Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Isles | Loss | Throwing away points to our rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Excited for another team humiliating defeat this evening.
What is their record against the east or playoff teams?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Excited for another team humiliating defeat this evening.
What is their record against the east or playoff teams?
Record against playoff teams since Dec 1 (this would not include our 0-2 record against the Isles but would include 0-2 record against NJD)— 4-11 ….OT/SO losses are counted as losses

EDIT: Pens are 2-6-2 on second half of b2b games this season…I’m sure that record is worse when you just count b2b against an opponent who is rested…no hope today lol

Last edited:
Reactions: LOGiK

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I just don't see how you can knock people frustrated with the team.

????????? I specifically said that it is understandable to be critical of Sully and the team. I'm just saying that having any expectations of substance coming out of a press conference with an athlete or coach is stupid because they are literally taught to be as vanilla and boring as possible.
I could care less about what @NewAgeOutlaw thinks is dumb or not.

He probably should have kept his mouth shut because now I'm gonna meme the ×hit out of this the rest of the year.

Man, I am so owned right now because you are gonna spend your time watching boring and pointless post game press conferences. You got me, man.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Another stat courtesy of the Tribune-Review…

“In terms of division wins, the Penguins have only recorded five victories this season (5-5-4). Only the last place Columbus Blue Jackets (4-12-2) have fewer within the Metropolitan Division.”

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
????????? I specifically said that it is understandable to be critical of Sully and the team. I'm just saying that having any expectations of substance coming out of a press conference with an athlete or coach is stupid because they are literally taught to be as vanilla and boring as possible.
I mean, I get you and agree with you. But it seems to me like what you're describing is mostly people who would just desperately like some acknowledgement from the team that, well, this is not going to plan and that they have some kind of idea to at least improve it in the short and or long term.

That's all. I don't expect Sullivan to say anything earth shattering or anything, but not addressing the obvious elephant in the room does not give me any hope. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Play your best game of the season for the first 30 minutes, end up finding a way to loss in an embarrassing fashion. Experience Penguins hockey!
This is literally why last night was so frustrating, and why things like this happening so often is an indictment of the coach.

The Pens *were* dominating. And even after Pettersson's idiotic gaffe, were able to get out to a 3-1 lead and were in complete control of the game (shots were something like 24-8 at that point). But then they can't help themselves and end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is literally why last night was so frustrating, and why things like this happening so often is an indictment of the coach.

The Pens *were* dominating. And even after Pettersson's idiotic gaffe, were able to get out to a 3-1 lead and were in complete control of the game (shots were something like 24-8 at that point). But then they can't help themselves and end up shooting themselves in the foot.

One day we will get goaltending.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I'm sure it's been said...but I don't say much here anymore so I'll echo it:

It's tough to watch this team. Near maddening going from a front office that would have traded our 2025 1st 4 months ago to a FO that is gun shy in the face of certainty. Our bottom 6 stinks, has stunk all year, will always stink.

For every inch of ground gained with the years Petts and POJ are having - we've lost several more with the years Dumo, Petry, Ruh are having.

But yeah, plenty of blame on the coaching too - but it can't start and end there. My freaking goodness the thought of a SINGLE TDL move saving this team is such a long shot.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Alleged by who exactly? Most fans of other teams don't even know who the hell CDS is, let alone consider him a top backup. I doubt the journalists like him that much either.

More importantly, how many games have we lost because of DeSmith in which the defense wasn't also a shitshow? Rather few, I think. DeSmith's mediocrity merely confirms what people suspected - that Jarry's stretches of looking like a Vezina candidate are masking this team's horrible defense and mental fragility. Back in December when the Pens looked good, Jarry had some ridiculous stretch of saving something like 97 of the last 100 shots in third periods. If the goalie allows a soft goal in second half of games, the Pens crumble, this is a recipe for disaster unless you have a truly elite goalie and even then it's very much sub-optimal.

By those on this board constantly posting his stats over the past few years and pumping his tires. I don't disagree the Pens have other issues and I am all for dumping Sully (it's clearly not happening). So in the absence of a coaching change, it's abundantly clear the Pens need an upgrade in the net. Jarry is always injured and still unproven in the playoffs and Desmith is mediocre. Hextall had an opportunity to take goaltending more seriously in the offseason and he decided to bring back this duo, which many on here praised when the contract was signed. I always thought it stunk and CDS needed to go.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
“I thought for the majority of the game tonight our team was terrific,” coach Mike Sullivan said.

This is why we suck.

By those on this board constantly posting his stats over the past few years and pumping his tires. I don't disagree the Pens have other issues and I am all for dumping Sully (it's clearly not happening). So in the absence of a coaching change, it's abundantly clear the Pens need an upgrade in the net. Jarry is always injured and still unproven in the playoffs and Desmith is mediocre. Hextall had an opportunity to take goaltending more seriously in the offseason and he decided to bring back this duo, which many on here praised when the contract was signed. I always thought it stunk and CDS needed to go.

Is anyone pumping Desmith's tires?

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
By those on this board constantly posting his stats over the past few years and pumping his tires.
So nobody in particular but a handful of posters on a message board. Got it.

I personally don't think re-signing DeSmith was a particularly good idea. I am merely arguing that he isn't the main reason for the team's struggles.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So nobody in particular but a handful of posters on a message board. Got it.

I personally don't think re-signing DeSmith was a particularly good idea. I am merely arguing that he isn't the main reason for the team's struggles.

It's always goaltending though? How will we sell our narrative of this team being good if they got goaltending?

I mean if the GM continues to employ the incompetent coach doesn’t it fall on him as well?

Sure. Fire both of them. Who cares?

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don't think anyone gives Hextall a free pass on this site.

A lot of just believe there is nothing he can do with the coach he currently has.

If Hextall gets fired, I won't care.
Plenty of people still defend Hextall on this site. It’s odd and frightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad