Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Sabres| Shoot out loss | Defense? We dont need to play defense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I really hope we didn't trade for Rakell just to have him play with Jeff Carter.
Sullivan was specific in the post-match yesterday that Rakell was going to be top6 and that they would be working on the options.

I suppose you and others just have to trust that he means this - and means that playing him with Carter was to ease him in as he didn’t have a practise yet. Something he was also specific about.

Do we have to agree on the latter, surely not. But the criticism seems…. over the top.

rick6668

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, NY
Just got home. First loss in person so that sucks, I guess I'll have to live with 10-1.
Nice to see a game with Crosby, Malkin and Letang all score. Glad they got a point. Rust ruined his 100% shoot out percentage.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I really hope we didn't trade for Rakell just to have him play with Jeff Carter.
Seriously? I don't get how people don't understand this yet.

We have done this with prior skilled acquisitions as well. Kapanen started with Sceviour. If you have a lesser role and play with worse players, you feel less pressure and are able to play more simple and more freely. That's the mindset you want with new players who have had no practices yet.
Seemed to work? Kapanen was arguably our best forward last season.

You gradually get more comfortable with the system and then can handle the bigger minutes against the tougher opposition, alongside the top 6 players.

Sullivan has been involved in this league since 1991. He was 23 years old. He's 54 now.
How many cases of big acquisitions has he seen over those 31 years?

Maybe, just maybe, he knows the best way to approach this situation.

1648099224487.png

Look. The transition is already underway. He is starting to get tested.

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I thought the Pens looked a bit off in this one. Not sure if they were tired. They are an older team playing the second of a back to back situation against a team with some young legs like Buffalo. Also could just be flat and overlooking Buffalo with the big showdown with the Rangers up next. Either way, I'm happy we got a point out of it.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I thought the Pens looked a bit off in this one. Not sure if they were tired. They are an older team playing the second of a back to back situation against a team with some young legs like Buffalo. Also could just be flat and overlooking Buffalo with the big showdown with the Rangers up next. Either way, I'm happy we got a point out of it.
100% tired, mentally and physically

The skating speed was worse from more than 3/4 of the players since the day before.

This is what happens when you have a B2B with travel, most of the time. If you want to win the 2nd game, you usually have to adjust to play more safe and smart. You win through good goaltending or good defensive positioning. It's rarely a situation where you can rely on the offense scoring 4+ goals.

This year is a little bit of an aberration in that regard, where the Pens have shown good energy in game #2. But generally throughout my time watching hockey, teams have big issues with energy levels and it impacts results negatively.

1648100078585.png

There's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. The Pens hold on for dear life in game #2 and CDS was brilliant. Was a low event, slow, boring game. This is what they had to do to win, since the legs weren't there.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
ESPN continues to suck more than what I believed possible. Sportscenter dude was cheering "TJ" Miller during Van/Col highlights . At least TNT was pretty good tonight. Infinitely better than the "worldwide leader", but that bar is low.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
It sucks that they moved the other Columbus game to the end of the season instead of Tuesday's. If they'd have moved Tuesday's game, it would've prevented us having to play a rested opponent while tired. Oh, well. Our back-to-back schedule is actually not that bad this season.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
5 min of 4-4
5 min of 3-3
If still tied then:
First to 2 goals shootout , home team shoots first.
Unpopular opinion, but I'd prefer just 60 min games with the soccer points system. 3-1-0
I have zero issue with ties if that's what's deserved.
Since there is an even bigger incentive to win with that system, teams would go for it hard in the final few minutes anyway. They would take risks.
So that would become like overtime right there.

3 on 3, while fun, is more like a circus to me than hockey. Not really reflective of the strength of teams play.
Shootouts are also a gimmick, but a worse one.

Just abolish both of them and use a fair format.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The sky is falling again? This board is funny as usual. Too bad we didn't get the extra point because the OT was all Penguins but it happens. That move by Rakell was fantastic, so close to a highlight reel goal.

Buffalo has been pretty dangerous since Tuch, Thompson and Skinner got hot but let's act like we lost to the worst team ever. Funny how Malkin created three great chances for his linemates in the third period alone, they couldn't score but before that he scored one of his luckiest goals ever. Hockey can be weird that way. It is encouraging that we rallied in the third on a back to back but it's also odd how we either utterly dominate second periods (the previous games) or get caved in big time (this game).
Would be nice to get some secondary scoring, of course, but Anderson also made two saves with the knob of his stick, IIRC, Guentzel had seemingly a gazillion chances to score, etc. All in all, we came very close to winning despite barely playing defense, that's not bad, right?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
People get way too worked up over the ups and downs with this team. This board was salivating over how the Pens annihilated an inferior opponent after the Jackets game, and now people want Sullivan beheaded because they had a stinker against a different inferior opponent. It happens. The team is better than this game.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The sky is falling again? This board is funny as usual. Too bad we didn't get the extra point because the OT was all Penguins but it happens. That move by Rakell was fantastic, so close to a highlight reel goal.

Buffalo has been pretty dangerous since Tuch, Thompson and Skinner got hot but let's act like we lost to the worst team ever. Funny how Malkin created three great chances for his linemates in the third period alone, they couldn't score but before that he scored one of his luckiest goals ever. Hockey can be weird that way. It is encouraging that we rallied in the third on a back to back but it's also odd how we either utterly dominate second periods (the previous games) or get caved in big time (this game).
Would be nice to get some secondary scoring, of course, but Anderson also made two saves with the knob of his stick, IIRC, Guentzel had seemingly a gazillion chances to score, etc. All in all, we came very close to winning despite barely playing defense, that's not bad, right?

I'm more annoyed by L2's defensive play last night
The 1 goal was on Heinen, the other on Malkin.

Sky is not falling, I just worry that every night Rust/Malkin get scored on or don't score a goal Sully will break them up

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pretty much this. Carter and Boyle looked especially slow.

Glad we kept battling and got the point. Not CDS's best game though unfortunately. This team will live and die on Jarry.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I'm more annoyed by L2's defensive play last night
The 1 goal was on Heinen, the other on Malkin.

Sky is not falling, I just worry that every night Rust/Malkin get scored on or don't score a goal Sully will break them up
Well, if Sully is making conclusions based on this game only, he should scratch the entire defense and 4th line. :) He played Rakell with Sid and Jake quite a bit yesterday, I think the obvious next move will be that first line. If it doesn't work, only then will he think of reuniting GCR.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
People get way too worked up over the ups and downs with this team. This board was salivating over how the Pens annihilated an inferior opponent after the Jackets game, and now people want Sullivan beheaded because they had a stinker against a different inferior opponent. It happens. The team is better than this game.
so you are talking about people hyperbolizing shit by hyperbolyzing shit...classic...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know everyone thinks this is me lol, but he makes some good points including this one, which we’ve talked about before in the Salary Cap thread…RW went to the game live last night and noticed this…from his blog:

“I don’t get to too many Penguins games these days with life being as busy as it is. Yesterday was my first one in a few years and my oldest daughter's first Penguins game. The biggest takeaway other than enjoying the higher skilled players doing their thing was seeing how close Brian Dumoulin is to being totally ineffective. I admit this is anecdotal and the Penguins are on the second game of a back to back, but he is a half-step away from being washed. He had to work so hard to get the small amount of separation he did from the opposition. Many times, he has to eat the puck and muscle his way to getting rid of the puck. Basic plays looked like a chore at times. If he has time he’s a very good passer and sees the ice well, but he won’t have as many opportunities to utilize his strengths if he can’t find more foot speed. I would argue the status quo foot speed won’t be good enough come playoff time. The team is going to have to have some serious conversations about what they want to do there. I would move on. Take the assets and the cap space and use it to keep the core players together. The money for Malkin, Letang, and Rust has to come from somewhere. There’s no need to overvalue a mid-tier defenseman showing signs of slowing down even if he was a good player for many years. Players who don’t create or produce offense who lose foot speed don’t classically age well.”

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad