talks early to get him thinking as the year goes on I think Corey Perry is a real possibility.

KH talking with Perry?

Are you talking about trading for his rights, if not I don't think it is allowed to negotiate with another teams player before July 1st.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Chances are so slim but I would drop Bert, Sammy and Cleary, Eaves in a heart beat, bring in Getzlaf and Perry. Woud move Flip as well if need be for cap. Brings us a couple of nice pieces too for when Dats and Z are gone.

Mule, Z, Brunner
Dats, Getzlaf, Perry
Tatar, Helm, Flip
Tootoo, Emmerton, Abs

Even then there are people to bring up that it would be hard to have room for. Would make me want to move flip even more.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I'd love to get Perry. You have to think we would be one of the teams he's interested in with Detroit being close to Toronto and the opportunity to play with Datsyuk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad