Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Two hallmarks of a Sullivan coached team this year:
1-Allow a goal right after scoring one.
2-Allow a goal late in a period.

DeSmith sucks, Dumoulin sucks, our bottom six sucks. Whatever. Coaching continues to be a massive issue when the above keeps happening. Whether it be systems-related or which players he tosses out in those situations, it's on Sullivan.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I did search, that's why I mentioned you said you were a "decent fan" of Johnson but were spot on about him being bought out after 3 years when it was announced he was signed for 5 years. You did support bringing in JJ to some level.

The season some of the players are having? Everyone outside of Crosby and Malkin is at a varying level between mediocre and dogshit. The players performing like ass is the primary reason why this team isn't a serious playoff threat this year.

That’s why I said some.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Two hallmarks of a Sullivan coached team this year:
1-Allow a goal right after scoring one.
2-Allow a goal late in a period.

DeSmith sucks, Dumoulin sucks, our bottom six sucks. Whatever. Coaching continues to be a massive issue when the above keeps happening. Whether it be systems-related or which players he tosses out in those situations, it's on Sullivan.

It extends beyond this year.

Outrageous lies lol

I just can't...

Pull the posts.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People can fairly shit talk Hextall for the roster decisions he made and Sullivan for the coaching decisions he has made (especially with Sullivan), but I think people are acting crazy if they think the players don't hold a ton of responsibility for the downright mediocrity this team is showing this year. Even someone like Malkin, who most would agree has had a much stronger year this year, is producing basically identically to where he was at last year (42 points in 41 games and -10 last year, 54 point in 54 games and -7 this year). Zucker has had a really nice bounceback year and Guentzel, Crosby, Rakell and Malkin are producing at pretty similar rates to what they produced last year. Beyond that? It's a bunch of shit.

I think the Penguins have a pretty good top-6, I wouldn't call it any more than that but it's pretty good. But everything else just flat out isn't working this year. Letang and Petry have been awful, which is pretty much sinking the entire defense. The best players in the bottom-6 have been replacement level. Jarry can't stay healthy. Rust's production has fallen to the worst levels since 2018-2019. There's just so much bad stuff going on that I don't think there's any sort of fix Hextall could possibly make here.

That's why I roll my eyes when people blame the roster flaws on Hextall alone. The roster Hextall has built this year should be at least comparable to what the Penguins were last year. Instead, it's just not performing. It's not just his additions that haven't been performing, it's both long-term players here and additions he has made that are causing the issues with this team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
People can fairly shit talk Hextall for the roster decisions he made and Sullivan for the coaching decisions he has made (especially with Sullivan), but I think people are acting crazy if they think the players don't hold a ton of responsibility for the downright mediocrity this team is showing this year. Even someone like Malkin, who most would agree has had a much stronger year this year, is producing basically identically to where he was at last year (42 points in 41 games and -10 last year, 54 point in 54 games and -7 this year). Zucker has had a really nice bounceback year and Guentzel, Crosby, Rakell and Malkin are producing at pretty similar rates to what they produced last year. Beyond that? It's a bunch of shit.

I think the Penguins have a pretty good top-6, I wouldn't call it any more than that but it's pretty good. But everything else just flat out isn't working this year. Letang and Petry have been awful, which is pretty much sinking the entire defense. The best players in the bottom-6 have been replacement level. Jarry can't stay healthy. Rust's production has fallen to the worst levels since 2018-2019. There's just so much bad stuff going on that I don't think there's any sort of fix Hextall could possibly make here.

That's why I roll my eyes when people blame the roster flaws on Hextall alone. The roster Hextall has built this year should be at least comparable to what the Penguins were last year. Instead, it's just not performing. It's not just his additions that haven't been performing, it's both long-term players here and additions he has made that are causing the issues with this team.

Evan Rodrigues out and Rakell in is really the only difference. It is bizarre.

Lol.. I was so close…I nearly had the exact wording lol

Sullivan's post games are almost as predictable as his team blowing a lead and everyone blaming it on goaltending.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Evan Rodrigues out and Rakell in is really the only difference. It is bizarre.

Yeah exactly. It is way more on Sullivan for misusing players and the players not playing to their abilities than the roster Hextall created. Hextall's not at fault for major contributors like Petry, Letang, Rust and Guentzel for not playing up to their capabilities and Jarry being unable to stay healthy.

I think Hextall's biggest failure comes with the bottom-6, which is something he can fix and has so far not done enough with. But the defense and goaltending? He's not responsible for that whatsoever. If Letang and Petry were playing to their capabilities and Jarry was healthy, this team would be in a substantially better spot even with the flaws in the bottom-6.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah exactly. It is way more on Sullivan for misusing players and the players not playing to their abilities than the roster Hextall created. Hextall's not at fault for major contributors like Petry, Letang, Rust and Guentzel for not playing up to their capabilities and Jarry being unable to stay healthy.

Can’t wait to go up 3-0 against Boston or Carolina in the 1st round and lose 4 straight because of “goaltending”.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
To be fair people rag on players more often than they should on these boards.

People whined about Ceci, Archibald, Gudbrandson, Zucker all very recently for no good reason other than they would suck.

Good thing many aren't GMs. Those guys played well above thier pay level but if you go back to their signing threads you would have thunk you killed people's dogs.

Arkadiusz

Feb 22, 2019
Concord, MA
I like to read and don't post much but have to say, most disturbing thing about tonight was being a visiting team in a building where you are absolutley skating circles around the team in second period, up 2 goals and the home crowd is booing their team. This is the dream scenario for any team and the easiest thing to feed off in the world and prime situation to bury the home team and you cannot figure out how to shut them down for 25 minutes. that is a textbook gift from the hockey Gods and if you cannot figure out how to stifle a team in that situation then making the playoffs does not matter...

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
FC0A415A-AD24-4199-9244-740AC013F6A4.jpeg

Reactions: Night Shift

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm just sitting here, 10 infraction points in, buzzed and laughing at this team.

This is the Ragamuffin Gunner season. I think this team, top to bottom, are mentally weak losers. The organization is also arrogant. It's hard to root for them.

(Back into the shell)
I'm just annoyed. Already lost my like button. I will take a 2 month hiatus and be back for the (if we make it) playoffs. Or more like the Pirates 5-11 start.

P sure nobody has a like button right now

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Outrageous lies lol

I just can't...
Gurgle hated that contract and so much so that when losing a bet the worst that could be imagined was to get him a JJ avatar.

I mean, whatever else can be said… :D.

But about that, can’t we just all agree to the obvious, that Casey has had a bad season overall, but that the teams’ problems are a great deal bigger than that? Doesn’t seem controversial…

Reactions: Shady Machine

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Gurgle hated that contract and so much so that when losing a bet the worst that could be imagined was to get him a JJ avatar.

I mean, whatever else can be said… :D.

But about that, can’t we just all agree to the obvious, that Casey has had a bad season overall, but that the teams’ problems are a great deal bigger than that? Doesn’t seem controversial…

I mean, I think Desmith has had what is expected of him at 1.8 mil.

That’s a bottom third contract for a bottom third player at his position.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I like to read and don't post much but have to say, most disturbing thing about tonight was being a visiting team in a building where you are absolutley skating circles around the team in second period, up 2 goals and the home crowd is booing their team. This is the dream scenario for any team and the easiest thing to feed off in the world and prime situation to bury the home team and you cannot figure out how to shut them down for 25 minutes. that is a textbook gift from the hockey Gods and if you cannot figure out how to stifle a team in that situation then making the playoffs does not matter...
We're pretty much dying for more diversity with posters here btw.
It would be nice to hear fresh voices and opinions. We've lost some particularly good users this year and haven't really gotten a fresh crop of regulars to replace them.

When too many people lurk then it just leaves the veteran regulars to go at each other's throats. Exchanges inevitably become emotionally driven and hollow. We mostly know each other's perspectives on a lot of things so everything feels recycled and tired.

I understand that the lurkers prefer staying out of it, but they are contributing to the decline when they choose to do so. Fresher users tend to get more respect, so discussions go in healthier, more logical directions. People are more behaved and open-minded.

Just something to keep in mind for any lurkers reading this, not just you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad