New Head Coach search

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
The people who are anti Brind'Amour are nuts. Yes, they're down 0-3. But, they also have gone to OT twice and they controlling stretches of play. The Rangers have the better players. The only reason it's close is Rod (and the Canes' commitment to executing his system).
Not nuts. Other than making a goalie change, the Canes are doing the exact same thing in the Ozone. It’s like watching a video replay, get behind the net and pass it out to the slot where the Rangers intercept and clear. Lavioltte must be laughing in the locker room between periods. It’s incredibly stubborn IMO. Ruff made better adjustments in our playoff round against the Rangers.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Not nuts. Other than making a goalie change, the Canes are doing the exact same thing in the Ozone. It’s like watching a video replay, get behind the net and pass it out to the slot where the Rangers intercept and clear. Lavioltte must be laughing in the locker room between periods. It’s incredibly stubborn IMO. Ruff made better adjustments in our playoff round against the Rangers.

I mean, they’ve lost the last two games in OT, and put up 57 and 47 shots the past two games. The PP is clearly an issue. They’re not getting handily outplayed by any stretch of the imagination. Shesterkin is playing out of his mind.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The thing about Rod going to be with Francis in SEA is that it's another squeezing blood from a stone situation. They have some talent but at best, it will take a few years before they're on par with CAR.

He's never had players like the Hughes brothers. Even without them, we're arguably still on par with CAR talent-wise, maturity aside. You give him Markstrom, who may be the best goalie he's ever had, and this is possibly the best shot he's ever had at a cup.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Good defensive structure without sacrificing offense and making counter-adjustments to win in different ways are two things the Devils desperately need from a coach. The former seems to be a big strength of Keefe's, but the latter seems to be a big weakness.

None of these coaches are gonna check all the boxes. Fitz has his work cut out for him.

I do think this team is skilled enough to figure out some stuff on the fly if they get a good system in place to begin with. Having to do that + trying to figure out what the hell they want to do with their own system had to be exhausting for them (Ruff system sucked + couldn't adjust for shit)

I'm not a big fan of Berube. That screams the coach version of "we need to get bigger". This team needs much more than just a hard-ass.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
I mean, they’ve lost the last two games in OT, and put up 57 and 47 shots the past two games. The PP is clearly an issue. They’re not getting handily outplayed by any stretch of the imagination. Shesterkin is playing out of his mind.
Ultimately they are on the verge of getting swept. As far as the shot totals - Laviolette is “rope-a-doping” them to death.

Reactions: My3Sons

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I do think this team is skilled enough to figure out some stuff on the fly if they get a good system in place to begin with. Having to do that + trying to figure out what the hell they want to do with their own system had to be exhausting for them (Ruff system sucked + couldn't adjust for shit)

I'm not a big fan of Berube. That screams the coach version of "we need to get bigger". This team needs much more than just a hard-ass.
I think the Devils just need strong structure .. thinking more in the way of some really sound systems. I do think there needs to be accountability when there are stupid turnovers and whatnot, but I think a strong system eases those issues a lot. I think there was too much freelancing this year and not enough smart play. I guess I'd say .. give me the guy with the best system over the disciplinarian.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Whoever gets the job I hope that Fitz doesnt make any quick decisions. We can wait out couple weeks to see if more heads will fall. Dont go hiring "Woodcroft" now if in a couple weeks you might have a chance to atleast interview Sullivan or RBA.

Reactions: My3Sons

Camille the Eel

The Rangers are just playing just well enough to win. They’ve got an extra gear anytime they need to use it. Carolina is frantically trying to get ahead and the Rags look like they are shrugging them off. Carolina kills themselves to get a one goal lead, can’t extend, can’t extend, the Rangers take a breath and pull ahead. Carolina desperately ties it with the goalie pulled. The Rags take a breath and win it one minute into OT without breaking a sweat. That was last night. I don’t know how competitive you can call them when they are getting swept.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
The Rangers are just playing just well enough to win. They’ve got an extra gear anytime they need to use it. Carolina is frantically trying to get ahead and the Rags look like they are shrugging them off. Carolina kills themselves to get a one goal lead, can’t extend, can’t extend, the Rangers take a breath and pull ahead. Carolina desperately ties it with the goalie pulled. The Rags take a breath and win it one minute into OT without breaking a sweat. That was last night. I don’t know how competitive you can call them when they are getting swept.

Sure, but the Rags also haven't lost a single game yet this playoffs. I don’t think it’s “Rod is actually not that good of a coach,” when it’s more that the “Rags are playing perfect hockey right now.”

Carolina’s PP has been abysmal, but it would be a stretch to blame Rod for that.

My choices in light of Lebrun’s tweet.
Woodcraft/Keefe
Berube
McClellan

Reactions: My3Sons and HBK27

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Very happy with this here

1715363603961.png

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Keefe signed an extension before the season. He is still under contract to TML
Yeah it’s about 99% that teams will give permission once a coach is sacked because there’s no reason to keep him on salary as a glorified consultant, the only 1% it doesn’t happen might be a Sullivan-Devils type situation where he’s on the last year and they’d rather keep him away from us out of spite/concern

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
What are his other warts

He'll make adjustments to counter how the opposition plays but he wont make adjustments to fit in specific players, regardless of talent. Leads to 'favoritism' for lesser players that play the system correctly over more talented guys that don't fit as well.

Its for every level of players. Last year he even took Erik Karlsson and tried to turn him into a systems guy. Failed miserably.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad