Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Kraken: Loss - for want of a goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Pens no longer control their own destiny. They're 7 back with 3 games in hand so even if they win all 3 in hand they still need to have a Philly lose more than them down the stretch. That isn't even considering NJ who'll probably add who they'd tie if they win their 2 games in hand on them.

It's not happening. Sell! Sell! Sell!

And Kap. And Blue.

Seeing McC and Tanev out there for Seattle when they could have just lost Carter/KK/Blue instead made me sad.
This board largely defended sleepy’s horrible handling of the expansion draft.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
This board largely defended sleepy’s horrible handling of the expansion draft.

I'll still defend it and I have legit reasons for my position. If people want to play the hindsight game, all power to them.

But JC at one point and time was very very good for this team. The guys we lost in the ED didn't have a role on this team at that time. And frankly the way Sully coaches, I'm not sure they would today either

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'll still defend it and I have legit reasons for my position. If people want to play the hindsight game, all power to them.

But JC at one point and time was very very good for this team. The guys we lost in the ED didn't have a role on this team at that time. And frankly the way Sully coaches, I'm not sure they would today either

Props to you for owning it and not retconning it.

In hindsight, of course they should have kept and protected McCann. But us "outplaying" the Isles in 2021 was largely down to #77. Certainly wasn't GCR.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I still maintain that Carter's usefulness those two seasons he was okay was largely the result of having a shortened season and limited travel. Which isn't to mean that he couldn't have been useful for longer with us if he had been rested more often, but Sullivan can't think strategically, so... we ended up over-relying on him and now he looks like shit because he's just incapable of playing these minutes.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Props to you for owning it and not retconning it.

In hindsight, of course they should have kept and protected McCann. But us "outplaying" the Isles in 2021 was largely down to #77. Certainly wasn't GCR.

Yup- JC basically was the only guy who showed up to play that series.

Also note that JC essentially carried the Pens early the following season as Sid and Geno had long term injuries they were recovering from. He was 1C and did a damn fine job considering his age. He kept the team afloat until reinforcements arrived.

The issue wasn't protecting him. The issue was extending him for an idiotic reason...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Maybe I'm just dumb but I still don't get that worked up over the ED. Even though protecting Jeff Carter was kind of an eyeroll even at the time. Impossible to say for sure but I highly, highly doubt McCann does here what he's doing in Seattle.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, there is absolutely no doubt McCann would be a better asset to have on this team than Smith, Carter, Acciari, Harkins, Nieto, Poolparty, and whoever our trash waiver pick up du jour is. But I also feel the reason the waiver wire shook out as it did was because Sullivan wanted those players there and he wasn't going to accept any other options.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Waive Harkins, trade Acciari, HS Pujujvarvi...there's 3 slots right there.
I'll be honest. I'm surprised by Acciari's performance as a Pen. Every other stop he's looked exactly like the type of 4th liner you'd want; physical, decent defensively, and can chip in offense.

Sullivan has somehow turned what should have been a great pickup into one of the biggest duds.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'll be honest. I'm surprised by Acciari's performance as a Pen. Every other stop he's looked exactly like the type of 4th liner you'd want; physical, decent defensively, and can chip in offense.

Sullivan has somehow turned what should have been a great pickup into one of the biggest duds.

I was honestly pretty excited to see what he could do here this season. Womp womp.

Another object lesson on reserving judgement on players until you see them on THIS team. Couldn't tell you why that is. Total mystery. Must just be bad luck. Or Ron Hextall's fault.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Shouldn’t have been surprised lol…is there one player who arrived here with great laurels who has not looked like shit under him? Lol

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Look at Bleuger.. it's gotta be about deployment, and Sullivan takes out any offense these guys might be able to contribute and turns them into puck-eaters who stall the game until the top six comes out.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Don't underestimate the effects of having to play with Jeff Carter too. That's going to be a drain on any player.

My take on Acciari is he's not well suited to be a center and he's getting dragged down by having to play with Carter. I think we could see him rebound if the Pens used him on wing and without JC. But it is what it is.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I'm convinced Dubas wants to rebuild and has just been waiting for this group to fall flat like they have.
You give Doobler far too much credit. As do most, to be fair, as the guy seems to have failed upwards for most of his adult life.

If Kyle really had this approach coming in, he wouldn’t have traded a 1st + right off the bat. He really thought he could improve this team and give them another couple of years of playoff appearances, and his actions suggest this by trading a 1st + for EK and otherwise starting so aggressively last offseason. Instead, the team is worse today than when Doobler took charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad