Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Caps: The big dog gets 1000!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
I give big props to McCann, I think he was the catalyst of the comeback last night when he backchecked and made a beautiful play on Guentzel’s goal.

Before that, there was no energy, crowd was dead and we looked lost.

We need players like him and I think he could be a difference maker in the playoffs, he proved it last night.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm pretty sure the Caps hate us less now that they got a Cup. Finally. Eventually.

But they still hate us, which is great because I don't want to like them ever.

Every now and again I catch myself empathizing with Caps fans; almost feeling a bond with them. After all, no other team's fanbase has been through such a similar set of emotions recently, we share so many moments with them...

I'm not sure this is a good feeling. Still, one can empathize with one's enemies, while still desiring to see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Also, having just finished watching the game, I've got to say, does anyone else have a better feeling about this team this year (as opposed to last season), going into the final stretch?

Right now I'm trying to avoid good feelings and just enjoying the ride one game at a time but I feel like there's something a bit more hard edged and battle ready about this team compared to last year. Last year the team was still finding its legs a little after the deadline re-org and had kinda already shot its best effort in Jan/Feb; also a bit more dependent on gross scoring. This team feels a lot more set, a bit calmer in the head and lively in the sinews, a bit more likely to win games where they're not having much of the puck. So... yeah.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I thought we were a bit lucky since the Caps something like 3 posts and missed quite a few other great chances but still a very impressive comeback. McCann's steal that led to the first goal was so important, that guy has been a real steal. Crosby with two beautiful goals, Phil waking up, Murray overcoming that bad second goal, Geno getting 1,000 points. Lots to like. We are so blessed to have had the pleasure of watching Sid and Geno for so many years and they are still going strong.

I knew they could figure out the PP and there is no need to change the personnel on PP1 other than for a bit to send a message. Phil seems to have heard that message loud and clear. Seeing Trotman on the PP early on was super weird, though.

But how boring was period 1, most neutral viewers were probably put to sleep. :)

And I swear Malkin must be cursed in regards to plus minus this season. Case in point - the second goal - not only was it harmless shot that Murray should have stopped easily, so no skater was at fault but Geno could barely even reach the D zone after he came on for Crosby only to see the puck trickle in. Sure, he needs to be better five on five, no denying that, but there seems to have been a lot of such goals. In other news, Stamkos is minus 3, plus/minus can be such a surprising stat sometimes.

Reactions: vodeni and Trade

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Right now I'm trying to avoid good feelings and just enjoying the ride one game at a time but I feel like there's something a bit more hard edged and battle ready about this team compared to last year. Last year the team was still finding its legs a little after the deadline re-org and had kinda already shot its best effort in Jan/Feb; also a bit more dependent on gross scoring. This team feels a lot more set, a bit calmer in the head and lively in the sinews, a bit more likely to win games where they're not having much of the puck. So... yeah.

I feel like you're at wine tasting and accidentally cross posting. :laugh:

But I agree, the bouquet of gunpowder, leather, cherries, and stone fruits pairs nicely with savory dishes, steaks, and heartier fishes.

But yeah, even if it's a more boring game, or an emotional game, I have more faith in this club to not panic and to... heaven help me... get... back to their... game.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Side note. Kuznetsov looked ****ing atrocious. If that guy doesn't turn it around, I'm not too scared of Washington. One of the main reasons Washington beat us last year was because that player figured it out and had a monster playoff run.
That giveaway to let us back in the game was hilarious. And then when we cashed in he threw his arms up like he was angry at someone else.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
I love seeing Sid congratulate Ovi after the game. Those two have a great rivalry, but it seems like one built on respect. Outside of probably Wilson, I think that's pretty much true between the two teams overall. Contrast that with the Pens vs Flyers, who I think legitimately hate each other. Does anyone think Sid would do the same for a big achievement from Giroux? I don't think he would.

I found it funny how the ref thought Sid and Ovie were about to scrap and stepped in to break them up, only to realize they were genuinely embracing lol.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
By the way, if it wasn't for his tribute and the talk about how good he is on the PK, I literally wouldn't have noticed Hagelin. Which is odd because former players always seem to do well against us.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like you're at wine tasting and accidentally cross posting. :laugh:

But I agree, the bouquet of gunpowder, leather, cherries, and stone fruits pairs nicely with savory dishes, steaks, and heartier fishes.

But yeah, even if it's a more boring game, or an emotional game, I have more faith in this club to not panic and to... heaven help me... get... back to their... game.

:laugh:

Just as long as nobody looks like they should be paired with nacho cheese.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
For sure, Jaded. I'm just speaking as one of the resident Bloodsport fans.

But again, let's not discount the fact that Gud is a big dude who can handle himself. Oleksiak was not suited for Gudbranson's role and look how deflating that was when he went against Wilson and got knocked into next week. You need someone who can fight and is big enough for those sorts of things. Oleksiak was only one of those.

That's the thing. It wasn't a fight. Where one guy injures your star player and you walk up and say 'Sir, you injured our player. The code says that we engage in fisticuffs. Game? No? Oh you poopie head.'

When Wilson merely started with a much smaller Jake, Gud just grabbed him from behind blindside and slammed him backward into the ice, laid on top of him holding him in a headlock. No meaningless fight, simply standing up for a teammate. That actually does mean something. A fight after the fact that your smaller star player is injured? Pretty much nothing.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For sure, Jaded. I'm just speaking as one of the resident Bloodsport fans.

But again, let's not discount the fact that Gud is a big dude who can handle himself. Oleksiak was not suited for Gudbranson's role and look how deflating that was when he went against Wilson and got knocked into next week. You need someone who can fight and is big enough for those sorts of things. Oleksiak was only one of those.

Tbf, any tough guy is going to struggle when he gets sucker punched while his gloves are still coming off - that's not really going against, that's getting assaulted. Gudzilla could have just as easily got a concussion when Wilson got up from their wrestling match and started to unload while Gudzilla was still on the floor.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Good night and performance overall, was pissed at 2-0 but the guys showed some heart and again like Sunday night, when they turn it on not many teams can match up
Hopefully going in we stay hot and do some damage
Murray is playing like an All Star!

Reactions: Lustaf

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I love seeing Sid congratulate Ovi after the game. Those two have a great rivalry, but it seems like one built on respect. Outside of probably Wilson, I think that's pretty much true between the two teams overall. Contrast that with the Pens vs Flyers, who I think legitimately hate each other. Does anyone think Sid would do the same for a big achievement from Giroux? I don't think he would.

I hate Ovechkin. I still remember the '09 ECSF hit on Gonchar. No one would be happy about this if the Pens lost.

I have no doubt he dislikes Giroux. Dude is such a rat. A$$ grabbing, overrated player in a joke of an organization.

I absolutely despise both players' teams and fans.

I don’t post on here often, but I justed to say you are 100% correct on that statement. I still don’t understand these people, I know a lot of people who take so much pleasure in watching him fail and then every time he does Fleury somehow gets involved. I’m convinced if Murray was a French Canadian with a bubbly personality and made funny commercials he would be the toast of the town. Sorry for the rant.

No apologies necessary, brother! Anyone who dislikes the bizarre, obsessive, mentally unstable (not judging the mentally ill by any means) Fleury maniacs is a friend of mine!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Final thought. Wilson is a bully. A bully who takes advantage of the fact that most NHL players do follow a code. It is why Gud pissed him off so much last night. He did not fall into that trap. He treated Wilson with the respect that Wilson has earned. None. Again, that is not a fighter. That is a good teammate who has your back. I would want a guy like That on my team over ten Reaves.

Reactions: Lustaf and NMK11

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Missed the game, but good to hear Guds is willing to just do something rather than square up and fight after the whistle. If you're going to go after toughness, that's the type you want, not a stage fighter.

And reading through the first few pages, sounds like TB was meh? Did he stay with Malkin/Kessel the whole game?

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Missed the game, but good to hear Guds is willing to just do something rather than square up and fight after the whistle. If you're going to go after toughness, that's the type you want, not a stage fighter.

And reading through the first few pages, sounds like TB was meh? Did he stay with Malkin/Kessel the whole game?

Stuck with them all game although he had one glorious chance when he jumped on with Sid and Jake already on ice. One glorious stretch clearance that led to nothing. But mainly just meh.

Incidentally, I only just noticed while going over the stats to double check this that Bjugstad had 7 of our 5v5 shots, and 5 out of the 12 high danger chances. I like it.

Reactions: ETA

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Final thought. Wilson is a bully. A bully who takes advantage of the fact that most NHL players do follow a code. It is why Gud pissed him off so much last night. He did not fall into that trap. He treated Wilson with the respect that Wilson has earned. None. Again, that is not a fighter. That is a good teammate who has your back. I would want a guy like That on my team over ten Reaves.
well if reaves would of skated past Wilson and over to the bench and pounded on Ovechkin as he has been known to do (although we never saw it) I would of been just as happy.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Actually I'd like to talk more about Bjoogs' stats. Most shots and HD chances at 5v5, most minutes among forwards, solid relative possession stats, most hits, most blocks for a forward, and all with mainly defensive zone starts. He's being a really solid guy who can be leaned on and who is making things happen.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I will say this.

I hate the idea of an enforcer role. Screamed bloody murder at the Reaves trade. They do not dissuade anyone, especially a psychopath like Wilson.

However GudgoingtoBranson may be a different story for me. He won me over by jumping Wilson BEFORE he could harm Jake. From behind, blindside. He saw what was going on and jumped him. Awareness of what is going on. Standing up for your star teammates. Much different than some meaningless dance after the fact. He can actually play as well, at least so far.

Really agree, man. I want fighting out of the game so badly, but there is no denying that as soon as Gud did what he did, Wilson calmed the hell down. SIGNIFICANTLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->