Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Devils | loss | Special teams? I think you mean pathetic teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
It's pretty damning that among the teams vying for a playoff spot in the Metro, we've given up the most goals against. The friggin' Capitals and their paper thin defense have given up less goals than us, in 2 extra games.

It's almost like it's a systems thing. :sarcasm:
Well partially system, yeah. Our blue line is only better than theirs on paper going into this year, really. Dumo and Letang have mostly sucked. Rutta is on an extended cold streak now. Petts has slowed down. Ruh has not been reliable this year when in.
We're 16th in the league in GA/G. Caps are 10th. It just so happens that the Metro have many strong defensive teams. 6 of them are in the top half of the league.
That's probably the biggest reason we're struggling against these teams. There's less space out there.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree, but like @Better Call Maul mentioned you can lead the horse to water but can't force it to drink. This is mostly on Sullivan and if he's not going to play DOC or Smith, its senseless to keep them here not playing.

Hextall in the off-season thought he needed depth so retained some guys and brought in another 2 he liked, I have no issue with that.

It just seems weird to be attacking Hextall when this is mostly a coaching issue.
I will always maintain that Archibald was something that was asked for internally and Hextall made it happen for them. He had zero ties to Archibald in LA, Philly etc. the only people that had any ties to Archibald is Sullivan. Even Reirden was gone by then and Vellucci wasn’t there either.

The problem with a lot of people is that the GM has to be on the same page as the coach. He doesn’t coach. He has to get the players he feels works for the coach he has based on his feedback. It’s when a Gm starts making moves without consulting is where you see a disjointed team.

So if Sullivan is unwilling to play ball and utilize youth, Hextall can do only one thing - start trading veterans and make the room. Which again, also goes against the type of person Hextall is. You start doing that and it’s found out, there’s a stigma and he’s more methodical than that. I think right now you’re seeing Hextall watching ice time of certain types Sullivan wanted and seeing an opportunity to move them out as they’re also not performing - namely, Heinen.

To me Heinen dwindling in ice time even from the one bloke that seemed to be on his side is a clear indicator that the staff is sort of done with the project. This is where Hextall needs to do something and where I feel I’d say shit about him if he doesn’t.

I would trade Heinen, call up one of the young players or keep Doc up and make Sullivan use him as the only other option.

Can’t wait for us to shit the bed against Boston outdoors.

But really as long as none of our stars get hurt, who really gives a shit about playing outdoors anymore??

I mean I would hate for injuries.

But I’m also not going to sit here and tell you I don’t have a list of players that I magically wouldn’t be sad to see on LTIR.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, with NYE on a Saturday, might as well go full Guerin.
D87GZeRdk81C_D87GZeRdk81C_VJ7nUkShIIiP_original_1440x950.jpg

"Whatdya mean you're out of gin? What? Even the ones in the plastic sacks? Alright, fine just give me two handles of antifreeze and a Windex spritzer."

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
D87GZeRdk81C_D87GZeRdk81C_VJ7nUkShIIiP_original_1440x950.jpg

"Whatdya mean you're out of gin? What? Even the ones in the plastic sacks? Alright, fine just give me two handles of antifreeze and a Windex spritzer."
1672475948792.png

Listen bud, I'm a little schlitzed up and starting to get that headache that tells my brain it needs more alcohol--stat. Gimme a triple, I don't care if I gotta drink it out of a shoe.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Loved how Smith immediately bought into Sully's system of "never, under any circumstances, shoot the puck"
Sullivan has to be willing to change it up once in awhile depending on who we’re playing. But he wants perfect shots against every team. They preach it to the players.

And the re-directs…I’m so sick of shooting for redirects. He must really believe that shooting for redirects is a better tactic than volume shots and going for rebounds.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
1st line needs to be better period.

They need to get on the scoresheet lately they have not.

Next our PP was atrocious. 9 chances and not a single one goes in?

If this keeps up time to give Crosby some more defensive zone time to get it through the lines head that they have to earn offensive zone time.

Reactions: Night Shift

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I am halfway through period two and this game f***ing sucks.

I'm still waiting for that genius coaching I keep hearing about, incidentally. Maybe it'll be in this powerplay!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Uh-oh, 4 minute minor on Haula. Will this be the time we actually get a real power play? :laugh:

Real genius special teams coaching. I can't wait to extend these f***ers another 5 years too.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
We played a lot better than I expected, to be honest. Then again, I expected a pathetic showing like on Tuesday. But the mental midget mentality means that we have to keep a high level of play for most of the game and we don't have the legs for that. Or we could get lucky but you can't rely on that on a regular basis. When Jarry doesn't stand on his head, we need special teams doing well to beat any decent team and, well, they didn't do well, to put it mildly.
When your PP isn't doing well, maybe try the good old "big guy screening the goalie" thing rather than hope that miraculously an ice cold, pocket sized Guentzel is going to do the job. Or try to utilise Rakell and Malkin's one timers rather than hopeful wristers from the blue line. Simple stuff, tick-tack-toe passing plays don't give you extra goals, after all.
And for the love of god, roll 4 lines. It's not surprising that the team can't play 60 or even 50 minutes of decent hockey when there are so often a few players with 5 or less minutes of 5 on 5 time. Wasn't that much of a factor in this game because of the gazillion penalties but still. At least Carter got moved to the wing. 2 years too late but better late than never.
On the bright side, we probably would have won if the zebras had swallowed the whistles as usual. :)

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
They are in another funk. No point in watching again until they come out of it. Sullivan has no answers. Or rather he has one answer that he'll give no matter the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese