Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Devils | loss | Special teams? I think you mean pathetic teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Colossal xenophobe is holding back this team because he won't give Rakell an extra 30 seconds of PP time a night. Oh, the humanity. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
One bad mistake. But Carter and Guentzel-Rust also failed. Players play.

I’m unsure what this even means.

Sullivan’s message in tight games is obviously hold on. This team isn’t built to “hold on”.

It’s honestly insane that Penguins fans can not realize that having a new coach can result in great results given we’ve won 4 of our 5 cups doing that.

Colossal xenophobe is holding back this team because he won't give Rakell an extra 30 seconds of PP time a night. Oh, the humanity. :laugh:

Kapanen and Rakell as per usual were the only forwards dunked.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I’m unsure what this even means.

Sullivan’s message in tight games is obviously hold on. This team isn’t built to “hold on”.

It’s honestly insane that Penguins fans can not realize that having a new coach can result in great results given we’ve won 4 of our 5 cups doing
I'm not gonna let you retcon that the era ended because they didn't fire Sullivan. If I stay on this board, I'm going to have to deal with this for a half decade. Would I personally fire Sullivan? Yes. I would have after 2019 when you were as roostersure as ever that we should hold onto him. But I don't think fire Sully = ECF or further. There isn't enough talent on this roster.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Up 1-0. Devils tie 1-1. Penguins pull ahead 2-1. Devils tie 2-2. Devils score a back-breaker SHG and add a meaningless ENG.

Ah well, sometimes mediocre teams lose. This team's f***in' mediocre. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm not gonna let you retcon that the era ended because they didn't fire Sullivan. If I stay on this board, I'm going to have to deal with this for a half decade. Would I personally fire Sullivan? Yes. I would have after 2019 when you were as roostersure as ever that we should hold onto him. But I don't think fire Sully = ECF or further. There isn't enough talent on this roster.

Washington is ahead of us. Do they have more talent?

I’ve never said the era ended because of Sullivan. But he’s a clear issue right now.

Reactions: canadianguy77

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Smith looked slow to me, especially with his crossovers. Meanwhile POJ looks like he skates at twice the speed

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Smith looked slow to me, especially with his crossovers. Meanwhile POJ looks like he skates at twice the speed

POJ is a revelation in terms of what our staff is potentially holding back if you give players steady minutes and usage.

Not in points/game. And about the same level.

Does Carolina have more talent?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Washington is ahead of us.
1672465329305.png

No they're not. The Caps just played more is all.
.611 is still a good position. (100 point pace).

7 of 13 games in January against non-playoff teams. Only one B2B.
I think they'll turn it around soon, starting with the Arizona game at the latest.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I gotta say it feels liberating to have missed most of this game because I feel no urge to post pages and pages of arguments about things.
@BHD @Zirakzigil mates, what’s the eta on the Hate button?

View attachment 628418

No they're not. They just played more is all.

I think they'll turn it around, starting with the Arizona game at the latest.

Yo hot shot, by points yes they are.

Mate you are literally the weirdest with your stat love. It’s nice you love it but the lack of context to replies with them is a learning moment.

I literally sat and watched the Penguins lose to the f***ing Canucks. You think the non playoff teams is a possible gimme but I mean, is it really though?

They could realistically drop the next two vs Boston and VGK, then beat the Coyotes and lose again to the Canucks.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
@BHD @Zirakzigil mates, what’s the eta on the Hate button?

Yo hot shot, by points yes they are.

Mate you are literally the weirdest with your stat love. It’s nice you love it but the lack of context to replies with them is a learning moment.
Not my fault you're terrified of basic arithmetic, mate.

Kudos to the Caps for having played 2 more games I guess. When's the party?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
i’m absolutely baffled by the rewriting history of the powerplay. we were all scared of what the petry injury - because it was petry who was on the pp when it was clicking, not letang - would mean. it took 3 games of letang taking his place for it to go to shit again. i simply cannot read posts that claim that letang was a part of the pp at its peak this month
I didn't know Bob Errey posted on here.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Really? How did Hextall's offseason promote youth? If he had let Carter, Rust and Heinen walk and move doumo, you would have had a huge influx of youth.

Of course you would have needed a new coach. Hextall has been a disaster for the franchise. And you won't see the true results of his tenure until he's gone. see flyers

This is another reason I hate Hextall. What has he done to change the team and where it is trending??? Rakell is a nice player, but it's not enough. There should have been a major shakeup with our forwards if you wanted to keep the big 3 together. Instead, the roster is locked in nearly as it ended last season.

What young players are out there to bring in the off-season? The answer is 0 because they are not available. And if they are available, assets have to be given up. Assets we don't have that other teams do or teams that can "1 up" us since our Farm system sucks.

The youth movement started with Owen Pickering. Its at least going to take 2-3 more drafts to catch up to other teams. The fact that Hextall wants to build a team through the draft (sure, it's his responsibility to hit on upcoming picks) but why would you have a problem with this approach if you want a youth movement?

Which is I think is pretty much agreed by everyone that we need to start rebuilding the prospect pool now while the team is semi competitive now.

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
It’s honestly insane that Penguins fans can not realize that having a new coach can result in great results given we’ve won 4 of our 5 cups doing that.
Correlation =/= causation.

The coaching change in 1991-92 wasn't needed. It only happened because Bob Johnson's cancer diagnosis forced him to resign. It also happened in the off-season, not during the season.

Trading Recchi for Tocchet had more to do with the second Cup win.

Firing Therrien for Bylsma surely provided a jolt, but acquiring Chris Kunitz and Bill Guerin had a lot to do with the third Cup.

Similarly, Johnston had to go in 2015 and Sullivan provided a fresh voice. But you cannot discount the impact of acquiring Trevor Daley, Carl Hagelin, and Justin Schultz, as well as promoting Sheary, Rust, Kuhnhackl, etc.

So as much as you trumpet the coaching changes, significant player personnel moves coincided with them.
Kapanen and Rakell as per usual were the only forwards dunked.
Rakell played the third most minutes of any forward, including four minutes more than Rust.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
What young players are out there to bring in the off-season? The answer is 0 because they are not available. And if they are available, assets have to be given up. Assets we don't have that other teams do or teams that can "1 up" us since our Farm system sucks.

The youth movement started with Owen Pickering. Its at least going to take 2-3 more drafts to catch up to other teams. The fact that Hextall wants to build a team through the draft (sure, it's his responsibility to hit on upcoming picks) but why would you have a problem with this approach if you want a youth movement?

Which is I think is pretty much agreed by everyone that we need to start rebuilding the prospect pool now while the team is semi competitive now.

I mean, Hallander / DOC and Smith could all be playing the same NHL minutes as Archibald and Dumo If we wanted to invest in playing players that might save us money and over perform versus steady reliable vets.

Reactions: Night Shift

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I figure Boston is a loss. But you are correct.

My overall point and I think you agree with me is the whole talent shit is nonsense.
Probably, yeah. Boston have won 80% of their games.
The lack of talent is not the problem, agreed. A big part of it is the harsh dip in 5v5 offense compared to when we were topping the league at it.

Many things that go into that. I hate the lack of balance with usage right now. Leaning way too heavily on L1 when they're not clicking. Sid had 25 mins tonight.
The coach is destroying the confidence of several bottom 6'ers as well. They can't really create any positive momentum for themselves this way.
Heinen and Kap are capable of doing more than they are right now.

If we wanna talk about real problems...
Jake's last 5v5 goal was vs Seattle on November 5th. So he's gone 24 games without one. On top of that, he's been one of the worst defensive forwards analytically.
It's not just the scoring. His passing was awful tonight. This is the worst I've seen him play since returning from the f***ed shoulder.
That's pretty bad considering Sid was leading the league in EVP's and Rakell has been one of our most consistent players. It's not like he doesn't have support.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Probably, yeah. Boston have won 80% of their games.
The lack of talent is not the problem, agreed. A big part of it is the harsh dip in 5v5 offense compared to when we were topping the league at it.

Many things that go into that. I hate the lack of balance with usage right now. Leaning way too heavily on L1 when they're not clicking. Sid had 25 mins tonight.
The coach is destroying the confidence of several bottom 6'ers as well. They can't really create any positive momentum for themselves this way.
Heinen and Kap are capable of doing more than they are right now.

If we wanna talk about real problems...
Jake's last 5v5 goal was vs Seattle on November 5th. So he's gone 24 games without one. On top of that, he's been one of the worst defensive forwards analytically.
It's not just the scoring. His passing was awful tonight. This is the worst I've seen him play since returning from the f***ed shoulder.
That's pretty bad considering Sid was leading the league in EVP's and Rakell has been one of our most consistent players. It's not like he doesn't have support.

Yep. All valid. But instead we’ve got the “Penguins have been shitty since 2018 crowd and they will never win again cos they are old” crowd.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I mean, Hallander / DOC and Smith could all be playing the same NHL minutes as Archibald and Dumo If we wanted to invest in playing players that might save us money and over perform versus steady reliable vets.

I agree, but like @Better Call Maul mentioned you can lead the horse to water but can't force it to drink. This is mostly on Sullivan and if he's not going to play DOC or Smith, its senseless to keep them here not playing.

Hextall in the off-season thought he needed depth so retained some guys and brought in another 2 he liked, I have no issue with that.

It just seems weird to be attacking Hextall when this is mostly a coaching issue.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
View attachment 628418

No they're not. The Caps just played more is all.

I think they'll turn it around soon, starting with the Arizona game at the latest.

It's pretty damning that among the teams vying for a playoff spot in the Metro, we've given up the most goals against. The friggin' Capitals and their paper thin defense have given up less goals than us, in 2 extra games.

It's almost like it's a systems thing. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad