Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Devils | loss | Special teams? I think you mean pathetic teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
What's really cool about how the past few weeks have played out; instead of being 1st in the Metro like they should be, the Pens will be out of a PO spot by the time they lose to the Bs on Monday.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
They can lose the next one in regulation and still be on pace for 98 points. No team has ever missed with 97+ in this format.
That's where you gotta draw the line though. They've nearly destroyed the buffer they created with that hot run.

Reactions: Pens x

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't know how anybody's attached to any player outside of the Sid/Geno/Letang trio. Even those guys, I think it's a little f***ing weird the sorta sentimental attachment people get, but at least I can understand it after nearly 20 years of watching 'em. Jake? Rust? Who gives a f*** about either of those players? :laugh:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't know how anybody's attached to any player outside of the Sid/Geno/Letang trio. Even those guys, I think it's a little f***ing weird the sorta sentimental attachment people get, but at least I can understand it after nearly 20 years of watching 'em. Jake? Rust? Who gives a f*** about either of those players? :laugh:
Bear in mind many posters came to HF when we had 87/71 as prospects. HF had a good rating system IMO. Upside and likelihood. Crosby was a 10C and Malkin a 9B? Every part of a fan base has its own narratives and sacred cows. This is the "there's still a lot in there but the coach is destroying it" lunch table at the school cafeteria

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Bear in mind many posters came to HF when we had 87/71 as prospects. HF had a good rating system IMO. Upside and likelihood. Crosby was a 10C and Malkin a 9B? Every part of a fan base has its own narratives and sacred cows. This is the "there's still a lot in there but the coach is destroying it" lunch table at the school cafeteria
I think that's definitely a factor, for sure. People just not being able to accept or realize the era's ending, as it always would, and it ain't gonna be pretty for the last several years. /shrug

I couldn't give a shit about wins and losses anymore tbh. Losing in the 1st round for the fifth time in a row is no different than missing entirely. You got no shot at the Cup either way. I just want the games to be entertaining to watch, and the vast majority of nights, they sure as shit aren't that. :laugh: But that's the way it goes as an era winds down, and with the way NHL coaching fetishizes playing games to a draw and all that.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I’m still pissed we took Darrin Shannon in 1988.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I didn't see the second and third as I had something to do.

I see we completed bungled the powerplay.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Well that's just astronomically stupid.

The coach can't go out and make the plays. The players need to actually do what they're paid to do. Going 0-9 on the powerplay in a game is flat out unacceptable, there is no handwaving away that performance by the players.
why would a player change their game if there’s never any consequence for it? out of the goodness of their heart? these guys have egos, even acknowledging they’re playing bad is hard. there needs to be something, anything outside of themselves to keep them in check. that’s the coach

And the special teams were working for the previous month. Either Letang is really god damn important to that powerplay or the powerplay players just laid an egg today.
we all know the powerplay was good because letang was out, come on

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Anyone that shows any sort of “truculence” for a lack of a better term and a Burke nod, he almost punishes because he doesn’t think that’s how you can win games in his idea of “play the right way” because he’s shown how he’s used those types and how he dislikes them.

It’s weird. I said it above as well, this team is not hard to play and playing players that make it hard to play against is not something this coach likes. I’m shocked Archibald wasn’t scratched after the first month. But then again, he’s a veteran and he loves his vets.

This team has had multiple injuries and that means opportunity for youth. Instead of trying them in meaningful ways, Sullivan has almost begrudgingly used them on 3rd and 4th line usage exclusively. As a GM how do you fix that knowing your coach wants certain types and has the ear of the owners and the owners also wanting the core to get their contracts and stay.

I think the person done the dirtiest by the old owners and new ones is Hextall. Not quite sure why there’s so much hate for him by you and PensX
See current state of Philly
See contract to Carter... so disgustingly bad.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i’m absolutely baffled by the rewriting history of the powerplay. we were all scared of what the petry injury - because it was petry who was on the pp when it was clicking, not letang - would mean. it took 3 games of letang taking his place for it to go to shit again. i simply cannot read posts that claim that letang was a part of the pp at its peak this month

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I’m going to be real with you.

I love Jake. But if San Jose said we want Jake if you want Timo, I’d do that deal in a heart beat.

If San Jose did Meier + Barbanov for Guentzel + Heinen I walk away with that happy af.
This is another reason I hate Hextall. What has he done to change the team and where it is trending??? Rakell is a nice player, but it's not enough. There should have been a major shakeup with our forwards if you wanted to keep the big 3 together. Instead, the roster is locked in nearly as it ended last season.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I gotta say it feels liberating to have missed most of this game because I feel no urge to post pages and pages of arguments about things.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Fordy

May 28, 2008
it’s so crazy to me to be a fan of this team in particular and just write off the importance of coaching when the majority of our cup wins came after disastrous seasons were turned around by a coaching change. holy hell

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I gotta say it feels liberating to have missed most of this game because I feel no urge to post pages and pages of arguments about things.
You're exactly right..... there really isn't much to discuss with this current team. Everything is locked in place, from the GM, Coaching to the players.

I've been arguing with DK all year about this team fading and missing the playoffs. I haven't backed off of that stance, even in the midst of their recent hot streak.

it’s so crazy to me to be a fan of this team in particular and just write off the importance of coaching when the majority of our cup wins came after disastrous seasons were turned around by a coaching change. holy hell
insert geno bingo gif

Reactions: Pancakes

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Shit team. Can't keep a lead, PP sucks, no discipline. Did I already say "shit team?" Sad thing it's all downhill from here.
So disorganized.
Fresh coaching staff with a fresh approach. Could do no worse. But may ignite something.
I could coach this line up to its current record.
Sullivan is adding nothing , but he is contributing a lot to the disarray.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think that's definitely a factor, for sure. People just not being able to accept or realize the era's ending, as it always would, and it ain't gonna be pretty for the last several years. /shrug

I couldn't give a shit about wins and losses anymore tbh. Losing in the 1st round for the fifth time in a row is no different than missing entirely. You got no shot at the Cup either way. I just want the games to be entertaining to watch, and the vast majority of nights, they sure as shit aren't that. :laugh: But that's the way it goes as an era winds down, and with the way NHL coaching fetishizes playing games to a draw and all that.

Who isn’t accepting this?

You and Doc have been trying to say this team is so far away from contention even though we put up good fights against the teams that made it to the ECF the two previous seasons.

All the team needs is a break in the playoffs and a refreshing voice and they could easily make a run.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
That's a big part of why I'm ready for the rebuild too. :laugh: I can't wait until nobody gives a f*** about some random schlub or prospect's xGF% at ES or what some dude's P/60 pace is or whatever.

It'll be fun to not have any expectations and just watch dummies plod around while the team collects top picks that they hopefully hit on a couple of.

Reactions: Pancakes

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Who isn’t accepting this?

You and Doc have been trying to say this team is so far away from contention even though we put up good fights against the teams that made it to the ECF the two previous seasons.

All the team needs is a break in the playoffs and a refreshing voice and they could easily make a run.
Sullivan was a part of this team putting up a good fight. But I know, he's evil.

I mean fire him and see what happens. We won't but should. But also I'm not gonna write this season off because they didn't fire him either.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sullivan was a part of this team putting up a good fight. But I know, he's evil.

I mean fire him and see what happens. We won't but should. But also I'm not gonna write this season off because they didn't fire him either.

He is also the coach that took no risks and got scared of Malkin playing on L1 and put Carter up there when the Rangers turned the series in G5.

Surprised puustinen hasn't been called up

To sit on the bench for Heinen?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
He is also the coach that took no risks and got scared of Malkin playing on L1 and put Carter up there when the Rangers turned the series in G5.

To sit on the bench for Heinen?
One bad mistake. But Carter and Guentzel-Rust also failed. Players play.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
This coach, like the last one who had a long tenure here, made the mistake of falling in love with certain players. He refuses to see past his own biases to the point that it hurts the team.

When Bryan Rust plays poorly, he gets a promotion. Eerily similar to how Bylsma treated Craig Adams. Granted, Bryan Rust is a much better player than Craig ever was, but the point remains the same. The problem with that is the other players on the bench and in the organization.

It really messes with team morale and can even affect organizational depth. You’re not going to get much free agent or college player interest when everyone in pro hockey knows that the coach in Pittsburgh plays favorites to such an extreme degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00