Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Caps: The big dog gets 1000!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I didn't think we played that great but you have to limit your expectations on what this team can play like without Letang. Not to mention we're also missing Rust who brings a lot of two-way play to our lineup as well. It's not going to be pretty without those guys but we need the points and have to find ways to win. We did exactly that tonight.

Reactions: Andy99 and ncm7772

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
How about Gudbranson leading the team in minutes today. Gudbranson has looked really good. His skating, passing , defensive positioning, physical play, and also his protecting of Guentzel tonight is so much better than what was talked about after the trade. Gudbranson has been playing top 4 minutes and doing a very good job. I will argue he fits exactly what we needed to add to our defense.

There must be a glitch in the matrix. He was sooooooooooo bad in Vancouver that you wouldn’t even think a change of scenery would do much. Seemed like a guy who the game had gone past.

tenor.gif

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yea I was mad about a Gudbranson but I already like him more than Pearson.. so long as he doesn’t implode. There’s definitely something unsustainable about his play looking at his possession stats :laugh:

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
++++++++JR for, among his various missteps since 2017, getting McCann, Bjugstad and Petterson.

+++++Murray. For bouncing back after his terrible 2nd goal. On the balance, from that point on the Caps should have gotten 2 more. They got 1. So he made up for it.

++++Geno had good hop and getting 1,000 was huge. Nothing cheap about that secondary assist either. He laid it on an absolute platter for Schultz to step into and make that goal happen. It would be cool if he would end up with I-279 (1,279) or I-376. It would be so Pittsburgh.

++++Sid/Jake/MCCANN. Oh my goodness, Jared McCann is really good.

++I think Simon played well at even strength. He gets a lot of **** on this board but he constantly demonstrates skill and good awareness. A viable middle-six player for cheap. I like.

-----Trotman. Why.

-----Kessel at Even Strength. :help:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, I've mentioned it over the past week or so as many here have, but Trotman is really hurting us. We can't continue to give him meaningful minutes and get away with it. Another adventure tonight. Feel bad for Dumo.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Speaking of that, I ****ing hate how the Pittsburgh media, specifically Yohe, fan the ignorant yinzers who pleasure themselves to Matt Murray failing. It's so infuriating to listen to, yet he always does it.

EDIT: for what it's worth, this week on the Athletic I think Yohe called Murray the smartest guy on the team

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I gotta give a shout to Gudzilla. He's really proving me wrong, and the sample keeps growing along with his confidence. Keep up the good work.

Is Wideman still banged up? I wouldn't mind him getting a shot over Trotman. Or Prow for that matter. Nothing against Riikola but I think Sully is going to stick with guys on their proper sides from here on out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I gotta give a shout to Gudzilla. He's really proving me wrong, and the sample keeps growing along with his confidence. Keep up the good work.

Is Wideman still banged up? I wouldn't mind him getting a shot over Trotman. Or Prow for that matter. Nothing against Riikola but I think Sully is going to stick with guys on their proper sides from here on out.

Yeah, Gudbranson has been dumb good. It’s insane.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
There must be a glitch in the matrix. He was sooooooooooo bad in Vancouver that you wouldn’t even think a change of scenery would do much. Seemed like a guy who the game had gone past.

tenor.gif
I could see someone saying the game passed him by if he was a bad skater but his skating is very good for a big man. Plus his transition game and almost everything about him was so much better than advertised. How many would believe he would lead the Pens defenseman in minutes against the Caps? We are not just talking about a defenseman doing okay on the bottom pairing. This guy has been getting top 4 minutes and in this case tonight top minutes and still playing well. Gudbranson checks a lot of boxes for what the Pens needed in a defenseman at the deadline. That Pettersson-Gudbranson pairing looks like it will get the same amount of ice time as the Johnson-Schultz pairing. I think with those two pairings behind the Dumoulin-Letang pairing this team has a very solid defense going into the playoffs.

Nice to see Rust skating and looking good. Considering he has a lower body injury it is a good sign he can skate that well. I can see him back much sooner than I expected. Sure hope Letang gets back soon also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad