Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Bruins | Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
stats courtesy of another poster…

“Penguins currently have the worst record of any playoff team over last 10 games at 3-6-1. LA is the only other playoff team without at least a .500 record over their last 10 games, at 4-5-1. Boston is 5-5-0. Everyone else is above .500 in their last 10.

Penguins have played 5 of their final 10 games to close out the season. In those 5 games:
--The team has gone 2-2-1, and one of those wins required OT.
--They are 12th in GF and 12th in GA over these 5 games.
--Their PP is 26th at 7.1% and PK is 15th at 88.9%
--They are 13th in shots for per game at 32.2
--They have allowed 37 shots per game, 5th highest overall, and highest of any playoff team (ANA, NYI, SJ, and DET are worse)
--They lost both games (WSH & BOS) the teams they needed to beat the most due to current playoff standings.”

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I guess. I don’t really subscribe to Reirden being a good assistant. Our Powerplay has been in shambles for most of the last two years and every defenseman but Letang and Matheson have gotten worse.
You know I'd argue there are other reasons for that haha.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Dying on the Sully hill in what could be the final year for the big three together should result in Hextall also losing his job. If this team doesn’t make it out of the first round, even Sully will have used his 9 lives.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
View attachment 531717

6 high danger chances against total. That's possibly a season best. That for me is structured defensive hockey.

I don't really agree about the Islanders game either. I thought it was a good step forward.
10 high danger chances against, which is well within the norm. We had 14.
We won a lot of games earlier in the year with similar breakdowns.

I think the defense is trending the right way. Goaltending too.
The high danger chance conversion at ES and the PP is what concerns me most...well, apart from our starter being unavailable for playoffs lol.
Oh my gosh! You are driving me insane. nt sure whteher you are sincere or just trolling at this point. The defense is taking a nosedive, our bottom 4 defensman colelctively entered the worst possible form, Marino dumolin second pair is huge liability they suck...ruh and Petts are weill Ruh and Petts, even Letang and Matheson you can count on 3-4 critical brain dead plays that lead to great chances...This team will not win one game in PO with this defense. The only chance is if our offense somehow goes into suffocation mode and manage to push the puck on their side..you are showing this stat: this is with three PPs even strength we were at 41% chances, 38% shots on goal, etc...
1650143654308.png

when your defense that is already bad have second line like this, you have zero chance to do anything good..

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Again you just don't get anything that I said. Not shocked.

Tocchet as an assistant is fine. As a head coach he might lack a ton but as an assistant that has a more specialized role, he works. He was the one that took Stamkos aside and got him in touch With Roberts to get in better shape and Stamkos has stated that help as well.

He's coached 2 teams that were awful and their gms didn't do much to help. I'm not advocating Tocchet as the head coach. But that Sullivan got so much credit for the 2 cups but the last 5 seasons are apparently not his fault at all. Just others f***ing up his brilliance.

Every player that was internal developed played for Sullivan in WBS.
Again you just don't get anything that I said. Not shocked.

Tocchet as an assistant is fine. As a head coach he might lack a ton but as an assistant that has a more specialized role, he works. He was the one that took Stamkos aside and got him in touch With Roberts to get in better shape and Stamkos has stated that help as well.

He's coached 2 teams that were awful and their gms didn't do much to help. I'm not advocating Tocchet as the head coach. But that Sullivan got so much credit for the 2 cups but the last 5 seasons are apparently not his fault at all. Just others f***ing up his brilliance.

Every young player that had an effect on this team was coached by Sullivan in WBS in the back to back outside of Guentzel.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Pens fail to win again against big bodied teams when big bodies teams half to play hard to make a playoff push... Same ole story year end and year out.. Pens suck at defense then when they are forced to play better defense with bringing all the forwards back to help the very bad defensemen on this team they suck at offense..

Reactions: Andy99

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Yeah, and the 2nd line is the players that need to change. I mean flop Blueger and Carter it ain’t going to change shit especially since that Blueger line actually did fairly well and scored a goal.

Im not flopping Blueger and Carter.

Erod should be at center. Put Carter on line 4 with Boyle right now. Limit his time some.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Pens fail to win again against big bodied teams when big bodies teams half to play hard to make a playoff push... Same ole story year end and year out.. Pens suck at defense then when they are forced to play better defense with bringing all the forwards back to help the very bad defensemen on this team they suck at offense..

Boston is not a big bodied team lol

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Every young player that had an effect on this team was coached by Sullivan in WBS in the back to back outside of Guentzel.

This is like a myth he barely coached guys in the ahl. You realize Sullivan coach all of 24 AHL games. 24

Sheary played 90 games in the AHL - 24 with sully
Rust played over 60 games in the AHL - 16 with Sully
Kuhn played over 150 games in the Ahl - 23 with Sully
Murray player over 70 games in the Ahl - 24 with Sully

All of those players had good seasons before sully took over.

Sully barely coached these players in the AHL. Those were the only 4 players he coached down there.

If anything Hynes develop all of those guys.

Reactions: Pens x

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Oh my gosh! You are driving me insane. nt sure whteher you are sincere or just trolling at this point. The defense is taking a nosedive, our bottom 4 defensman colelctively entered the worst possible form, Marino dumolin second pair is huge liability they suck...ruh and Petts are weill Ruh and Petts, even Letang and Matheson you can count on 3-4 critical brain dead plays that lead to great chances...This team will not win one game in PO with this defense. The only chance is if our offense somehow goes into suffocation mode and manage to push the puck on their side..you are showing this stat: this is with three PPs even strength we were at 41% chances, 38% shots on goal, etc...
View attachment 531738

when your defense that is already bad have second line like this, you have zero chance to do anything good..
Fine. You're locking in us getting swept.

I'm not convinced you're right. I think we'll make a close series yet. We'll see what happens.

But yeah I'm trolling because I can remark on recent improvements in the team defense, instead of denying it and sticking to my guns.

Never said anything about our offense. And I agree that it's a huge point of concern.
But if games are gonna be 2-1 or 3-2 then we may hang in there imo, with a little luck.

Reactions: vodeni

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kapanen had a good game and then was played 5:36 in the next.

I am not sure what these blokes have to do to get ice time. Playing well doesn't cut it. Meanwhile Rodrigues had 8pts in 46 games with top powerplay time and somehow that was ok.

You mean the European player doesn't get the same breaks as the American kid out of the NCAA? That's a movie I've never seen before with this coach. :sarcasm:

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Kapanen had a good game and then was played 5:36 in the next.

I am not sure what these blokes have to do to get ice time. Playing well doesn't cut it. Meanwhile Rodrigues had 8pts in 46 games with top powerplay time and somehow that was ok.

You know kap is the one who will get sat when Geno comes back too. Sullivan doesnt care about accountability. He wants to be the guy who went against the grain and was right.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
To be honest, as much as I'm kind of fed up with Sullivan and some of his lineup decisions, I can't be too mad at him considering the collection of forwards we have and group of defensemen we have.

Can he do things differently to maximize the roster available to him? I think he can. But at the same time I look down our lineup and see maybe 4 guys with actual skill (with Malkin out) with the rest of the roster full of vanilla, middle six replaceable pieces, and a defense corps with basically the entire D-corps minus Letang being #4/5 guys on other contenders, and I remember how utterly vanilla this roster is.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
To be honest, as much as I'm kind of fed up with Sullivan and some of his lineup decisions, I can't be too mad at him considering the collection of forwards we have and group of defensemen we have.

Can he do things differently to maximize the roster available to him? I think he can. But at the same time I look down our lineup and see maybe 4 guys with actual skill (with Malkin out) with the rest of the roster full of vanilla, middle six replaceable pieces, and a defense corps with basically the entire D-corps minus Letang being #4/5 guys on other contenders, and I remember how utterly vanilla this roster is.

I challenge this a little bit because this team seems to have a lot of players that you’d think will “win playoff series” in terms of depth. Kind of reminds me of the 11-12 squad to be honest.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I challenge this a little bit because this team seems to have a lot of players that you’d think will “win playoff series” in terms of depth. Kind of reminds me of the 11-12 squad to be honest.

Such as? Which of our middle six plugs have track records of taking their game to a different level in the playoffs like an Alex Killorn or JG Pageau does? Maybe Carter, assuming age hasn't finally caught up to him?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Kap has score 20 before
Zucker has 5 20 goal seasons
Rakell has 2 30 goal seasons

Than is definitely skill in the line up. Sullivan wants players to play like grinders. What do you expect?

This forward lineup has more overall skill than the 2016-2017 squad

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad