Post-Game Talk: Pens/Stars: The stars came to play! As in the Sid/Geno, not Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Meh... I give this zero worry. Murray is the #1 goalie of this team now and in the future. DeSmith gets the starts for now. This happened to Holtby last year. He lost his net and even lost it for the start of the playoffs. Nobody questions that. Fleury lost it to Johnson. Came back and redeemed himself greatly on his way out. Hell MAF lost it to a couple different backups in his career. Hank lost his net last year and looked like he was an old guy who would never be himself again. Wooops. Look now. He's dominating again.

It happens all the time across the league. Crawford lost his net in a playoff series and Darling won the series for the Hawks and Crawford went back in to win the Cup. It happens.

In other words, Murray is our #1 but it's DeSmith's net until he gives it up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's what speed does. And if people want better clears out of the zone, pressure with speed. It's easier to push defenses back when you can actually push them back with speed. Why would any dman lose their gap against ZAR, Sheahan, or Grant? Like.. no ****ing way. I'd hold the blue the entire time. Lord knows even if they get a breakaway, it ain't going in anyway.

So... you bring up hungry guys. You tell them it's their chance. Sound familiar? Sound like the 15-16 Pens? Yep. You are damn right. And it won't stick with everyone. But you send a message by 1) having an identity and 2) not sticking with plugs just because you feel comfortable with them when you are at the bottom of the standings.

It's a recipe that the organization has used a few times with good success.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's a recipe that the organization has used a few times with good success.

Then seriously why are these pluggers playing? No sarcasm. I don't buy that Sully doesn't trust this crop of WBS. The team is out of the playoffs by a long shot and the bottom 6 STILL isn't producing. Nothing tonight changed that. JR should 100% take control of this.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
100%. I don't care if it rides until April. It's fine. It happens.

Yep. And we certainly can't afford to **** around with any approach but riding the hot hand. We've squandered too many points already.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If your best game of the year is against a depleted Stars team......

0BXkJfq.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Then seriously why are these pluggers playing? No sarcasm. I don't buy that Sully doesn't trust this crop of WBS. The team is out of the playoffs by a long shot and the bottom 6 STILL isn't producing. Nothing tonight changed that. JR should 100% take control of this.

You know that I 100% agree with you.

I don't know what to say, whether it's Sully or JR or both.

BUT, as I keep saying, the fix for the 4th line has to come from WBS.

Look, I think IF we go into the games against Columbus, Winnipeg, and Colorado with these lines and these defensive pairings, what you (and others including me) have been saying about this bottom six will be exposed again.

Only question is how much Sid and/or Geno (maybe with help from Letang and, if he bothers to show, Phil) can do to sugarcoat it.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think we may need to add a more impactful top 9 guy.

OR, I'll put it this way.

You 100% no way out of it need a legit 3/4 defenseman, one who can play a real two way game, has a brain, and can support the offense (an Edler type to be frank would be ideal).'

Then, you need one of (a) another defenseman to replace one of the other dummies OR (b) a more impactful top 9 forward (but preferably both).

Use WBS to clean up the bottom line.

Then, JR's work is done, and Sully is out of excuses.

BUT, until then, JR 100% deserves the greater blame because HE MADE THIS MESS.

Value wise it’s probably a combo of Maatta, Rust and Sprong (plus picks) to get it done.

Not that Maatta is usually a dummy ( he has other issues if not playing smart) but JJ ain’t going anywhere and Oleksiak has little value. Someone would still want him but it’d be a late pick or meh player swap.

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Look, I think IF we go into the games against Columbus, Winnipeg, and Colorado with these lines and these defensive pairings, what you (and others including me) have been saying about this bottom six will be exposed again.

Only question is how much Sid and/or Geno (maybe with help from Letang and, if he bothers to show, Phil) can do to sugarcoat it.

Eh. I think there is one big hole and it’s been there since the start of the season 3rd line LW.

Maybe, we pull a Brassard like move and are able to drop Pearson or Jake down, but ZAR, Cullen, Simon, etc don’t fit on the 3rd line and Brass is clearly impacted.

Reactions: KIRK

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

The team has the pieces to put together a good bottom 6. The problem is that Sully's a stubborn doofus who plays favourites.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Eh. I think there is one big hole and it’s been there since the start of the season 3rd line LW.

Maybe, we pull a Brassard like move and are able to drop Pearson or Jake down, but ZAR, Cullen, Simon, etc don’t fit on the 3rd line and Brass is clearly impacted.

It COULD work with Rust IF you added a winger for Geno-Pearson and then slid Phil down. I think.

Or you could just add that winger with Brass.

I'm not sure how you make the dollars work though.

On the other hand, IF you add 2 defensemen (someone in the Daley to Edler caliber, and then someone who could fit like Cole did) such that they were driving the offense like the defense for the 2016 cup run did, then I think you have enough up front to work (maybe Pearson-Geno-Rust and Simon-Brass-Kessel).

JR is going to have to be creative. Move Maatta, Oleksiak, and Sheahan. There's 8M. The dollars could work to add all 3 pieces. Making the assets work is the trickier part. May mean, for example, having to give Maatta for an expiring deal where it's a legit 3/4 guy. BUT, it can be done IF JR is willing to accept the mess he made and do something to fix it.

EDIT: I would be thrilled to launch JMFJ into outer space, but you and I both know JR won't go there. That's way too big a mea culpa for him to choke on.

The team has the pieces to put together a good bottom 6. The problem is that Sully's a stubborn doofus who plays favourites.

Yep, Sully is part of the problem too. Forget Sprong. He could insist upon guys like Blueger, who fits what he allegedly says he wants in a 4th liner, like a glove.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
EDIT: I would be thrilled to launch JMFJ into outer space, but you and I both know JR won't go there. That's way too big a mea culpa for him to choke on.

Even if he did, moving that contract would be pretty difficult...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Pgh is out of the playoffs by a longshot? They are 6 points out of first place in the division with a game in hand.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I thought Grant was actually the best player in the bottom six outside of Brass.

To be honest, I'm not sure why people complain about Grant. He's a fine player, he's a safe and boring option that probably won't hurt you. He's your prototypical defensive 4C, he's fine. I'd honestly like to re-sign him as insurance, since all of Brassard, Cullen and Sheahan should/will be leaving after the year.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
What propelled the Pens to two cups?

Injections of youth from WBS.

The FO needa to realise that. Grant,Sheahan and ZAR are useless.

But we could plug in anyone back then and they would produce. Why is that not happening now?

Anyway, would be nice if Bellerive and Hallander were ready right now. Or even one of them. Yeah we have others who should be getting a look but those two are on a diff level.

Btw, still say we should see Angello this year. Better version of ZAR. Let him get his 40 games in WBS in and bring him up.

We need to get lucky and have injuries this year to bottom six players...so we can see others.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Pgh is out of the playoffs by a longshot? They are 6 points out of first place in the division with a game in hand.

Ha..I know

Think alot are forgetting how weird of a start it is to this sseason. With there being so much parity(parody) and every team within a point or two from eachother.

We stack some wins and are right back up there.

Like I said...lets see how they do now that Crosby, Pearson, and Brassard are all playing together. 5-1 was a good start.

8-8-4. Far from being out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad