Post-Game Talk: Pens/Stars: The stars came to play! As in the Sid/Geno, not Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Nice bounce back game. I think everyone REALLY needed this. I won't take anything away from them...however in my opinion Dallas is a slow shit team. The Penguins SHOULD be shallacking them 5-1 like it's any other Wednesday. I hope they build off this.

Couple other thoughts:

1. In times of panic, after this game, I hope Sid shuts his damn mouth about playing with Horny. The entire lineup worked with Horny with Sid and they all had a fantastic game. STFU Sid and play with Horny.

2. We need to send Maatta out and get back a Montour/Mason/Faulk. I would even think about sending Johnson out if anyone would take him.

Dumo-Letang
Oleksiak-Schultz
Rud/JJ-Montour/Masson/Faulk

would help us tremendously.

3. We still need a major system overhaul. It just needs to happen. Something that hopefully doesn't run the offense through the offensively challenged points on the cycle.

Reactions: Peat

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Then you've forgotten all games that took place in Canada ;)
Remind me again how many of those teams were actually "good" because from my recollection, we beat bad teams in the West.

The good teams are coming up. Winnipeg & Colorado are not a joke like the Canucks, Coyotes, Oilers, Flames, and Stars.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Man, there's an insane amount of whining tonight. I realize this is only one game, and it was a win against a bad team, but seriously, come on. With how bad people were trashing this team, you're now going to complain when they win? Wow.

Perfectly reasonable to voice concerns, but there are actually a large number of people complaining about the win tonight. Beggers can't be choosers.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Eh. I think there is one big hole and it’s been there since the start of the season 3rd line LW.

Maybe, we pull a Brassard like move and are able to drop Pearson or Jake down, but ZAR, Cullen, Simon, etc don’t fit on the 3rd line and Brass is clearly impacted.

Nyquist, Silf and Zucc make the most sense as pending UFAs.

Detroit may still have interest in Maatta. And Nyquist seems like a player who could give us some depth scoring ala Sheary.

It's already been talked about how the Ducks and Pens may be discussing a hockey trade. Would love to see Pearson and Silf with Malkin. That just feels like a match made in heaven for 71.

And Zucc has familiarity with Brassard. Those two should be able to carry a less than stellar third wheel. Also seems like a player Sid would gel with.

Reactions: ColePens and KIRK

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
To be honest, I'm not sure why people complain about Grant. He's a fine player, he's a safe and boring option that probably won't hurt you. He's your prototypical defensive 4C, he's fine. I'd honestly like to re-sign him as insurance, since all of Brassard, Cullen and Sheahan should/will be leaving after the year.

I'm not so sure I'd go as far as re-signing him until I see how things play out, but yeah he's a fine depth center. I'd prefer to see him as 13th forward down the stretch though.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I agree with moving Maata, Rust, and Sprong. Call up TB for the 4th line center role.

59-87-72
14-71-81
XX-19-XX
46/15-53-12

8-58
73-XX
6-50

Remember Schultz will be back as well

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It'd be great if Sullivan could figure out how to use Rust. It's not that ****ing hard.

Here's the formula: Play Rust opposite a legit skilled winger, but not with Sid.

Ta-daaaa

Rust is being used accordingly. He should be on the 4th line until his play justifies more ice time.

Let him figure his shit out away from the few players on this team who are producing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not so sure I'd go as far as re-signing him until I see how things play out, but yeah he's a fine depth center. I'd prefer to see him as 13th forward down the stretch though.

That's fair, but I don't think he'll be expensive enough or bad enough for me to regret the decision of re-signing him. Him doing well in an elevated role last season with Anaheim is also influencing my decision on that. He seems like a solid and cheap insurance option in case Rutherford does the same thing he did in 2017 with his centers, he would do better in a 3C role with talent than some random AHL nobody like Greg McKegg.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If your best game of the year is against a depleted Stars team......

0BXkJfq.gif

Calgary?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, Rust is a right winger, so...

I know, I know, you saw Rust play LW for a small sample size with Brass-Kessel and it looked neat.

That's a false designation. He's used as an LW whenever the coach sees fit, including this year, and not with Kessel.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Remind me again how many of those teams were actually "good" because from my recollection, we beat bad teams in the West.

The good teams are coming up. Winnipeg & Colorado are not a joke like the Canucks, Coyotes, Oilers, Flames, and Stars.

So you only get to revise history when it suits you?

Those wins dont count because...

Well if you want i can do the same thing. Despite losing the ahould have won at least against the Isles, the Caps, TB (no crosby) and Buffalo (no crosby) but just like you cant take away the points they rightfully earned on a four game trip across the continent, i cant award them points for game where they outplayed their competition or had multiple goal leads.

Reactions: Peat

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It’s hard when Rust sucks ass

He's a speedy two-way guy who's supposed to complement a skilled type. If anyone thought he was good enough to be either a line-driver or the go-to winger for a scoring line, they had the wrong impression.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He's a speedy two-way guy who's supposed to complement a skilled type. If anyone thought he was good enough to be either a line-driver or the go-to winger for a scoring line, they had the wrong impression.

He's not the same player he was in previous seasons. He broke into the league on the 4th line. Let him find his game again there.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
That's a false designation. He's used as an LW whenever the coach sees fit, including this year, and not with Kessel.

They werent good lines so didn’t last long. Rust has played about 95% of his career as a RW. He’s a RW first and foremost.

Reactions: Shady Machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad