Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Sabres| Shoot out loss | Defense? We dont need to play defense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
so you are talking about people hyperbolizing shit by hyperbolyzing shit...classic...

All I'm saying is it's funny to see the difference between the tone of two threads one day apart based on two games against non-playoff teams. I don't think it's hyperbole to say there are many posters here whose emotions about this team run way too hot based on individual wins and losses. I've been guilty myself at times!

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm more annoyed by L2's defensive play last night
The 1 goal was on Heinen, the other on Malkin.

Sky is not falling, I just worry that every night Rust/Malkin get scored on or don't score a goal Sully will break them up
every line's defensive play was subpar...First line left some glorious chances for Buffalo, CDS stood on his head or they missed, fourth line could not clear the puck for minutes, Carter could not skate out of his zone if the life depended on it...luckily Sully watches films and understand this...It did not help that Letang and Marino could not win one battle and made multiple turnovers...so if you think that L2 was the only reason we got scored on...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I know everyone thinks this is me lol, but he makes some good points including this one, which we’ve talked about before in the Salary Cap thread…RW went to the game live last night and noticed this…from his blog:

“I don’t get to too many Penguins games these days with life being as busy as it is. Yesterday was my first one in a few years and my oldest daughter's first Penguins game. The biggest takeaway other than enjoying the higher skilled players doing their thing was seeing how close Brian Dumoulin is to being totally ineffective. I admit this is anecdotal and the Penguins are on the second game of a back to back, but he is a half-step away from being washed. He had to work so hard to get the small amount of separation he did from the opposition. Many times, he has to eat the puck and muscle his way to getting rid of the puck. Basic plays looked like a chore at times. If he has time he’s a very good passer and sees the ice well, but he won’t have as many opportunities to utilize his strengths if he can’t find more foot speed. I would argue the status quo foot speed won’t be good enough come playoff time. The team is going to have to have some serious conversations about what they want to do there. I would move on. Take the assets and the cap space and use it to keep the core players together. The money for Malkin, Letang, and Rust has to come from somewhere. There’s no need to overvalue a mid-tier defenseman showing signs of slowing down even if he was a good player for many years. Players who don’t create or produce offense who lose foot speed don’t classically age well.”
well, we have been talking about this for a while now, the problem with that is that they usually give good players at least a full season sort of before they start benching them, I think everyone thinks that Dumo will regain his mojo a little bit, I don't see anything changing here...I stated so many times that that is my biggest concern for going deep in the POs...Letang Dumo, first pair that will paly 25 minutes...if they play like they have been playing last 20 or so games nothing else will matter...

Reactions: Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I definitely think the nhl has a scheduling problem. Having back to back games plus 82 games gets more ridiculous every year. The sport just isn’t made for that anymore.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
well, we have been talking about this for a while now, the problem with that is that they usually give good players at least a full season sort of before they start benching them, I think everyone thinks that Dumo will regain his mojo a little bit, I don't see anything changing here...I stated so many times that that is my biggest concern for going deep in the POs...Letang Dumo, first pair that will paly 25 minutes...if they play like they have been playing last 20 or so games nothing else will matter...
Well, unless Jarry is posting a Brodeur-like save % in the POs…I think Dumo is suffering the effects of multiple injuries to his ankle region, including this season…but yeah, who knows if he’ll ever return to form or if he’s washed

in the meantime, they should seriously consider moving Math back up with Letang and Dumo back with Marino to reduce his minutes, or on third pair with Ruh

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
math didn't have a great game either. just say'en
neither one had...Marino probably worst game in a while, prompted Yohe to ask Sully about him...Marino is not good actually non of our dman are good under pressure, Dumo, Petts and Marino lost just about every puck they had on their sticks if they were turned around and got under heavy and fast forecheck, that or blind around the wall play that ends up icing...I think the way to dominate the Pens and beat them is just to put the buck behind if you have fast skater and pressed them against the wall...no idea what the remedy is

Sublimity

Nov 4, 2019
+ We don't have to face Tage Thompson, Destroyer of Worlds in the playoffs this year
This is incredibly off topic, but something that has been bugging me. Does anyone else think he is on a bunch of stimulants or something? From the rapid eye movement on the bench and his overall appearance, especially in his face, just something doesn’t sit well with me. Just kinda has that “look” from someone that abuses the shit out of stims such as Adderall or something harder.

It’s not just him, feel like it’s something I’m noticing more around the league with some players. Somewhat concerning.

John Klingberg is another example. Just looks way different than he did a few years ago.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Saw this stat…I know CDS has probably played lesser competition but Jarry’s save % is not good enough to win a PO round….

Since January 23rd

DeSmith - 8 games. .923 save % all strengths, 2.35 GAA, GSAA 1.30, HDSV% .833

Jarry - 18 games, .915 save % all strength, 2.54 GAA, GSAA -1.30, HDSV% .795

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Funny how Malkin created three great chances for his linemates in the third period alone, they couldn't score but before that he scored one of his luckiest goals ever.
If Malkin had Rakell there instead of Heinen, that would have likely been the difference on one of those plays, and the Pens would’ve been sitting pretty with another two points.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If Malkin had Rakell there instead of Heinen, that would have likely been the difference on one of those plays, and the Pens would’ve been sitting pretty with another two points.
Maybe, Rakell has had a couple glorious chances in the last couple games, which is great, but he hasn’t finished…we need him to finish…that’s why he’s here

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is incredibly off topic, but something that has been bugging me. Does anyone else think he is on a bunch of stimulants or something? From the rapid eye movement on the bench and his overall appearance, especially in his face, just something doesn’t sit well with me. Just kinda has that “look” from someone that abuses the shit out of stims such as Adderall or something harder.

It’s not just him, feel like it’s something I’m noticing more around the league with some players. Somewhat concerning.

John Klingberg is another example. Just looks way different than he did a few years ago.
I didn't notice, but I'm not very observant about stuff like that.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Maybe but Rakell played 5 minutes with Sid and Jake didn't score either. Someone being a better scorer in general doesn't guarantee goals in a given game. Once Rakell gets some practices with the team and moves into the top 6, we will see if he can help steal games like that.

Reactions: Andy99

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Maybe but Rakell played 5 minutes with Sid and Jake didn't score either. Someone being a better scorer in general doesn't guarantee goals in a given game. Once Rakell gets some practices with the team and moves into the top 6, we will see if he can help steal games like that.
He can play both sides but Ducks fans think he’s slightly better on the left wing. That is where his best seasons came, too.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Rakell didn't produce points but he prevented goals against. It's the same impact level, just less sexy. Saved us on the goal line and saved us on the backdoor in the 1st.
Thanks to him we got something out of this game.

I am really encouraged by his play away from the puck and his stick skills. His tenacity on loose pucks and how he hounds guys.
I could really see him working with both Sid and Geno. He's intelligent and will adapt. He'll be good for possession and chance generation.

They were tracking who was skating hardest in this game. He was #1 of all 36 skaters. Busting his ass out there.

Just an unfortunate situation with a rushed arrival and no rest between games. But I'm looking forward to what he can do in the playoffs with the right linemates.
We saw his skillset in OT. His hands are legit.

Flying in to a new team and playing back to backs.

Going to be rough for anyone. I figure Fridays game or the next game after will give us a better view.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
100% tired, mentally and physically

The skating speed was worse from more than 3/4 of the players since the day before.

This is what happens when you have a B2B with travel, most of the time. If you want to win the 2nd game, you usually have to adjust to play more safe and smart. You win through good goaltending or good defensive positioning. It's rarely a situation where you can rely on the offense scoring 4+ goals.

This year is a little bit of an aberration in that regard, where the Pens have shown good energy in game #2. But generally throughout my time watching hockey, teams have big issues with energy levels and it impacts results negatively.

View attachment 521059

There's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. The Pens hold on for dear life in game #2 and CDS was brilliant. Was a low event, slow, boring game. This is what they had to do to win, since the legs weren't there.
Funny you posted this thought, I was about to post something along the same lines. As much as everything is nitpicked here, the lackluster effort for a better part of season has gone largely unnoticed/discussed outside of the GDT's.. Could be the roster and lack of youth, could be an overbearing coach or a combination of both.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Funny you posted this thought, I was about to post something along the same lines. As much as everything is nitpicked here, the lackluster effort for a better part of season has gone largely unnoticed/discussed outside of the GDT's.. Could be the roster and lack of youth, could be an overbearing coach or a combination of both.

The team's effort level is very high. The notion that we're some team coasting along and/or a hot mess that "talents its way to wins" displays lackluster effort in of itself.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The team's effort level is very high. The notion that we're some team coasting along and/or a hot mess that "talents its way to wins" displays lackluster effort in of itself.

Really? They have spurts where they look dominant, but since they got the majority of the injured back it's been very spotty.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
3 points in B2B. Not sure why everyone is upset. We have another stretch from hell coming up. Save your anger for that inevitable .500% go.
Because many have developed PTZD (Post Trade ZAR Depression)

1648186955868.jpeg

Reactions: Zirakzigil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad