Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Wings| Win | Good ole fashioned beating

Status
Not open for further replies.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Peak Malkin had 1.45ppg and scoring was much lower than it's now. 1.45ppg would translate about 1.6-1.7ppg in todays NHL

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
He isn't much worse than he was for much of his post-peak ('11-'12). I would say that from 2012 until 2018 he was pretty much excellent the entire time, but he would miss 20-30% of the season and we always had some re-integration pains/questions of form after injury.

His last 4 years have been far more of an adventure, with the Kessel disaster to the pre-COVID excellence to his disastrous regular season last year.

I'd say '11-'12 is 100% of his capabilities, '12-'18 and '19-'20 are 90% and he's pretty close to 80-90% now.
16-17, in the critical games, was really Geno at his peak IMO. The physicality and nastiness together with speed, power, shot, it was all there. 11-12 was also right there.

He's playing differently now. More restrained, smarter all over the ice. He's sill dynamic offensively but this is a player that can play at a high level for the next several years. I'm not going to say no to morphing into a Ron Francis type center if that's where this is headed.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
View attachment 522836

Zohorna is a stud. This isn't updated, but after it is it will say he's been on the ice for 20 goals for and 3 against as a Penguin.
Look at his corsi this year relative to his D-zone starts. That's outstanding.

I don't want to see this guy in Wilkes again.
Unfortunately he will be, or at least the 14th forward if all forwards are healthy going into the POs…of course it’s the Pens so they will never be healthy, but you know Sullivan, and ERod and even Boyle will be playing over Z…If healthy, I actually think Boyle will play over one of ERod, Heinen or Kap…those three are probably fighting for the last place on the PO roster…Z will be gone as soon as Zucker returns, and probably next week

Last edited:

dekem

Sep 2, 2005
Looked like a good game for clean parking lot zone exits after the second period😊

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Nice to see Rakell all over the board. That wrister in particular was awfully tantalizing as a potential preview of things to come. That shot had almost as much velocity on it as Malkin's HT slapper.

Speaking of which are there other angles I haven't seen or something? Seemed awfully clean to me but everyone was talking last night like it was going to be awarded to Rakell or possibly Rust, even. For some reason I had to laugh a little watching Rust make that savvy little drop pass for Malkin to unload on and scurry aside as quickly as humanly possible to avoid getting hit with that bomb.

I know they just sustained a really shitty loss against the Rangers but the lines are looking terrific, to me. That third line could be a real terror to opposing teams in the playoffs. I honestly don't really know what they do with Zucker if he were to come back right now. I'm even coming around a bit on ERod on L1... for now.

I know it's already been said multiple times but that second goal by Malkin was vintage filth.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Nice to see Rakell all over the board. That wrister in particular was awfully tantalizing as a potential preview of things to come. That shot had almost as much velocity on it as Malkin's HT slapper.

Speaking of which are there other angles I haven't seen or something? Seemed awfully clean to me but everyone was talking last night like it was going to be awarded to Rakell or possibly Rust, even. For some reason I had to laugh a little watching Rust make that savvy little drop pass for Malkin to unload on and scurry aside as quickly as humanly possible to avoid getting hit with that bomb.

I know they just sustained a really shitty loss against the Rangers but the lines are looking terrific, to me. That third line could be a real terror to opposing teams in the playoffs. I honestly don't really know what they do with Zucker if he were to come back right now. I'm even coming around a bit on ERod on L1... for now.

I know it's already been said multiple times but that second goal by Malkin was vintage filth.
I haven’t seen a definitive angle that supports that Rakell tipped it…probably the NHL also

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I haven’t seen a definitive angle that supports that Rakell tipped it…probably the NHL also

I'm not seeing it at all... at the time or on replay. Rakell LOOKS like his blade is roughly in the same area but the puck didn't even twitch on the way past.

Oh well he got his either way haha

Kinda love that sort of outburst in those 90s thirds, too. Seems fitting.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not seeing it at all... at the time or on replay. Rakell LOOKS like his blade is roughly in the same area but the puck didn't even twitch on the way past.

Oh well he got his either way haha

Kinda love that sort of outburst in those 90s thirds, too. Seems fitting.
I enjoy the outrageous stat padding as much as anyone, but that game was so out in left field scoring wise it’s hard to take seriously, given our lack of finishing most of this season…on the other hand, our really putrid defense in our own zone for most of the night was in keeping with our season and is extremely concerning for our chances to get past round one…hoping Jarry puts up a .963 save % every game is not a strategy for long term PO success lol

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I enjoy the outrageous stat padding as much as anyone, but that game was so out in left field scoring wise it’s hard to take seriously, given our lack of finishing most of this season…on the other hand, our really putrid defense in our own zone for most of the night was in keeping with our season and is extremely concerning for our chances to get past round one…hoping Jarry puts up a .963 save % every game is not a strategy for long term PO success lol

Ha... you know me, man. I'm just in it for entertainment at this point. This team has already won as much as a person can reasonably expect.

I have no idea if this team does anything in the playoffs. Recent history says "don't hold your breath." So for now I'm just soaking in the good days.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillPrep and Andy99

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

That slapper has more heat on it than it's had in years to my eye. Using it an awful lot on the PP this year. Finally. Seemed like for three or four years the PP was almost designed to do anything but use that bomb. Never made any sense to me.

I don't see any reason why ERod can't stay on L1. Crosby made due with Sheary, and that line is fast. Sid himself is faster than he's been in years. I'm ok with ERod there as long as he contributes and the line doesn't get smothered.

I think when Zucker comes back, you have a healthy competition for who dresses with ERod, Zucker, and Kapanen, and some others. I don't think we're going to have a set lineup in the playoffs. That's healthy to keep guys on their toes IMO.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That slapper has more heat on it than it's had in years to my eye. Using it an awful lot on the PP this year. Finally. Seemed like for three or four years the PP was almost designed to do anything but use that bomb. Never made any sense to me.

I don't see any reason why ERod can't stay on L1. Crosby made due with Sheary, and that line is fast. Sid himself is faster than he's been in years. I'm ok with ERod there as long as he contributes and the line doesn't get smothered.

I think when Zucker comes back, you have a healthy competition for who dresses with ERod, Zucker, and Kapanen, and some others. I don't think we're going to have a set lineup in the playoffs. That's healthy to keep guys on their toes IMO.

To the bolded... I think that would be nothing but a good thing in most ways.

And yeah Malkin is for sure unloading a lot more this year. He doubled his goal total from last year in three less games. And has like 20 more shots in less games and a 17+ shooting percentage. On pace for 40ish goals over a full season. If Malkin's bomb is actually back then that knee surgery was somewhat a blessing in disguise since it must have allowed his elbow/arm/whatever to heal properly, too.

We were robbed of some classic Geno cellys yesterday, though. He was low key.

Reactions: Pittsburgh1776

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know, I was being sarcastic because a bunch of people were sh*ting on him after his first 3 games for not producing. I loved his game yesterday -- not just the points but the way he was going to the front of the net, throwing some hits & using his size/body effectively, etc.

The sequence leading up to Malkin's HT goal where he nearly scored off of a Rust feed was pretty sweet.

He's much more engaged in front of the net than I expected him to be. He also has better size/wingspan than I was aware of.

I think the team moving away from a Rakell/Malkin/Rust L2 would be a pretty dim bulb move but we'll see. There is absolutely something there.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I know, I was being sarcastic because a bunch of people were sh*ting on him after his first 3 games for not producing. I loved his game yesterday -- not just the points but the way he was going to the front of the net, throwing some hits & using his size/body effectively, etc.
Right. He looks like he can create his own offense which will help Geno a ton.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I'm even coming around a bit on ERod on L1... for now.
He had a nice setup on the Crosby goal...though I doubt many goalies are going to commit 100% to stopping Evan Rodrigues when he and Sid come in on a 2 on 1 :laugh:

In general, Detroit's goalies were absolutely dire in this game. Maybe it goes without saying considering they gave up 11, but that might be the worst goaltending performance iIve ever seen in a regular season game. Felt like every remotely dangerous chance the Pens had went in, and both Detroit goalies had atrocious positioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad