Status
Not open for further replies.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Kap has score 20 before
Zucker has 5 20 goal seasons
Rakell has 2 30 goal seasons

Than is definitely skill in the line up. Sullivan wants players to play like grinders. What do you expect?

This forward lineup has more overall skill than the 2016-2017 squad

Sullivan wants the team to play like GCR, he says it all the time. The biggest problem with the team is Sullivan having an orgasm everytime they make give and go plays around the perimeter.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kap has score 20 before
Zucker has 5 20 goal seasons
Rakell has 2 30 goal seasons

Than is definitely skill in the line up. Sullivan wants players to play like grinders. What do you expect?

This forward lineup has more overall skill than the 2016-2017 squad

I included Rakell in the "maybe 4 guys with skill" category along with Sid, Jake and Rust.

Kapanen's scored 20 goals one time in his career. Every other season he's been around what he is this year. And even then, it's not like he's got a track record of being a clutch playoff performer who takes his game up a notch.

Zucker's damaged goods. He may wack home 15-20 goals in a season, but I think he falls into the category of not someone who will actually create offense. He may get a goal here or there, but he's not going to consistently carry a struggling 2nd or 3rd line with his skill level.

The depth may be a bit better than the 2016-2017 squad, but not nearly enough to offset the fact Crosby/Malkin are no longer those guys, nor is there a replacement for what Kessel brought to those two teams.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You did not play OT and you had 4 forwards well over 21:00 minutes. They had no life towards the end of the game, points where the puck was still in their end and they were slowly skating off for a change and allowed Boston to get to the puck they should have never had the chance at.

If you don't trust your team below the stars how do you expect them to give depth scoring.

This is a coaching problem.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Sloppy game by both teams, the Bruins had a puck a bouncing into the net while the equivalent puck for the Pens somehow bounced into the Bruins goalie. If they play like that in the playoffs they are going home early. L2 is not working at all, we don't have a lot of options but honestly I would rather play L4 more, it's not like they are much more likely to score but if nobody is going to score at least give grandpa Carter a bit of a rest. The defensive structure was better (maybe Jarry's injury was a wake-up call) but the Bruins weren't trying all that hard to attack once we gifted them two goals. Playing half-decent defense only when Sid and/or Geno is injured/suspended is not exactly a recipe for success either.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I included Rakell in the "maybe 4 guys with skill" category along with Sid, Jake and Rust.

Kapanen's scored 20 goals one time in his career. Every other season he's been around what he is this year. And even then, it's not like he's got a track record of being a clutch playoff performer who takes his game up a notch.

Zucker's damaged goods. He may wack home 15-20 goals in a season, but I think he falls into the category of not someone who will actually create offense. He may get a goal here or there, but he's not going to consistently carry a struggling 2nd or 3rd line with his skill level.

The depth may be a bit better than the 2016-2017 squad, but not nearly enough to offset the fact Crosby/Malkin are no longer those guys, nor is there a replacement for what Kessel brought to those two teams.

Kapanen has a pretty good history of stepping up in big games actually.

WJC, 2017 against the Caps (with Boyle lol), SH in G7 against the Bruins, clutch goal against the Isles last year.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
You did not play OT and you had 4 forwards well over 21:00 minutes. They had no life towards the end of the game, points where the puck was still in their end and they were slowly skating off for a change and allowed Boston to get to the puck they should have never had the chance at.

If you don't trust your team below the stars how do you expect them to give depth scoring.

This is a coaching problem.

Look at the ice time on the Bruins. Similar 5on5, difference was that the Pens top unit took up most of the pp time.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Sounds like i picked a great game to fall asleep right before it started and totally miss…
Should you change your name?

Bruins suffocated us when we were in their zone, won board battles, and allowed few second chances. Pens didn't play horribly for the last 56 minutes, but struggled again against an aggressive forecheck to consistently move puck out of their own end.

Pretty typical Bruins/Pens game in Boston over the past 7 or 8 years.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Sloppy game by both teams, the Bruins had a puck a bouncing into the net while the equivalent puck for the Pens somehow bounced into the Bruins goalie. If they play like that in the playoffs they are going home early. L2 is not working at all, we don't have a lot of options but honestly I would rather play L4 more, it's not like they are much more likely to score but if nobody is going to score at least give grandpa Carter a bit of a rest. The defensive structure was better (maybe Jarry's injury was a wake-up call) but the Bruins weren't trying all that hard to attack once we gifted them two goals. Playing half-decent defense only when Sid and/or Geno is injured/suspended is not exactly a recipe for success either.
Carter looked really bad. He needs some games off and a demotion for Blueger honestly

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Should you change your name?

Bruins suffocated us when we were in their zone, won board battles, and allowed few second chances. Pens didn't play horribly for the last 56 minutes, but struggled again against an aggressive forecheck to consistently move puck out of their own end.

Pretty typical Bruins/Pens game in Boston over the past 7 or 8 years.

I disagree completely.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Kunitz was damaged goods to but Sullivan made the right decisions when he needed to. He made adjustments. Kunitz was moved up in game 7 and Jake was demoted.

Kunitz scored 2 goals.

Sullivan wont dare to actually make tough decisions now

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kapanen has a pretty good history of stepping up in big games actually.

WJC, 2017 against the Caps (with Boyle lol), SH in G7 against the Bruins, clutch goal against the Isles last year.

We'll see this playoffs. I don't see anyone of our depth outside of maybe Carter having a repeat of last playoffs providing the kind of secondary offense or performance needed to go deep in the playoffs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
We'll see this playoffs. I don't see anyone of our depth outside of maybe Carter having a repeat of last playoffs providing the kind of secondary offense or performance needed to go deep in the playoffs.

I don’t either. I’m just saying that seems to be the “identity” they went with. Not sure I believe in it, but whatever.

Could see it working out next year if we actually call on our youth instead of running Rodrigues on our top PP.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don’t either. I’m just saying that seems to be the “identity” they went with. Not sure I believe in it, but whatever.

Could see it working out next year if we actually call on our youth instead of running Rodrigues on our top PP.

The "identity" they seemed to go with is a bunch of North/South wingers who skate pretty fast and take a lot of shots to bump up those "shot attempts for metrics", but who lack the finishing ability or creativity to actually match their actual goals with their "expected" goals.

E-Rod is a microcosm of what this team under Sullivan seems to want. Guys who'll skate fast and take a million shots, but in reality will only score once in a blue moon because of the lack of finishing ability.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The "identity" they seemed to go with is a bunch of North/South wingers who skate pretty fast and take a lot of shots to bump up those "shot attempts for metrics", but who lack the finishing ability or creativity to actually match their actual goals with their "expected" goals.

E-Rod is a microcosm of what this team under Sullivan seems to want. Guys who'll skate fast and take a million shots, but in reality will only score once in a blue moon because of the lack of finishing ability.

We are 9th in goals at 5v5. 2nd best in the Metro. We just scored 4+ on one of the better goalies in the league.

I know you have this narrative you want to stick to, but there are a ton of players that can fill the net on this team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We are 9th in goals at 5v5. 2nd best in the Metro. We just scored 4+ on one of the better goalies in the league.

I know you have this narrative you want to stick to, but there are a ton of players that can fill the net on this team.

We're talking about DEPTH. Why are you including what Sid/Jake/Malkin/Rust do in that? Sid and Jake accounted for 3 of those goals against the Isles.

The Pens also drop to 15th in G/60 when you factor in games played.

I know YOU have this thing where you just like to argue, but come on. Stop acting like our offense is fine.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
We're talking about DEPTH. Why are you including what Sid/Jake/Malkin/Rust do in that? Sid and Jake accounted for 3 of those goals against the Isles.

The Pens also drop to 15th in G/60 when you factor in games played.

I know YOU have this thing where you just like to argue, but come on. Stop acting like our offense is fine.

We have 12 forwards that would be at 10 goals or more this season if healthy.

Not sure what else “depth” is.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Boston is not a big bodied team lol
BOS is 14th. in the league in terms of avg. weight and avg. height. Penguins are last in terms of avg. weight, 27th by avg. height. We are giving up about 7lbs / man to Boston on average. Rangers are almost exactly the same mass as the Bruins. Isles are the fattest, at 205lb/man. 12lb/man more than the Pens. Who knows what these numbers mean? Of course Jarry is broken. ;)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
BOS is 14th. in the league in terms of avg. weight and avg. height. Penguins are last in terms of avg. weight, 27th by avg. height. We are giving up about 7lbs / man to Boston on average. Rangers are almost exactly the same mass as the Bruins. Isles are the fattest, at 205lb/man. 12lb/man more than the Pens. Who knows what these numbers mean? Of course Jarry is broken. ;)

Boston’s top six is smaller than ours.

Their most physical forward is 5’9 and weighs 180.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Boston’s top six is smaller than ours.

Their most physical forward is 5’9 and weighs 180.

Boston is bigger and more physical. So are the Isles and almost every other team in the league. Why people can't put 2 + 2 together, and figure out that in a physical sport smaller, weaker players get hurt more is simply beyond me. When you have a defense soft as butter, expect your goalie to get ran. We've seen this happen the last 4 playoffs, and guess what, it's going to happen again in a few weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad