Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Devils | loss | Special teams? I think you mean pathetic teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It's pretty damning that among the teams vying for a playoff spot in the Metro, we've given up the most goals against. The friggin' Capitals and their paper thin defense have given up less goals than us, in 2 extra games.

It's almost like it's a systems thing. :sarcasm:
We are lucky we have that genius Reirdan, imagine how bad it would be if he wasn’t here

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm only on page two of this thread and I won't be reading much more of it. Haven't seen much mention of Ty Smith. But my friend said he did pretty well.

Is this true?

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Well... you guys were right. Who'd I say win to and he said no way, loss. Pixies I think.
Rust pulling hard off his post on the first goal leaving his side wide open to walk it in on a platter.
Third goal Geno playing 'i can't skate that fast if I tried' on the PP getting back to defend from the point.... that is on the coach though. You know he's slow. You know shorty attempts break the other way virtually every power play.

Would get swept in the post season by the devils squad.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm only on page two of this thread and I won't be reading much more of it. Haven't seen much mention of Ty Smith. But my friend said he did pretty well.

Is this true?
I thought the same exact thing. I'm not in the mood for hostilities first thing in the morning. Not today at least :wg:

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh

Is this true?

I'm sure it was hardly Sully's intention that Smith get the most ice time of any Pittsburgh defenseman, but then who expected that we'd get 18 minutes of power play time? I'm also sure that Sully has applied the following logic:

1. We had 9 power play chances and scored 0 goals,
2. Smith was the PPQB,
3. Therefore Smith obviously cost us this game.

In reality Smith was decent but not great overall, especially for a guy in his first NHL game in a long time and who had to play with a really tight choke-collar on (young players get NO leash around here, and they know it) and Smith looked a little tentative at times but that's to be expected. He's still way better than Chad Ruhwedel.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Is this true?
He was fine. I didn't really notice any "PPQB wizzardry" from him though. He wasn't bad or anything, but I didn't see anything that suggested we found our PPQB of the future.

Granted, the entire PP unit was ass (as per usual) and it was his first game. It's just that he didn't run the PP any differently than if you'd put POJ or Pettersson in that spot.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He was fine. I didn't really notice any "PPQB wizzardry" from him though. He wasn't bad or anything, but I didn't see anything that suggested we found our PPQB of the future.

Granted, the entire PP unit was ass (as per usual) and it was his first game. It's just that he didn't run the PP any differently than if you'd put POJ or Pettersson in that spot.

I think it is insanely stupid we took a player who we essentially said wasn’t good enough to be in the NHL this year and then forced him to play the top Powerplay with like once practice with the guys who were out there.

Sure, you can say that “he excels there so he should be able to figure it out” but it just seems like another questionable coaching decision.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think it is insanely stupid we took a player who we essentially said wasn’t good enough to be in the NHL this year and then forced him to play the top Powerplay with like once practice with the guys who were out there.

Sure, you can say that “he excels there so he should be able to figure it out” but it just seems like another questionable coaching decision.
I did not have a problem with that, POJ is still work in progress on PP, no other dman should even sniff the PP certaunly not Petts who has been our second unit PP and he sucks at it

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I didn't mind it. I wanted to see what we have in Smith and giving him reps on the PP right away did that.

The issue is how the PP was set up, he was too much the focus of it. He should have been a secondary option with Sid/Geno being the main catalysts. But for whatever reason, our coaching staff likes moving the puck around the umbrella for half a minute then getting the point man (in this case Smith) to take a weak shot toward the net hoping for a deflection.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
They lost this game because the big guns didn't show up, plain and simple. That sums up this entire game. Crosby, Guentzel, Malkin, Rust and Rakell were all awful.

I thought Smith looked pretty good, the only way I'd criticize him is that he seems a bit too trigger happy to shoot the puck when there isn't a good shot opportunity. A 50 foot wrist shot into the goalie isn't going to be doing much good overall. But overall, I was happy with what I saw.

Penguins meet a good opponent.
Crosby, Malkin and (Letang) are invisible.
Pens lose.
Wash, rinse, repeat.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
If we get a top ten first round pick in this draft it could do a lot. If it's top five we probably extend our window a few extra years.

In order to do that, they shouldn't have extended Malkin, Letang, Rust and Rakell.

Now we are stuck in suck land for 3-6 more years at least.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I wouldn't jump to conclusions about Smith yet, A new coach in place and we should see improvement from him and everyone else on this team.

Time for a new voice.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Agreed, but ownership would have to eat the new Sullivan contract. Are they willing to do that?

I don't expect Sullivan out anytime soon but I mean when we do make the change I sort of expect the new coach to maximize everyone's strength (hopefully). POJ and Smith should still be here by then and still young enough.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think Sulli is at a point where he knows what he's doing. He knows he can't be canned without free money. He knows it's -his team- and runs it -his way-
I mean... it's basically like making Caligula emperor at this point. Too much power and control turn some/most/all people into sometimes unlikeable, unbearable arrogant creations....

Just a wild sunday morning guess.
Just because you're a coach doesn't mean you have to be an arrogant snarky bastard. I get that with Sullied.

Pem

Jan 1, 2020
I think the situation we have comes down to two things age and contentment. The premiere members of the team have been playing a long time. With age comes fa

Pem

Jan 1, 2020
I think the situation we have comes down to two things age and contentment. The premiere members of the team have been playing a long time. With age comes fatigue and injuries. The other problem is contentment. Many members have won the Stanley cup. Neither the age or contentment can be changed. They fade at the end of games. They get leads and give them up. Play Two days back to back is a big issue. They have a care less attitude. If they get dumped in the playoffs, they say oh well we have already won two or three cups.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sully will be here and what I like to see is Hextall have the balls to make moves that helps the roster, not more of Sullivans system BS. Dump Dumo, get a physical LD. Move kap for that and then Get 4th line RW who can bring needed size and grit. Archibald just can't hold up. Carter to RW once Kap is gone Hextall made two mistakes, one you can fix to a degree, Carter you are stuck with as per over 35 contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille