Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Kraken: Loss - for want of a goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Mad cred to Carter on 1,300 games. He hasn’t been an NHL caliber player in at least 2 years but keeps on getting put out there by the coach.

I hope when I’m a useless employee some idiot boss keeps me around so I can collect a paycheck.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Dumb game. Also, what grown man goes by “Matty”?
1709297761394.png

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
First time, first time in many years that I actually turned the TV off after the second period. I just knew it. With this coach, everything is the same, f you don't get that lucky bounce or tip in the first, you are facing Vezina and challeng Mr. Vezina with your limp dick shots by Ruhwedel after tirelessly working the puck for 5 minutes along the boards. He f***ing ruined this team and every single player on it.
Someone mentioned that the team did not show up. Wrong! The guys came out flyuing, skating hard, but its now engraved in their heads that the "the only way to break defenseis shooting limp dick shots from the blue line and praying that someone will tip it. They can't play any differently, and there will be games they got lucky break but there will be games that you won't. And this awful PP genius will stick to this PP... but hey I heard he mixed it up in the third and put Jesse with Geno, and DOC with Sid, genius move...Remember the Leap Day when they finally threw yet another season so to prove that they have the greatest coach ever ...

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
How many of those shots were >1ft off the ice? Peewee teams can lift the puck more than these geezers. That is a game we've should've won 2-1.

Exactly the same team as the last few years... Sullivan should have been gone long ago.
more years

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
At least the front office can't pretend that this team has turned things around. They have not and will not. They need to send out everyone they can before the deadline.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
At least the front office can't pretend that this team has turned things around. They have not and will not. They need to send out everyone they can before the deadline.
It's been 3 years now so I really hope for their sake they figured it out. This team is a win one lose one. They're done and things need to change going forward, enough being a yoyo

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
In the first period the Penguins seemed to be creating some actual high danger chances but couldn't score. Then they fell behind, got frustrated and fell back to being completely lost in the offensive zone. Malkin got some chances but unfortunately has forgotten how to score. The result might be somewhat unlucky since the Kraken were just as bad in attack but when your PP has no visible plan whatsoever, is absolutely no threat in the bumper position and for some mysterious reason only grandpa Carter is allowed to try to screen the goalie you deserve all the losses you get. An older team like ours needs to make its man advantage count even more than your average team and yet they look even more clueless on the PP than at 5 on 5.

But I am sure this has nothing to do with coaching, everyone knows superstar players are prone to younger onset dementia and forgetting how to play on the power play, right?

Anyway, in the long run it's almost certainly better if it becomes known for sure that the Pens have no shot at the playoffs before the deadline comes but must they be so boring when they lose? Take some chances, try something else rather than hope that this time that unscreened wrister from the blue will sneak in.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
BTW Joseph has been playing so damn well, doesn't get enough credit for it. Turdwedel is not an nhl'er at all and its comical he keeps getting played. Maybe Dubas can get a conditional 7th for him.

POJ is so freaking weird. Last season he took a big step bc they gave him a ton of opportunity.
This year he mostly got 3rd paid duties and looked completely lost.

But now they've bumped him up against harder competition/more TOI and he responds.
I wonder if he's just a guy that gets 'cold' sitting on the bench and when he's constantly engaged, he just has a motor that won't quit.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Pens no longer control their own destiny. They're 7 back with 3 games in hand so even if they win all 3 in hand they still need to have a Philly lose more than them down the stretch. That isn't even considering NJ who'll probably add who they'd tie if they win their 2 games in hand on them.

It's not happening. Sell! Sell! Sell!

Still pisses me off that the worst GM in Pens history protected Carter.
And Kap. And Blue.

Seeing McC and Tanev out there for Seattle when they could have just lost Carter/KK/Blue instead made me sad.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm pretty sure Sully believes in the hockey gods and that a red carpet would be laid out for Jeff Carter to get a goal in his 1300th game. Because why else he would be out there over Smith with the goalie pulled is beyond me.

+++ that period and a half Geno. We need that Geno
++ POJ. He is a f'in guy. 3rd best defender at playing defense we have.
+ Acciari. Should be getting 3C minutes.
≠Jarry
- Ruhwedel. All that passing just to set our golden sniper Chad Ruhwedel for 4 SOG.
-- Puljujarvi. Is not a f'in guy.
---Eller. Biggest poser on the team. So sick of it.

How about that Geno score a goal? His shot blows now. So inaccurate.

He played well, shot terribly. He's shooting like 10% this year, that has got to be below average for a forward. A big part of the finishing problem.

Agree with the rest.

Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas can't fix this until he finally sees that Sullivan and his coaching is the primary issue. Not Sullivan the person. But his insistence on his way is killing this franchise. Now if Dubas simply can't fire him then why bother. But if he truly starts to make the moves needed including coaching being fired and a new emphasis on 2024 NHL hockey then Pens can be good enough to compete. Yes blow it up but not completely. Move Jake. After next year moving Rust, Karlsson for picks, have to move Geno or he retires. Hire a coach for next year to start the process knowing these changes are going be needed to bring in talent to win down the road with enough to compete while rebuilding.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think coaching is the sole problem by any means, but it doesn't matter if we revamp the roster for the 4th or 5th time if we keep making the same basic mistake by trying to play a system our core cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad