Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Isles | Loss | Throwing away points to our rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Criticizing Sully is valid but criticizing Sullivan for comments in the media is dumb as hell.

You know what kind of coaches say interesting things in press conferences? Very dumb ones.

You guys need some life lessons from Crash Davis.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Criticizing Sully is valid but criticizing Sullivan for comments in the media is dumb as hell.

You know what kind of coaches say interesting things in press conferences? Very dumb ones.
True in general but many of the dumb things Sully says in press conferences seem to match his actions as a coach nowadays, so there is a lingering suspicion that he might actually believe his own BS.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I mean, I think Desmith has had what is expected of him at 1.8 mil.

That’s a bottom third contract for a bottom third player at his position.
Nah that’s where I think you are wrong.
Well I think that is an absurd take. Expecting Casey Desmith to carry this team when they can’t shut down one of the worst offenses in the league is ridiculous. Desmith gave up one bad goal today.

I think your takes in CDS are absurd. Dude has underperformed. He was allegedly a top back up. Those guys can step in and be a starter when needed and go .500 on a playoff team. If that isn’t CDS, then shame in Hextall for re-signing the guy knowing Jarry has injury issues (this was known last year).

There are other problems no doubt. I just don’t like you using the other problems as a means to downplay CDS’ play and the goalie issue in general. Goaltending is a major issue on this team between injuries and inconsistent play. Again, not the only problem but if it’s not fixed, nothing else they could do will matter.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
When Bylsma said "we just need to get to our game" people rightly wanted his head, and now we're just happy to be on the ice with someone the all time greats, like the Islanders. :laugh:

I hope it's in the city budget next year to take another field trip to see the Islanders hall of fame. One of Sallys favs too!

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

This forum holds the importance of post game press conferences in an absurdly high regard.

I'm going to critique everyone of those PCs till you retire here screaming.

Reactions: vodeni

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
He was allegedly a top back up.
Alleged by who exactly? Most fans of other teams don't even know who the hell CDS is, let alone consider him a top backup. I doubt the journalists like him that much either.

More importantly, how many games have we lost because of DeSmith in which the defense wasn't also a shitshow? Rather few, I think. DeSmith's mediocrity merely confirms what people suspected - that Jarry's stretches of looking like a Vezina candidate are masking this team's horrible defense and mental fragility. Back in December when the Pens looked good, Jarry had some ridiculous stretch of saving something like 97 of the last 100 shots in third periods. If the goalie allows a soft goal in second half of games, the Pens crumble, this is a recipe for disaster unless you have a truly elite goalie and even then it's very much sub-optimal.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
So, SO happy I spent my Friday night watching this game. Hadn’t watched a game in a month because of precisely what happened last night.

The team has the mental toughness of Proctor from Police Academy. So many blown leads. I wonder how many goals the team has allowed within 2 minutes of scoring one of their own this year. I’m guessing 40+.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Next week:

Reporter: "What is your take on tonights loss Sully"

Sully: "It was a hockey night in Pittsburgh! HurrRRRR DERRRRR!"

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This forum holds the importance of post game press conferences in an absurdly high regard.
I don't think they're anything to write home about, and you're right, Sully saying "we have to make some changes" in the postgame and then not doing it would be dumb and also counterproductive.

But I don't think it's really out of line to criticize the team for not showing any heart or even realization that they need to fix the problems on the ice; I don't even know if they know it's a problem. That's the issue. It's not like it's the one thing that's wrong with this team, it's just merely a symptom of a squad that doesn't have the drive to compete anymore.

I just don't see how you can knock people frustrated with the team. This isn't a 5 game losing streak in the middle of an otherwise good season, like in years previous. :dunno:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
this is why I think you have to go just beyond the roster but the use of it and the system when you're looking for what this team is as abysmal as it is. on paper, almost all of the moves made sense, but the execution has been so off the last few years and so consistently inconsistent, that it really falls on the coaching staff as well as the players.

guarantee there will be absolutely no changes with this team going forward either, unless it's a trade.
at best a trade only gets us a another better on paper and we all know what happens next.:laugh:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I don't think they're anything to write home about, and you're right, Sully saying "we have to make some changes" in the postgame and then not doing it would be dumb and also counterproductive.

But I don't think it's really out of line to criticize the team for not showing any heart or even realization that they need to fix the problems on the ice; I don't even know if they know it's a problem. That's the issue. It's not like it's the one thing that's wrong with this team, it's just merely a symptom of a squad that doesn't have the drive to compete anymore.

I just don't see how you can knock people frustrated with the team. This isn't a 5 game losing streak in the middle of an otherwise good season, like in years previous. :dunno:

I could care less about what @NewAgeOutlaw thinks is dumb or not.

He probably should have kept his mouth shut because now I'm gonna meme the ×hit out of this the rest of the year.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Here's the thing with press conferences....

We literally get no other insight into the players or coaches outside of them

So if they're just using really really really stupid cliches, and putting THAT display on during games...

Why should we not mock, meme, and shit all over them?

It is all we have to work with outside of our eyes tests, lol.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I mean take Rooney Tunes on the other side of town. Probably the most bizarre quote ever a few weeks ago.

Asked about how he felt about Mike Tomlin going forward. "I don't have to evaluate Mike. I'm just glad hes here."

I'm just glad hes here......:laugh::laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
if jarry is out long term, we are done anyway. so the more we lose the better.
Long-term that most certainly is what's best for business. I hope we lose four or five in a row rather decisively and start selling players off. The party's over people, let's all leave before it's too late and cousin Ned would want us to help clean up.

Reactions: Night Shift

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I can't believe we're worried about Coach speak in a press conference after a game we most certainly should have won. What do you want him to say people? Much like the team he's floundering. He knows what's coming, you all know it's coming, yet you want to rage against the machine. Do what you do in your personal life, give up! LOL sometimes you have to know when you're beaten. This is one of those occasions. This team is dead in the water. Leave them for dead and out of the remnants will rise new, hopefully exciting young players and draft picks. It may pay off, it may not, but this team unequivocally is going nowhere fast!

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I can't believe we're worried about Coach speak at a press conference after a game we most certainly should have won. What do you want him to say people? Much like the team he's floundering. He knows what's coming, you all know it's coming, yet you want to rage against the machine. Do what you do in your personal life, give up! LOL sometimes you have to know when you're beaten. This is one of those times. This team is dead in the water. Leave them for dead and out of the remnants will rise new young players and draft picks. It may pay off, it may not, but this team unequivocally is going nowhere fast!

He's floundering alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille