Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Isles | Loss | Throwing away points to our rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If only we had McCann, Tanev and Rodrigues we'd have depth scoring!!!

Tanev in 18-19. 1 goal in his last 20+ games.
McCann in 19-20. 1 goal in his last 20+ games.
McCann in 20-21. 2 5v5 goals in his last 20+.
Rodrigues in 21-22. 2 goals in his last 20+ games.
Why don’t you provide the stats from our current bottom six? Worst line in the league? Yup, we got it. Who signed all three? Sleepy hex.

But but but we have no cap space! Never mind the fact that sleepy pissed away almost $10 mill on Kap, Carter and McGinn. Something something Jack Johnson and JR.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Bottom six has sucked under Sullivan for literally four years every time we are healthy.
Ahhhh it all comes back to Sully. Gotcha. Sullivan is trash, but can you admit that Hextall is too? I know you love defending crappy players; do you also love defending horrible front offices?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ahhhh it all comes back to Sully. Gotcha. Sullivan is trash, but can you admit that Hextall is too? I know you love defending crappy players; do you also love defending horrible front offices?

I rarely defend crappy players, I just acknowledge reality when it comes to cap hits.

I hated the Carter extension the day it was signed while a lot of the posters who are criticizing him now said it was a great move.

I don’t really mind Hextall as a GM. Most of his moves have been fine. He locked up the core for cheap and acquired our best winger for a relatively low cost.

If he’s fired I think that’s fine too. He hasn’t changed the trajectory of this team and FSG probably wants their own hire.

Nothing will change though if we continue to have Sullivan as our coach.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Fire Sully (see how team reacts.. ain't going to happen)
Fire Hextall (after season, see how the team/coach does... ain't going to happen)

We've switched the Bottom 6 andd Assitants out for years now same results under Sully. Top 6 may score but they are pretty f***ing suspect on team defense.

We are not a good team at all, Sully's message has been lost and they just don't respond for an entire game. We are literally a roll of the dice on ice, even between shifts. (that is the definition of bad coaching/lost voice.)

Hextall has been blah... (Rakell was good. Carters age/cap hit not being 1m is really bad) and I'm not sure who really gets to make the decisions on keeping the "band" together. I.e. why not try to upgrade the goalie instead of settle for Desmith? Was that Sully wanting him back or Hextall? I'd say either way the buck falls on Hex.

Anyway, we've played Mediocre + for most of the year. I don't think we are turning on some magical switch.
Also, no way we get past Toronto now... so don't waste assets if we think the coach/GM may need to move.

We would have a chance in Playoffs when it's a 1 game series... over 7 games... good f***ing luck. We are not consistent team and Sully's 3-0 leads turning in into 4-5 losses will show us the door. (I think it's over this year)

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
My stance on Hextall is that he inherited a shitstorm after JR; a team with next to no assets and no cap space with several issues to solve. He's done what everyone expected, and that's be patient and shrewd, probably to a fault considering the timing for the team/window. There are several things I think he f***ed up with, and the bottom-6 is squarely on his shoulders imo. There are things out of his control, like trying to fire a guy above him on the food chain in Sullivan, and trying to find meaningful additions without hemorrhaging assets like JR did because the era is rapidly winding to a close. It's only getting worse from here on out, fellas. :laugh:

Short of landing Meier, Chychrun and Vejmelka, this team's cooked--and Hextall doesn't have the ability or assets to have that kind of deadline. They've been locked in a repeat of Groundhog's Day for years, with no end in sight. If they make the playoffs, which I'm still pretty sure they will, they're done in the 1st round imo. If they miss, who f***ing cares? :laugh:

I still think they make it, again, but the best thing for this team is to stumble badly heading into the deadline, have the guts to trade off expiring deals like Zucker and Dumo, and coast into a top-15, maybe top-10 pick. As soon as Sid starts to lose some steam, this team is El Stinko.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
My stance on Hextall is that he inherited a shitstorm after JR; a team with next to no assets and no cap space with several issues to solve. He's done what everyone expected, and that's be patient and shrewd, probably to a fault considering the timing for the team/window. There are several things I think he f***ed up with, and the bottom-6 is squarely on his shoulders imo. There are things out of his control, like trying to fire a guy above him on the food chain in Sullivan, and trying to find meaningful additions without hemorrhaging assets like JR did because the era is rapidly winding to a close. It's only getting worse from here on out, fellas. :laugh:

Short of landing Meier, Chychrun and Vejmelka, this team's cooked--and Hextall doesn't have the ability or assets to have that kind of deadline. They've been locked in a repeat of Groundhog's Day for years, with no end in sight. If they make the playoffs, which I'm still pretty sure they will, they're done in the 1st round imo. If they miss, who f***ing cares? :laugh:

I still think they make it, again, but the best thing for this team is to stumble badly heading into the deadline, have the guts to trade off expiring deals like Zucker and Dumo, and coast into a top-15, maybe top-10 pick. As soon as Sid starts to lose some steam, this team is El Stinko.
Meier is a pipe dream. The Devils are supposedly all-in on him and they can blow the doors off of any prospect package we could put together.

Chychrun...who knows.

I do think Hextall will get something done I just don't expect it to be significant given our cap issues and lack of assets and lack of willingness to trade what few assets we have left.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Meier is a pipe dream. The Devils are supposedly all-in on him and they can blow the doors off of any prospect package we could put together.

Chychrun...who knows.

I do think Hextall will get something done I just don't expect it to be significant given our cap issues and lack of assets and lack of willingness to trade what few assets we have left.

I wonder if we target Jeannot or Trenin out of Nashville if they are truly selling everybody.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Chychrun...who knows.

I think it'll be something like Blueger, Heinen, a 2nd rounder out, and a 4th liner with size, and a backup coming back.

Team eeks into the playoffs. Loses in the 1st round. Yinzers go nuts as if this isn't all extremely predictable with this roster and this coach. FSG probably axes Hextall & Burke this summer. New FO takes over, and after conferring with the omnipotent Mike Sullivan, Zucker and Dumo are brought back. Team flirts with moving on from Jarry, and no obvious upgrade is available, so they re-sign the oft-injured, streaky goalie instead of taking the risk of ending up with a Grubauer situation for several years. Rinse, repeat next season. :laugh:

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I’ll keep beating this dead pointless horse I have been since 2017, but I really wish this franchise had the balls to trade LeTang in ‘17…

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
It's always goaltending though? How will we sell our narrative of this team being good if they got goaltending?

Sure. Fire both of them. Who cares?
That's not what I'm advocating for, just saying. I would ride out this year, see if you can get anything for tired garbage like Carter. Let Zucker and Domu's contracts run out in the offseason. Fire Sully then assuming we don't make a deep run. Use that sweet, sweet cap space to do some retooling for the next three years. Add a good prospect or two to go with Pickering by keeping the 1st and 2nd picks.

It's not sexy or fun. It's boring and patient which is why people hate it but overreaction from our GM is kind of why we're in the spot we're in. I don't think more overreaction is the recipe.

If we get into the playoffs who knows what happens. How many times have we been the better team and been knocked out in the first round? It can happen.

Reactions: Night Shift

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I typed in a 4 letter word that Brits and Aussies like to use and that's just what HFBoards blocks it to be :laugh:

C-h-a-p

“I thought for the majority of the game tonight our team was terrific,” coach Mike Sullivan said.

This is why we suck.

He was riding the toilet trying to **** out a thesis that wasn't offensive to the guys. This is probably what half his nights are. "What am I gonna say tonight, what am I gonna say tonight"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad