Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Wings| Win | Good ole fashioned beating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Realistically, how much worse is Malkin now than in his prime?
He has been under P/GP or just barely over that (like this season) 6 times before.
Wouldn't say he's had particularly good linemates this year until recently.

His PIMs are down. I'd say he's playing some of the best defense of his career, outside of one season.

Yeah his foot speed is slower, but he was never a speedster. His shot isn't as hard. The stamina is worse.
But isn't he making some better decisions in the O-zone now?

Let's say 25 year old Malkin is 100% of his capabilities. What % would you give him now? How much has he declined?
He isn't much worse than he was for much of his post-peak ('11-'12). I would say that from 2012 until 2018 he was pretty much excellent the entire time, but he would miss 20-30% of the season and we always had some re-integration pains/questions of form after injury.

His last 4 years have been far more of an adventure, with the Kessel disaster to the pre-COVID excellence to his disastrous regular season last year.

I'd say '11-'12 is 100% of his capabilities, '12-'18 and '19-'20 are 90% and he's pretty close to 80-90% now.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Guentzel-Crosby-Turd
Prayer-Malkin-Prayer
Enigma-Old Turd-Enigma
Turd-Blueger-Turd

Coaching Staff: Turd, Reirden (too soon after a health issue, wait another month before he becomes a Turd again), Turd
GM: Sleepy Turd
President: Attention-loving Turd

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I get it you are just nit picking. That was a lazy as hell goal against. But those unfortunately happen to every team time to time. Go through all 32 teams 82 games after the season is over and I’d be willing to bet you can fine 1 or 2 goals against like that for every team. Now if it happens habitually and/or is the same player every time… that’s pause for concern.
Almost all blowouts - particularly the ones you establish early - lead to sloppy defensive play for the team who's leading. It's just human nature.
Considering the circumstances though, I thought we were pretty consistent today.

But even on our 11th goal (feels funny to say that), Zohorna is backchecking and makes the Red Wing lose possession of the puck and it goes the other way. Glad he got a point on the play.

I like Z a lot. I feel like a lot of his production is earned through good work. He doesn't get carried. Really want to see him in the lineup for the playoffs.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Almost all blowouts - particularly the ones you establish early - lead to sloppy defensive play for the team who's leading. It's just human nature.
Considering the circumstances though, I thought we were pretty consistent today.

But even on our 11th goal (feels funny to say that), Zohorna is backchecking and makes the Red Wing lose possession of the puck and it goes the other way. Glad he got a point on the play.

I like Z a lot. I feel like a lot of his production is earned through good work. Really want to see him in the lineup for the playoffs.
I hope next year he gets a full season chance to see what he could do with regular play and line mates.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
1648444065448.png

Zohorna is a stud. This isn't updated, but after it is it will say he's been on the ice for 20 goals for and 3 against as a Penguin.
Look at his corsi this year relative to his D-zone starts. That's outstanding.

I don't want to see this guy in Wilkes again.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Twitter had been very defensive of ZAR.

Get it. Defensive. Cos he is.

Probably the same twitter idiots who defended Bylsma's usage of Craig "Iron Man" Adams.

Either part of the kiss-up Pens media or dumbass fans who listen to Bob Errey talk about how guys like ZAR/Adams are warriors that every team needs.

Reactions: Pens x

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I hope next year he gets a full season chance to see what he could do with regular play and line mates.
I think Zohorna and O'Connor will replace Rodrigues and Heinen for all intents and purposes next season. They're slightly cheaper and every penny will count, especially with the way Rakell has fit in.

I haven't checked the cap, but I could see the Pens trying to make the following work:

Guentzel-Crosby-Zucker
Rakell-Malkin-Rust
O'Connor-Carter-Kapanen
McGinn-Blueger-Zohorna

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I think Zohorna and O'Connor will replace Rodrigues and Heinen for all intents and purposes next season. They're slightly cheaper and every penny will count, especially with the way Rakell has fit in.

I haven't checked the cap, but I could see the Pens trying to make the following work:

Guentzel-Crosby-Zucker
Rakell-Malkin-Rust
O'Connor-Carter-Kapanen
McGinn-Blueger-Zohorna
If they resign Rakell, Malkin and Rust, Kap isn’t going to be on this team… Zucker probably won’t be either

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Probably the same twitter idiots who defended Bylsma's usage of Craig "Iron Man" Adams.

Either part of the kiss-up Pens media or dumbass fans who listen to Bob Errey talk about how guys like ZAR/Adams are warriors that every team needs.
They mistake the fact you “can” win with a single offensive black hole that is defensively sound with the idea that you “must” have that kind of guy to win…. I “can” eat a steak with a spoon rather than a fork, but I don’t “have” to, and it certainly isn’t easier….

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Realistically, how much worse is Malkin now than in his prime?
He has been under P/GP or just barely over that (like this season) 6 times before.
Wouldn't say he's had particularly good linemates this year until recently.

His PIMs are down. I'd say he's playing some of the best defense of his career, outside of one season.

Yeah his foot speed is slower, but he was never a speedster. His shot isn't as hard. The stamina is worse.
But isn't he making some better decisions in the O-zone now?

Let's say 25 year old Malkin is 100% of his capabilities. What % would you give him now? How much has he declined?
Malkin’s peak was pretty much 2007-2014, with one injury-riddled season in that time span where he tore his ACL. I’d say he is currently playing at about 80% of that, which still makes him at least as good as your average 1st line NHL Center, if not better. I do agree he is playing smarter hockey nowadays even relative to just last season, which goes a long ways too.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Puck never touched Rakell's stick. Puck was too high, and it looks like it goes off his blade but it's an optical illusion.

Exactly. It never touched Rakell’s stick and the goal is still credited to Malkin a day later. So Rakell is clearly a bust obvs.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
That was fun. In addition to all the skill that we know this team possesses, Rakell's ability to screen the goalie was on full display. It's something we aren't very good at except for Boyle who can't play much, so if Rakell can do it regularly this would be big. Geno beast mode, the whole team passing the ball Globetrotters style - very nice to see. Let's see if they will be fired for the Rangers game. They should be but the team is so unpredictable that one never knows.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I started watching late and stopped watching at 5-0. It's good to have a game like this every once in a while, but not the most fun to watch IMO....although much more fun if you're on the side that's winning.

Only complaint would be the ice time for the defensemen. Sully and Co. did a good job of spreading out the minutes of the forwards (although it would have been nice to get Zohorna more than 9:48). Malkin led with only 16:42, but the defensemen were business as usual. Would have been nice to ease up on Letang and Dumo especially and get Petts-Ruh out there a little more.

Reactions: Andy99

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
I started watching late and stopped watching at 5-0. It's good to have a game like this every once in a while, but not the most fun to watch IMO....although much more fun if you're on the side that's winning.

Only complaint would be the ice time for the defensemen. Sully and Co. did a good job of spreading out the minutes of the forwards (although it would have been nice to get Zohorna more than 9:48). Malkin led with only 16:42, but the defensemen were business as usual. Would have been nice to ease up on Letang and Dumo especially and get Petts-Ruh out there a little more.
Ruh had to go to the dressing room to repair his upper lip. He missed like six or seven minutes.

Reactions: pistolpete11

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
As fun as this game was to watch, a strong statement game with tight defense against NYR on Tuesday would make me a lot happier.

Nice to see the Rakell-Malkin-Rust line gelling. I agree with those who have proposed that Sullivan should try out Guentzel-Crosby-Zucker. Erod hasn't been atrocious on that line but I think he's clearly better suited to a bottom 6 role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad