The great socks with sandals debate:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I don't see how you argue Mario and Jagr were better than Crosby and Malkin.

I think that is very easy if by “better” we mean better at hockey relative to peers. Jagr’s Pens prime is dominant in a way neither Sid or Malkin have been, and Lemieux… lets not even go there.

It is entirely different asking which duo had better Pens careers, as suddenly winning and longevity will count for more.
When all is said and done I think there will be little argument that the Sid/Geno era was better. If nothing else because the team was a contender for so much longer.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
A5EYXEH.gif

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I think that is very easy if by “better” we mean better at hockey relative to peers. Jagr’s Pens prime is dominant in a way neither Sid or Malkin have been, and Lemieux… lets not even go there.

It is entirely different asking which duo had better Pens careers, as suddenly winning and longevity will count for more.
When all is said and done I think there will be little argument that the Sid/Geno era was better. If nothing else because the team was a contender for so much longer.

This is the key point IMO. We've had great supporting casts that fit over their careers, and some that didn't fit so much, but through it all these two have been driving success for 16 years now despite everything that's happened. That is unbelievable.

I fell asleep with 10 minutes left but great game. I really like how the lines fit together and ZAR being gone is no great loss at all and makes this team better, no disrespect. He just doesn't add anything substantial and ends up taking a roster spot from someone who can impact the game more. Jarry looks solid, let's hope he can build confidence into the playoffs and keep getting more consistent. He is performing as well as we could have hoped after the debacle of last year.

I really like the decision to put Carter on Malkin's wing. That line has size, speed, creativity, and goal scoring. They are plenty sound defensively as long as Geno continues to mind his zone like he did for the most part tonight. Having Carter and Kapanen puts a lot less pressure on Geno to be the one flying the zone to create offense and I think will allow him to settle nicely into a very responsible defensive mindset in our zone to get the puck out quickly. It also puts less pressure on him to be the scorer and historically that usually ends with everyone on his line getting goals. That line has a lot of potential if Kapanen gets hot.

I haven't been watching as much lately with work and COVID stuff but we look a lot faster than I remember and guys were really supporting well all over the ice for most of the game.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Man, I kinda wish I could like posts again. :laugh:

Carter to wing is probably the smartest move if they're not going to use him as bottom-6 C (and honestly, I don't think they should barring any deadline moves that make it necessary).

Reactions: Shady Machine

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Good game by #71 at even strength. The power play has never been an issue (well offensively). This is how a superstar should look and results of that is a post game null and void of excuses. There was one adventurous shift, I think it was the 2nd of the game where line #2 turned over the puck twice for the Ducks for shot. Jarry made a big save. Other than that they looked fine. There was one point where #71 actually dumped the puck and took a shorter shift! My biggest take away is that Kapanen looks like a valuable player on that line. He had a nice back check and there will be a lot more of that coming.

Let's see 5+ games to see how #71 fits in.

I though Petterson had a big game also. We dominated this game.

Concerned that EROD is slowly degressing into his old self. The last two games have been nothing but fighting the puck and not getting his shots on net.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Man, I kinda wish I could like posts again. :laugh:

Carter to wing is probably the smartest move if they're not going to use him as bottom-6 C (and honestly, I don't think they should barring any deadline moves that make it necessary).

Obviously a bigger sample size would be nice, but Carter as Geno's LW would solve a lot of problems.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Great team effort last night, and my god what else does big Z need to do to earn a roster spot? Zohornas 5v5 pts/60min is DOUBLE Zuckers and highest on the team over the last 2 seasons, plus his frame is built for playoff hockey. Give him the minutes and see this team become contenders.

I am growing more concerned by the game about Marino's play. He's our 6th D-man by contribution, but is over valued by Sully. There is zero reason Petts should ever have the lowest TOI of our D men.

Jarry is so good right now. So good. CDS in net is a swing of about 2 goals against and that has PIT living in a card castle.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Kapanen set up Malkin's second goal with a solid diagonal pass to the point under pressure. He had a breakaway tonight, which hasn't happened in a while...which also tended to happen a lot on Malkin's line last year.
The previous 2 games he's had a lovely primary assist to Erod and a deft deflection goal.

This is absolutely not the time I would demote or scratch Kap, even when Rust gets back. His confidence and influence on the game is rising. He very clearly enjoys playing with Malkin.

And I am 100% against Zucker stepping foot on that line again when healthy. Nothing personal against him, but we have like 4 better options. Look at the impact Carter had tonight. Zucker had precious few great games like this with that trio. Enough is enough.

I was probably at the forefront of his supporters when he got here but I don't see him as top 6 worthy on this team. His price tag shouldn't dictate his spot in the lineup. He's been outplayed and it's a deep forward group.

My issue is less for/against Kap than it is having a quicker and defensively responsible player as that 3rd wheel if Geno and Carter are a thing. Both of them are kind of meandering players. Look at the Ducks' lone goal last night. Both Carter and Geno responsible for picking up the trailer and that part of the ice

If I had my way (but in no universe would it happen)

Jake-Sid-Kap
Erod-Geno-Rust
McGinn-Blu-Zucker
Heinen-Carter-Zar

I'd give Carter PK1 duties and PP2 duties

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Great team effort last night, and my god what else does big Z need to do to earn a roster spot? Zohornas 5v5 pts/60min is DOUBLE Zuckers and highest on the team over the last 2 seasons, plus his frame is built for playoff hockey. Give him the minutes and see this team become contenders.

I am growing more concerned by the game about Marino's play. He's our 6th D-man by contribution, but is over valued by Sully. There is zero reason Petts should ever have the lowest TOI of our D men.

Jarry is so good right now. So good. CDS in net is a swing of about 2 goals against and that has PIT living in a card castle.

Zohorna-Blue-McGinn

My wish for the 4th line in the playoffs. ZAR turfs any offense. Z is faster, bigger, has more offensive flair, better shot, great board play...anyone watching his shifts should easily see he deserves a shot to prove it.

Jarry is at the forefront for the Vezina. Talk about mental toughness to Bill Buckner last playoffs and come in and play lights out this year so far. Used to goalies that would've come in and wilted immediately...

Reactions: RayPayys and Andy99

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I’d give Erod his own line. I don’t like him with Sid at all. Way too deferential.

Zucker-Erod-Heinen
McGinn-Blueger-ZAR

would be my bottom 6. Arrange the top 6 however you’d like at this moment.

ERod definitely has a swagger as a center...

GCR
Zuck-G-Carter
Heinen-ERod-Kap
Zohorna-Blue-McGinn

Really the wings can be interchangeable when needing a spark but I see the benefit of Carter and Geno together for the size and faceoff ability.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I can't say enough about Jarry. Really strong. The playoffs are what matters, but this is the best response he could've had after last year and some of the shootout struggles this year.

Reactions: Beau Knows

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Obviously a bigger sample size would be nice, but Carter as Geno's LW would solve a lot of problems.

Agreed. I'd also hope it'd lead to moving Zucker because he's just not been a good fit there, and he's not really needed on the 3rd. Or, conversely, move ZAR and demote Zuck, but I don't think that's going to happen just because of the cap hit.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I can't say enough about Jarry. Really strong. The playoffs are what matters, but this is the best response he could've had after last year and some of the shootout struggles this year.

Yeah, obviously the regular season is really the secondary concern, but you really couldn't realistically ask for a better bounce back season for a goalie than this one.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
On the basis of pure talent, I still maintain Geno's the best of his generation, just that Sid's more hardworking and Ovechkin is more physically gifted. :dunno:

Tavares can go to Giordanno's and eat shit. :laugh:

I would sit here and say i'd be shocked if anyone does not have it, but lol mainboards.
1) Sid
2) Ovy
3) G.

Sid is in my top 5 GOAT. Ovy/G are in my top 15. These guys aren't just generational talents, they are all-time talents and we truly were blessed. Seeing Sid box jump a Geno shot that could have taken his ankle out was awesome. And we are the Pittsburgh f***ing Penguins. That easily could have taken Sid's foot off and the puck/foot would have ended in the 5th row w/ our injury luck. And then Sid's foot would have got Covid from a fan and couldn't be re-attached.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
ERod definitely has a swagger as a center...

GCR
Zuck-G-Carter
Heinen-ERod-Kap
Zohorna-Blue-McGinn

Really the wings can be interchangeable when needing a spark but I see the benefit of Carter and Geno together for the size and faceoff ability.

People, stop putting Zucker with Geno…doesnt work as we’ve seen repeatedly…Zucker-ERod-Kap was an excellent line when they played together…move Heinen up

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
On the basis of pure talent, I still maintain Geno's the best of his generation, just that Sid's more hardworking and Ovechkin is more physically gifted. :dunno:

Toews can go to Giordanno's and eat shit. :laugh:

If you've watched all 3 extensively and understand hockey. Yes, there's zero doubt. Malkin just only unlocked unreal mode in spurts unfortunately.

But ya he's the only one that had every 'gift' going for him when it clicked Size, Speed, Stickhandling, Shot, Intimidation

Have to add my favorite clip...take me back

Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
People, stop putting Zucker with Geno…doesnt work as we’ve seen repeatedly…Zucker-ERod-Kap was an excellent line when they played together…move Heinen up

Meh yea I was being kinda lazy on the wings but Said they're interchangeable. The important part is that Center lineup...and ZAR removed (for my preference, not Sullys)

Reactions: Andy99

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

Toews can go to Giordanno's and eat shit. :laugh:

Toews never belonged in the conversation with Evgeni Malkin, and that isn't hindsight sour grapes from this year's revelation of his leadership inadequacies. They aren't on the same level and never have been, despite all the "Canadian intangibles" BS from north of the border for the last decade. When people look back on Toews, they're going to think of a sleazy organization and a sexual assault coverup. When they think of Geno it's going to be about his three (or more) Cup legacy with Crosby and Letang, and staying on the same team his entire NHL career. You would hope at some point the NHL would rescind that ridiculous top 100 list, but they won't.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia