Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Caps: The big dog gets 1000!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Also, having just finished watching the game, I've got to say, does anyone else have a better feeling about this team this year (as opposed to last season), going into the final stretch?

Right now for sure. The simple reason being we gained two guys making legit contributions for Sheahan and a guy who was pretty much a husk of a formerly good player. Also, credit where it's due: Guds and JJ are more or less pulling their weight as it stands regardless of future cap implications. Can't really complain and just gotta keep going. I did not foresee winning both of these past two games especially with one being the second of a back-to-back against a team we seem to have problems with in Boston. My interests now are mainly this second line and will the defense look the same (maybe less potent but more buttoned down) when Letang comes back.

I think we will also need some timely play from the bottom two lines assuming we make the playoffs, and I think it remains to be seen if we'll get that or not. We can only get so much from the PP and Sid's line against post-season teams, but those topics are for another day in the near future.

Reactions: Peat

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
The team looks like its having fun all of a sudden and I think that goes a long way to performance.

Also the Speed and motor that Blueger, McCann are putting into this team cant be understated.

And who would have thought Gooby would be a calming presence that he had been. Crazy. Just hope there is no reverting.

Underrated positive- McCann can score empty net goals from his own blue line.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I found it funny how the ref thought Sid and Ovie were about to scrap and stepped in to break them up, only to realize they were genuinely embracing lol.

A certain Caps blog went on lengths to break that situation down and seems to think Ovechkin went after Crosby to try to send him a message for the playoffs.

Alex Ovechkin claims Sidney Crosby congratulated him during this postgame discussion at center ice

Either way you want to look at that, one things for sure - Sid's a class act.

It was cool to see Ovechkin's 1200th point being congratulated on the jumbotron at PPG Paints Arena during the game. They didn't show that in the broadcast. Very classy by Penguins.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Seriously never been so wrong.

Also, the way he defused the Wilson situation with Pettersson was awesome.

If we lose him instead of JJ, yuck.

This guy needs a raise.

230px-Sergei_Gonchar_2018-03-02_19260.jpg

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
JR's master plan is all coming together at the right time. Why did we ever doubt the PF chang master?

Gudbranson has been stellar, who woulda thunk that? From worst in the NHL bad, to a very solid defensemen for us.
The florida boys are both steals for what we gave up, imo. McCann has some legit skill and I'm at a loss why Florida let him go.
Heck I hated the Sprong for Pettersson trade, mostly because of the optics and I felt we didn't give him a fair shake, but regardless. The play of our young defensemen has been really good and fits a need. Hell even JJ, now that he's on his proper side, has been good.

Really the only things I see right now that I'm concerned about are is when is Kessel gonna get it together, and L2 in general.

Murray was solid again, I know I nit pick on him at times, but really the second goal on him. yes it was bad but I've seen that type of goal go in (um had that kind of goal go in). The puck is knuckling and just went right up and over after it made contact. Really it was more just bad/dumb luck then anything and think he should just get a pass on that one.

This is really starting to feel like 2016 again, everyone stays healthy and Murray keeps this level up we just might have a another parade come june...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It is a 6 game sample size. I'm happy, but let's remember that. He could return to being bad at any moment. Also think he's got like a 105 PDO right now so he's bound to get some worse on ice luck at some point.

But credit to the big lug. He's been a huge shot in the arm for this team and I hope he can keep it up.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Final thought. Wilson is a bully. A bully who takes advantage of the fact that most NHL players do follow a code. It is why Gud pissed him off so much last night. He did not fall into that trap. He treated Wilson with the respect that Wilson has earned. None. Again, that is not a fighter. That is a good teammate who has your back. I would want a guy like That on my team over ten Reaves.

I still want a signed "lion in the jungle" picture.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
It is a 6 game sample size. I'm happy, but let's remember that. He could return to being bad at any moment. Also think he's got like a 105 PDO right now so he's bound to get some worse on ice luck at some point.

But credit to the big lug. He's been a huge shot in the arm for this team and I hope he can keep it up.

Agreed, and I don't think that's being negative or anything. Give it time. Also he will need to be sheltered like any other bottom pair D when the playoffs start. That is unless he is rounding into 4th overall pick form and JR is actually a Jedi master (kidding).

Reactions: Pancakes and BHD

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I missed all but the last half of the 3rd period last night. Apparently someone laid a big hit on Wilson. Who tagged him? More importantly, is there video?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That game reminded me of the 2017 Penguins. They did not dominate by any means, but it was a solid, solid game. For the most part kept the Caps to the outside even if they got hemmed in their zone a bit. They came back from a multi goal deficit. They scored in bunches.

Can't say enough good things about McCann, Bjugstad, and Gudzilla. Still not sure about the Gudbranson trade long term given their situation on defense, but he's been great for the Penguins so far.

Also, don't know if I missed something before or not, but it was good to see Rust is back skating. Whether he goes back with Crosby and McCann slides to L2 or he goes directly with Malkin, he really helps round out the top 6 nicely IMO.

Reactions: Beau Knows

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
On the 2nd goal do you think Holtby was trying to cross-check Sid or attempting something else?
I play goalie and I cannot for the life of me figure out what he was doing....

Reactions: Peat

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Many of us are being proven wrong, and happily so.

That’s why it’s best to not overreact to any deals and let them play out. The last two deals I wigged out over, eventually turned into Guentzel and a guy that helped them win back to back cups (Lovejoy).

However, I was pissed when I came off the ice and grabbed my phone and saw the alert for Gudbranson. Not because I thought he was a train wreck, but because of his contract. That’s still something that will have to be dealt with, but we shall see what happens.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

His 5v5 PDO's actually .989. A reversion to mean who involve the Pens no longer shooting at 2.7% when he's on the ice and converting on one of the 34 high danger chances there's been when he's on ice (or more than 2 of the 74 shots). Even if it were 105, that'd be around fair a guy with 73.91 HDCF%.

Ah, it is 1.041 at ES... yeah, that's still legit for a guy with that sort of high danger chance percentage.

This is with 40.28% zone starts btw. He's got the least sheltered starts of any dman right now. He's just played 20 5v5 minutes against a good playoff team, 10 against their 1st line. That's... stupid impressive. They didn't send us Edler by accident, right?

I know he's probably got to get worse at some point, but he can afford to get a fair bit worse than that and be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad