Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Isles | Loss | Throwing away points to our rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I'm not writing any winger in the bottom 6 off at this point considering the 3rd line center collects social security benefits and the 4th line center hits the crossbar on an empty net.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Isles fan, here in peace. The rule is 22 hours, we play at 5 tomorrow. Last night's start time was moved up from 7:30 due to the rule.
So that looks like both teams are getting shafted in tomorrow's (today's) games against rested teams to this mountain time zone fan. I stand by my point of not watching :thumbu: That's piss poor planning all around.

Reactions: Andy99

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Well I think that is an absurd take. Expecting Casey Desmith to carry this team when they can’t shut down one of the worst offenses in the league is ridiculous. Desmith gave up one bad goal today.
He gave up 3 bad goals and was out of position a ton more.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Danton Heinen on his worst days is better than Carter, McGinn or Kap right now

Absurd take.

The Pens play putrid D as they always do when they take a lead and let the Isles get back into it.
No you’re the only one being absurd about this. DeSmith at one point has 4 goals against on 16 shots.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That's why I roll my eyes when people blame the roster flaws on Hextall alone. The roster Hextall has built this year should be at least comparable to what the Penguins were last year. Instead, it's just not performing. It's not just his additions that haven't been performing, it's both long-term players here and additions he has made that are causing the issues with this team.
this is why I think you have to go just beyond the roster but the use of it and the system when you're looking for what this team is as abysmal as it is. on paper, almost all of the moves made sense, but the execution has been so off the last few years and so consistently inconsistent, that it really falls on the coaching staff as well as the players.

guarantee there will be absolutely no changes with this team going forward either, unless it's a trade.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Went from one of the best performances of the year to a regulation loss. :laugh:

Something is just off with this team. They struggle so much to shut games down and hold leads. Pretty alarming. Obviously goalie is a big part of that and DeSmith just isn't going to cut it but we've seen some of these performances with Jarry in net too. Hopefully they figure something out and get this corrected. I'm not holding my breath though.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Went from one of the best performances of the year to a regulation loss. :laugh:

Something is just off with this team. They struggle so much to shut games down and hold leads. Pretty alarming. Obviously goalie is a big part of that and DeSmith just isn't going to cut it but we've seen some of these performances with Jarry in net too. Hopefully they figure something out and get this corrected. I'm not holding my breath though.
Nothing is really "off" with the team beyond they look good against bad teams and bad against good teams, because they're not actually a very good team. Add into that the complacency that comes with not really having anything left to prove and a coach that plays favorites and won't actually coach, and this is the result.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Play your best game of the season for the first 30 minutes, end up finding a way to loss in an embarrassing fashion. Experience Penguins hockey!

This is the most mentally fragile team I have ever seen, this alone should be grounds for immediate dismissal of the coaching staff. The moment I saw the Isles second goal I said to myself "Here we go again" and, lo and behold, the team found a way to lose in a really stupid fashion, as it has done so many times this season. Yes, DeSmith should have saved that goal. But if your team falls apart almost every time the goalie allows bad goal and your starter is injured so often, you are going nowhere.

Allowing goals in the worst possible times is also a huge issue and a sign of mental fragility. Our "shut down line" was on the ice for the crucial momentum switching third Islanders goal and grandpa Carter was too busy picking up his dropped up stick to mark Barzal of course. And the less said about our first pairing on D, the better. Despite the shot clock disparity, the high danger chances were almost equal

Top 2 lines were pretty good offensively, obviously but Rust missed so many chances and then couldn't prevent the GWG. Had to laugh when Mears said "this line (L2) can't be stopped, they are doing everything but scoring". I guess it can be stopped after all, right Steve? Funnily enough, they scored almost immediately after, but considering how dominant the line was, scoring one and allowing one isn't good enough.

The special teams are bad too, another master class from Sullisma. Also, DeSmith is either standing on his head or pretty bad with no middle ground. When it's obvious that he is bad and we have a game tomorrow, how about pulling him and rolling the dice with Tokarski? With this defense, it may well not have worked, of course, but keeping CDS didn't work either...

Last edited:

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
FSG should have blown it up last offseason!! I get why they didn't do it, coming in & blowing a Dynasty up would not be a good look & especially with the Red Sux fans coming on here & warning us how that is what they will do. But they should have blown it up Sid, Geno & Letang in Mid 30's can no longer cover the warts of the rest of the team. & for God sakes get DeShit out of here & if Jarry has bad hip/s Get him gone too

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I forgot to mention that the Pettersson turnover for the first Isles goal was Rob Scuderi circa 2015 bad. He passed it right to Barzal when there wasn't any Penguins player anywhere near Barzal. Then he lost sight of the puck and didn't even try to play the body on Lee. Not that it would have done much considering the strength disparity. It's this kind of self-inflicted wounds that is killing the team this season.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Mental issues can’t really be fixed by roster moves, IMO, especially since it’s not like this team doesn’t know how to play, they’re just not at all prepared to battle for 60 minutes, regardless of who’s in the lineup.

Swapping in some hungry young players would only help so much, since it’s not like it’s only the bottom 6 that is killing us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad