Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Caps: The big dog gets 1000!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
There 100% is a spot for Rust. It's beyond obvious given how L1 and L3 have crystallized. It reminds me of 2016, when you saw HBK come together and it just became so obvious that a returning from injury Geno would slot between Kunitz and Rust.

While I'm not as much of a fan of Rust on Geno's LW as his RW, the fact remains that we've seen Rust-Geno-Kessel play big in big games, including in the playoffs.

And, Geno's game, again save for the hesitancy to shoot, seems to have rounded into form . . . and more importantly, he's healthy, knock on wood.

Honestly, the great unknowns for me are (a) whether Phil will realize preseason is over by the time April rolls around and (b) whether Sully will **** up the obvious because, well, he's Sully.

BUT, IF we get Rust-Geno-Phil, then I'm not worried about how that line meshes into the team. I think the potential is there to complete the picture up front.

On the other hand, I do get wondering what happens when Letang returns. I mean, OBVIOUSLY you're better. And, there's a great trickle down effect for L2, because they'll more regularly have someone who can support the offense from the blueline.

BUT, are you going to get 2016 Letang . . . or 2018 Letang, and how will Letang's return effect, if at all, the team's renewed commitment to collective defensive play?

I'm guessing this is where you're going, yes?

I'll put it this way . . . I see LEGIT potential for something special, because good Rust and good Letang 100% are the pieces that can complete the team. That's more than I can say about how I felt about this team in late March a year ago.

Reducing his role a little with a Letang return could help.

In my rambling way, yes. Basically will it disrupt a very good, for want of a better word, chemistry that the team has going on right now?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Did anyone else notice on Phil's goal how the entire net was open and he barley made it into the net?

It was so close to hitting the post and not going in, hes just having a hard time right now.

I know, right? And that was even the game winning goal he almost didn't score, and on that one touch primary assist between that guys legs for the 3rd goal, he almost didn't get it through either.

We hockey fans in Pittsburgh, it's possible we're a little spoiled.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
In my rambling way, yes. Basically will it disrupt a very good, for want of a better word, chemistry that the team has going on right now?

Well then in my rambling way . . .

1. Rust's return from injury, IF SULLY DOESN'T **** IT UP, has the potential to enhance already evolving chemistry by crystallizing L2 in the way L1 and L3 have crystallized over the last week or so.

2. Letang is the wild card. Do we get good Letang? How rusty will he be? Will the team as a whole remain committed to 5 man defense when he returns?

We're obviously now going anywhere in the playoffs IF L2 doesn't crystallize and with Trotman. So, when I talk about 'impacting chemistry', I'm looking at these two variables and thinking if things work out as they COULD the potential is there for something special.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Well then in my rambling way . . .

1. Rust's return from injury, IF SULLY DOESN'T **** IT UP, has the potential to enhance already evolving chemistry by crystallizing L2 in the way L1 and L3 have crystallized over the last week or so.

2. Letang is the wild card. Do we get good Letang? How rusty will he be? Will the team as a whole remain committed to 5 man defense when he returns?

We're obviously now going anywhere in the playoffs IF L2 doesn't crystallize and with Trotman. So, when I talk about 'impacting chemistry', I'm looking at these two variables and thinking if things work out as they COULD the potential is there for something special.

I agree with the second point here. Well, the first too but especially the second. The overriding story of the 2018 season was "we won the Cup without our #1D. We get him back. We'll be awesome." But there were a lot of issues with that #1D in his return and in the way the team played around him - the 5 man defense you allude to.

Letang was incredible before getting hurt but he's not the easiest piece to re-integrate. I hope he's back before the playoffs at least to see how we can do it.

Reactions: ETA

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I know, right? And that was even the game winning goal he almost didn't score, and on that one touch primary assist between that guys legs for the 3rd goal, he almost didn't get it through either.

Pens fans are definitely spoiled, no doubt about that.

But Phil is really struggling.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
My McCann boner just grows and grows every game. I called him having the potential to have a big breakout - next - year. He now has 6-4-10 points in his last 8 games. Plays fast, defensively aggressive, cranks empty nets like literally no-one in the Crosby era Penguins, and he still has an awesome shot that he hasn't even come close to utilising yet.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

I was just sitting here thinking. “My god, it was a rebound that he was lucky to get his blade on with how quick it came at him and we’re complaining about how he didn’t score...good enough?”

Thanks for this post.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Jake 10th in the league in goals with 35, 3rd in even strength goals. In the same number of games, he's tied with MacKinnon and ahead of guys like Stamkos, Kucherov, Scheifele, Marchand, Gaudreau. Really impressive season. I can't accurately convey how glad I am that JR got him extended.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I just called him The Real Piece...how much more appreciation can you get....start the thread...there’ll be at least fifty people posting on it...

I'm not here for the thread baring attention.

I'm here for the appreciation.

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
This team reminds me of a team we all hate; The Patriots. Played like shit and Brady finds a way. Then you get a guy like Gudbranson who is a stat night mare, and he is good now because he puts the bird that doesn’t fly jersey on and he’s playing above expectations.

“The Florida Boys.” I mean, never heard of McCann man. Now he is top line hitting 5 on 5s, SHG and ENG like on the reg.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Reducing his role a little with a Letang return could help.

And that is what is going to happen - match-up wise also - the more so with PetterGud being effective at shutting things down so far. It'll mean Schultz-Johnson can get a lot of offensive draws and, I assume, will get to support Geno's line a lot with Letang-Dumo consistently getting out there with Sid's line.

Schultz has been great for Geno the last couple of years.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
And that is what is going to happen - match-up wise also - the more so with PetterGud being effective at shutting things down so far. It'll mean Schultz-Johnson can get a lot of offensive draws and, I assume, will get to support Geno's line a lot with Letang-Dumo consistently getting out there with Sid's line.

Schultz has been great for Geno the last couple of years.

Yea that x-Schultz pairing is the one i tinker with if JJ's game goes off the rails.
If theres any place to slot Olli in it's there and no place else.
I like MP-Guds as a shutdown'esque pair right now and putting JJ/Olli-Schultz out with very favorable starts.

Olli going down may be a blessing cuz if he didn't go down Guds is probably either not here or here playing with Olli or JJ. Instead he gets a spin with one of the 3LD(Dumo, MP, Riiko) i believe he'd do ok with.
Now it's looking like it might be a decent shutdown 3rd pair which can potentially let x-Schultz loose.

I still don't insert Olli til, well, till JJ costs you a game.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Congrats to Geno on his 1000 points. It came at just the right time, too. Hopefully him finally reaching the milestone will be the start of one of Geno's God-mode stretches.

That Florida trade is paying huge dividends. What more can you say about McCann? People saw him as the throw-in in the deal, and he's turning into such a key piece.

Great comeback win against a team that was scorching hot, too. Hopefully the real Penguins have finally shown up to play these last dozen games.

Reactions: Peat

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
My McCann ***** just grows and grows every game. I called him having the potential to have a big breakout - next - year. He now has 6-4-10 points in his last 8 games. Plays fast, defensively aggressive, cranks empty nets like literally no-one in the Crosby era Penguins, and he still has an awesome shot that he hasn't even come close to utilising yet.
could be our best trade in a long time

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad