Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Wings| Win | Good ole fashioned beating

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They were never lights out against the Habs. Malkin started very strong individually in the first game and then fell off a cliff. Line was average.

Fair enough. That ONE game Malkin had like a series-worth of shots, though haha

Succumbed to frustration. Would probably happen again if I'm being honest.

In the end I'm just going to have to default to being super skeptical of any combination that involves Zucker/Malkin. But I guess I also won't completely rule it out depending on what the benefits are to the rest of the roster and if that sacrifice is worth it.

Reactions: Pittsburgh1776

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
E-Rod's shot can be hard, but the issue is that unlike legitimate shooters, he can't consistently place his shot. So it's not accurate and often times either goes right into the goalie's chest logo or goes wide by over a foot.

I agree with the zone entry thing. I think that's literally the only "positive" E-Rod brings to the top line. It gives them a solid zone entry option that doesn't involve Sid or Jake carrying it in. But one that line is in the offensive zone, I think E-Rod's limited skillset starts to drag it down.

I'm not sure if it even's the skillset as much as the mentality. That pass for Sid's goal on Detroit was on the money, both in terms of skill and patience. Compare than to the even easier pass he had against... Columbus? Arizona? That he utterly fluffed. But that's quibbling. He has to hit with his passes and he's not been doing that. If that changes, maybe we'll be wrong.

I’m fine with easing Zucker in and keeping Rodrigues up there. I don’t see any reason why we can’t get away with Guentzel - Crosby - Rodrigues for a few more weeks?

If ERod stays up there for a few more weeks, I hope it's because he's earned it. And I'm not sure how long it'll take for Zucker to be properly up to scratch. But we'll see.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not sure if it even's the skillset as much as the mentality. That pass for Sid's goal on Detroit was on the money, both in terms of skill and patience. Compare than to the even easier pass he had against... Columbus? Arizona? That he utterly fluffed. But that's quibbling. He has to hit with his passes and he's not been doing that. If that changes, maybe we'll be wrong.

If ERod stays up there for a few more weeks, I hope it's because he's earned it. And I'm not sure how long it'll take for Zucker to be properly up to scratch. But we'll see.

It's processing speed. He thinks the game slower than your typical top line players so plays develop faster than he can react to.

He's sort of like that football QB who can hit his receiver with a perfect spiral from 30 yards away if you give him all day. But if the defense is rushing him and the receiver is going to be covered if the pass isn't there in less than 2 seconds, he doesn't see the passing option available until it's too late.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I’m fine with easing Zucker in and keeping Rodrigues up there. I don’t see any reason why we can’t get away with Guentzel - Crosby - Rodrigues for a few more weeks?

For me it's just about making sure we get games for the guys we want to get games if they're ready, and rest a few key guys (or give them fewer mintues/game) to keep them fresh.

The challenge is, besides the last 4 games, we have a pretty challenging schedule in April. We're going up against a lot of really good teams, and I'm worried about slipping to 4th in the division if WSH stays hot, and I don't know what a wildcard seating could potentially mean for us (a match up against Florida?).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's processing speed. He thinks the game slower than your typical top line players so plays develop faster than he can react to.

He's sort of like that football QB who can hit his receiver with a perfect spiral from 30 yards away if you give him all day. But if the defense is rushing him and the receiver is going to be covered if the pass isn't there in less than 2 seconds, he doesn't see the passing option available until it's too late.

I feel like it only happens when on W. Or maybe teams just gave him too much respect when he was at C. Well, whatever it is, I'm not betting on it.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I say we put together Zucker-Malkin again just so the team has a 10 game exercise in overcoming adversity.

Then take it apart when the playoffs start.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I totally agree about the wing span -- it's probably the first thing I noticed in his first couple of games that stood out to me. He's listed at 6'1 but he's got the wing span of a 6'2 player. On a team with a lot of sub 6'0 players, it really stands out.

Heinen, conversely, looks an inch shorter than the 6'1 he's listed at.

The main problem with keeping the Rakell/Maling/Rust line are the following unanswered questions:

- Can Zucker effectively shift over to RW with 59 & 87?

- If the answer to that question is no, can E-Rod really step up in playoff time to up against other teams best Dmen and top lines (or top shut down lines) and be eyea they cantffective on first line RW?

If the answer to both of those are 'no', the only other option is going Guentzel/Crosby/Rakell on L1, and then Zucker/Malkin/Rust on L2. I definitely don't mind that either, I'm just not convinced E-Rod or Heinen can be legit top 6 players come playoff time.
They can't. Doesn't mean Sullivan won't try......... put the round pegs in square holes .

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Boyle obviously isn't the power forward type he once was, but he's been an effective fourth liner for sure. I was as skeptical as anyone that he still had something to contribute to a contending team, and I'm happy to say he's assuaged my doubts. I'd like to see him come back as the 13th forward for another season if he's interested, although depending on how the Pens' offseason goes, Zohorna or O'Connor might end up in that role.

I'd like to see Boyle being rotated in as the 12th/13th F- keep him fresh for another long season next year.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
His numbers match up with what a lot of players in our conference are doing on L1 outside of Florida.
His numbers all come from the first half of the season. Those 15 goals shocked everyone and then he went back to the player he is.
Ya put him on the first line in the play offs and he will play his way right off it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Seems like Sid's line is scoring with Erod too

Not to the same extent over its history. It's having a purple patch now, but the level of teams it is scoring against is pretty low. If Rodrigues with Crosby can sustain this purple patch, get a goal Tuesday, it's a different conversation. But right now there's a clear difference.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is probably going to rebound in my face but the level of confidence people have in fresh from core surgery Zucker on his wrong side as the answer to Sid's wing startles me.

Maybe that'll open up to him shooting more since he's a LHS. Kind of how that benefited Neal switching over to RW.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He's not a Neal-esque sniper though.

Obviously. But he's not taking those shots coming down the LW as much and most of his success has come from down the middle and on the RW side of the ice, being 5 on 5 or the PP. Obviously, those positions get taken up by their top two centers Zucker would frequently enjoy when he was with Minny. Not all, but some players can thrive being more open utilizing their shots more towards the center of the ice than the standard shot being of their handedness from the wall side to keep their forehand to the boards to better handle the puck along the boards. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you already understand.

The main point is to get him shooting more, or just getting him in better position to shoot.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad