Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Caps: The big dog gets 1000!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
What an awesome comeback! Thank you McCann for lighting the fuse. Congrats to Geno on his incredible milestone.

Oh and they did this without some key players in the lineup. This definitely feels good man.

I just realized now that McCann blew past Orpik on that first goal. Sweet.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So with 85 points I'd say if we get 6 more wins we're in pretty much for sure. 5 wins might be enough as well. Feeling pretty good right now about our chances.

Reactions: KIRK

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Why are folks considering rearranging the personnel on D right now (other than the obvious Letang for Trotman). Sully is finally managing ice time, situations and partners to a degree we can't complain about, and it's going to get even easier with Tanger. You don't mess with that.

Just hope the team doesn't suddenly start playing dumb again when healthy.
Once you add in a Letang the IQ of this team drops about 97 points...

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Pens fans seem to forget he gave up bad goals throughout 15-16 and 16-17. Thing was he shut it down after. He’s back to that level.

That should be a scary thing for the rest of the league.

The scarier thing would be a healthy Letang and a L2 that crystallizes like L1 and L3 have

#RustReturn, #PhilNoLongerPreseasonMode

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The scarier thing would be a healthy Letang and a L2 that crystallizes like L1 and L3 have

Yeah, that has been an ongoing worry for me.

The team seems to have rallied around the challenge of Rust going down, as well as 3 of their top 4 defensemen right after that outdoor game. In response everyone has picked up the slack and supported, worked hard, and played the way we have wanted them to all year.

The fear is what happens when they get people back? Do the returned players fit into this new found responsible play? Do the ones who are playing hard and responsibly now keep it up when Letang and the others are back?

Far too often this year the team, and I use the word 'team' every loosely, seemed way too much like a collection of talented players, and some of questionable talent, each acting independently and seemingly far too often without a clue where anyone else was. They could not complete a pass if their lives depended on it. Can they remain a 'team' as they are playing now once healthy again?

That question and its answer will determine how far they go in the playoffs.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

The team seems to have rallied around the challenge of Rust going down, as well as 3 of their top 4 defensemen right after that outdoor game. In response everyone has picked up the slack and supported, worked hard, and played the way we have wanted them to all year.

The fear is what happens when they get people back? Do the returned players fit into this new found responsible play? Do the ones who are playing hard and responsibly now keep it up when Letang and the others are back?

Far too often this year the team, and I use the word 'team' every loosely, seemed way too much like a collection of talented players, and some of questionable talent, each acting independently and seemingly far too often without a clue where anyone else was. They could not complete a pass if their lives depended on it. Can they remain a 'team' as they are playing now once healthy again?

We have three defensemen without a cup.

We have a member of each line without a cup.

I don’t doubt our core in crunch time.

And players like McCann, Gudbranson, Johnson, Bjugstad are all 1st round picks on underachieving teams that have never had a taste. That’s huge. They are used to being winners.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

No Letang, but JJ and Guddy Mob knowing they have to watch their asses?

Or intermittent Letang scoring, but JJ playing like vomit all over the ice?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

There 100% is a spot for Rust. It's beyond obvious given how L1 and L3 have crystallized. It reminds me of 2016, when you saw HBK come together and it just became so obvious that a returning from injury Geno would slot between Kunitz and Rust.

While I'm not as much of a fan of Rust on Geno's LW as his RW, the fact remains that we've seen Rust-Geno-Kessel play big in big games, including in the playoffs.

And, Geno's game, again save for the hesitancy to shoot, seems to have rounded into form . . . and more importantly, he's healthy, knock on wood.

Honestly, the great unknowns for me are (a) whether Phil will realize preseason is over by the time April rolls around and (b) whether Sully will **** up the obvious because, well, he's Sully.

BUT, IF we get Rust-Geno-Phil, then I'm not worried about how that line meshes into the team. I think the potential is there to complete the picture up front.

On the other hand, I do get wondering what happens when Letang returns. I mean, OBVIOUSLY you're better. And, there's a great trickle down effect for L2, because they'll more regularly have someone who can support the offense from the blueline.

BUT, are you going to get 2016 Letang . . . or 2018 Letang, and how will Letang's return effect, if at all, the team's renewed commitment to collective defensive play?

I'm guessing this is where you're going, yes?

I'll put it this way . . . I see LEGIT potential for something special, because good Rust and good Letang 100% are the pieces that can complete the team. That's more than I can say about how I felt about this team in late March a year ago.

JJ is back to mediocre / bad levels.

Reducing his role a little with a Letang return could help.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Team is really fun and likeable lately. Florida trade gets better every day and Gudbranson continues to make me feel like an idiot.

Congrats to Geno, a real one if there ever was one.
Yep. Don't feel like an idiot. Few saw the G trade as positive. I'm delighted I was wrong!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
There 100% is a spot for Rust. It's beyond obvious given how L1 and L3 have crystallized. It reminds me of 2016, when you saw HBK come together and it just became so obvious that a returning from injury Geno would slot between Kunitz and Rust.

While I'm not as much of a fan of Rust on Geno's LW as his RW, the fact remains that we've seen Rust-Geno-Kessel play big in big games, including in the playoffs.

And, Geno's game, again save for the hesitancy to shoot, seems to have rounded into form . . . and more importantly, he's healthy, knock on wood.

Honestly, the great unknowns for me are (a) whether Phil will realize preseason is over by the time April rolls around and (b) whether Sully will **** up the obvious because, well, he's Sully.

BUT, IF we get Rust-Geno-Phil, then I'm not worried about how that line meshes into the team. I think the potential is there to complete the picture up front.

On the other hand, I do get wondering what happens when Letang returns. I mean, OBVIOUSLY you're better. And, there's a great trickle down effect for L2, because they'll more regularly have someone who can support the offense from the blueline.

BUT, are you going to get 2016 Letang . . . or 2018 Letang, and how will Letang's return effect, if at all, the team's renewed commitment to collective defensive play?

I'm guessing this is where you're going, yes?

I'll put it this way . . . I see LEGIT potential for something special, because good Rust and good Letang 100% are the pieces that can complete the team. That's more than I can say about how I felt about this team in late March a year ago.

Reducing his role a little with a Letang return could help.
Lol f*** you.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
What an awesome comeback! Thank you McCann for lighting the fuse. Congrats to Geno on his incredible milestone.

Oh and they did this without some key players in the lineup. This definitely feels good man.

I just realized now that McCann blew past Orpik on that first goal. Sweet.

Is McCann the real Piece? If it turns out we win some hardware this year, I vote yes....
Discuss amongst yourselves...

Reactions: TNT87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad