Post-Game Talk: Pens/Stars: The stars came to play! As in the Sid/Geno, not Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's a false designation. He's used as an LW whenever the coach sees fit, including this year, and not with Kessel.

Yet keeps getting moved back to RW after short stints at LW. Hey, I'm not opposed to trying what you want, but you act like the answers are so obvious and Sully is just a moron.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Guentzel, Pearson is one even with a rough year, and Simon is turning into one.

The only trash winger we have on the left side or used as one are Aston-Reese, Grant, and Sheahan.

Right and Simon-Rust has been a winger pair this year. @Warm Cookies is acting like all would be fixed if Sully just played Rust next to these mythical skilled wingers. Rust sucks right now because of Rust. He's played all over the lineup and hasn't done much of anything with anyone.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Guentzel, Pearson is one even with a rough year, and Simon is turning into one.

The only trash winger we have on the left side or used as one are Aston-Reese, Grant, and Sheahan.

Simon won’t work well with Rust outside of playing with Sid at the moment. Pearson and Rust may work with Geno. Outside of that with his current play he’s on the 4th line (possibly traded in the right deal).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He's not the same player he was in previous seasons. He broke into the league on the 4th line. Let him find his game again there.

Rust is the same player he's always been. Like anyone else, he needs to be used properly.

They werent good lines so didn’t last long. Rust has played about 95% of his career as a RW. He’s a RW first and foremost.

No kidding the lines weren't good. You could predict that much by looking at the line-up sheet.

Rust is an LW when it suits the coach. The coach ought to do it with lines that make some kind of sense instead of his patented dead-on-arrival combos.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Rust is the same player he's always been. Like anyone else, he needs to be used properly.

No kidding the lines weren't good. You could predict that much by looking at the line-up sheet.

Rust is an LW when it suits the coach. The coach ought to do it with lines that make some kind of sense instead of his patented dead-on-arrival combos.

I don’t think he ever wants Rust on the LW. It’s not a suits him scenario but he’s trying lots of things because of where we are at. Somethings work and some don’t. The D is having a big bearing on that too.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Goalie was good tonight.
defense was OK, both letang and Dumo had some bad turnovers but by and large carried the play. I thought JJ had maybe his best game and Riikola was very fine all night, now wherther Stars were slow or they had done much better job in bringing puck up the middle

First line was awesome, second line was so so, geno was trying hard, but that line is just not good fprechecking line, they cannot get quickly to the puck, unless our d-man take over the blue line, then Geno is doing magic. Phil was garbage tonight, he was actually trying, but just terrible passing, puck mishandling, I am still waiting for the complete decision on Pearson, he shows some signs very positive, but also some negative, definitively pointing in the right direction.

You can tell Brassard's frustration, He needs another skilled player on his line, skilled or fast...I'd stick Simon and Kessel with him and put Rust with Geno and run with that, thenjust have 4th line of whatever...since ZAR is now good to play until we meet Wilson again, it will be ZAR Grant and Sheahan forever as the last three forwards...

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Its never the players fault.

I can at least see your Sprong logic now. Its always someone elses fault.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Your argument for why a player struggles is getting tiresome. It's always the coaches fault.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, can't fault the guy who bends over backwards to find more time and opportunity for Zach Aston-Reese.

Why not both? Clearly Sully deserves blame for how the team has played and it's up to the coach to shift things around to spark some players, but Rust has been all over and still struggled. Maybe it's him?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I always consider context. If players fail when being used in a way that makes sense, they're to blame. If not, it's the coach.

But Rust has been used in a lot of roles, just not the perfect one you seem to think is necessary (which unless I'm mistaken is Rust-Brass-Kessel). Can you please list out the spots where Rust needs to play to not suck?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
But Rust has been used in a lot of roles, just not the perfect one you seem to think is necessary (which unless I'm mistaken is Rust-Brass-Kessel). Can you please list out the spots where Rust needs to play to not suck?

Sullivan could play Rust opposite Kessel or Sprong. Those are really the only 2 spots that work, if we want to get the most out of him. If not, what we see now is basically what we get, so he may be trade fodder.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Rust has been bad with Sheahan, terrible with Malkin. Meh with Brassard.

He’s looked his best with Cullen actually and has been serviceable on Sid’s line.

Overall not his best year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sullivan could play Rust opposite Kessel or Sprong. Those are really the only 2 spots that work, if we want to get the most out of him. If not, what we see now is basically what we get, so he may be trade fodder.
Sprong is not an NHLer at this point in time. So that’d be difficult.

Also Rust - Malkin - Kessel versus Pearson - Malkin - Kessel is a wash.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, can't fault the guy who bends over backwards to find more time and opportunity for Zach Aston-Reese.

Rust can suck all unto himself. Regardless of situation, ice time, linemates, position, etc. He's been played all over the damn lineup. He sucks right now.

It's far more likely that he's just struggling with the expectations that come with being paid like a top 9 NHLer. His production has flatlined because of it and it is now affecting his overall play. You know how you try and solve that? Decrease expectations by telling him to ramp up the intensity and simplify things on the 4th line. His net drive tonight was good to see. When he strings some shifts together where he doesn't look like complete shit, give him a shift with the big boys. He starts scoring again? Move him up permanently.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
When Brassard is in we are putting up 4 goals regularly.

For people doubting him, we certainly still produce a lot when he is playing.

Yeah the stat the other day was that in his time here the Pens average 4 goals when he’s in and 2 goals when he’s out. The GA basically stays the same at around 3.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sprong is not an NHLer at this point in time. So that’d be difficult.

Also Rust - Malkin - Kessel versus Pearson - Malkin - Kessel is a wash.

It's difficult with an obstinate hypocrite for a coach. But we know how that argument goes.

I agree about those lines being a wash. Like I said, if Rust isn't played opposite a skilled winger, it might be best for him to hit the trade block to get us someone who doesn't need to be used that way to be successful. The Pearson acquisition gives us that flexibility moving forward.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's difficult with an obstinate hypocrite for a coach. But we know how that argument goes.

I agree about those lines being a wash. Like I said, if Rust isn't played opposite a skilled winger, it might be best for him to hit the trade block to get us someone who doesn't need to be used that way to be successful. The Pearson acquisition gives us that flexibility moving forward.

It’s not difficult. Sprong isn’t in the NHL.

His coach is Mike Sullivan. If he plays here he will be in the NHL.

Bryan Rust was dropped to the lowest minutes of the team right now. The coach is playing a roster that won tonight and should’ve won the last two games if they play for 60 minutes.

Rust needs to get out of his own ass. Keep it simple like the rest of the players in our line-up right now. Look at Pearson, Jake and Hornqvist tonight. We have heroes down the gut. Play your position, take the simple chances and the stars will set it up.

It is why ZAR is getting ice time despite his mediocrity.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Bunnychow

Jun 15, 2016
Guen - Sid - Horn
Pear - Geno - Rust
xxx x - Bra - Kessel

4th Line:
if you want any kind of offensive
new - TB/LAF - new (sprong)

if you want a blackhole and horrible metrics worse than Sprong
ZAR - GRA/CULL - RUST

We need that third line to do something... anything... package Sprong up and grab a speedy LW or we could have had DUCLAIR like we all said ; )

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Bump Rust down to 4th line. Insert Sprong. Send down Grant. Call up TB. Run with:

Jake Sid Horny
Pearson Geno Kessel/Sprong
Simon Brass Sprong/Kessel
ZAR Sheahan/TB Rust

Only problem is the PK.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Guen - Sid - Horn
Pear - Geno - Rust
xxx x - Bra - Kessel

4th Line:
if you want any kind of offensive
new - TB/LAF - new (sprong)

if you want a blackhole and horrible metrics worse than Sprong
ZAR - GRA/CULL - RUST

We need that third line to do something... anything... package Sprong up and grab a speedy LW or we could have had DUCLAIR like we all said ; )

Not a ZAR Guy, but he is statistically out playing Sprong at pretty much all of the metrics.

At 5v5 this year he’s been a much better player.

Which isn’t really a testament to ZAR’s play as it is to how mediocre Sprong has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad