Post-Game Talk: Pens/Stars: The stars came to play! As in the Sid/Geno, not Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Okay, Sully, you can log off now.

Boston is incredibly hurt. They were a one line team and just lost the lynch pin there and have one defenseman healthy.

Never really been impressed with Winnipeg. Especially with Myers in their top four. Also is typically a game our team gets up for.

CBJ is in the mold of the Western teams we have been beating.

Honestly, I think Colorado is the hardest out of the four.

With Crosby Brass and Malkin healthy I think we’ve won the last 6 games?

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I won't get too far up or down about this one. Obviously you love to see a win after such a long struggle and obviously you love to see your best players at a high level, especially a three point night from Crosby (loved the ultra-Crosby-ness of his goal, last night). On the other hand the Penguins do very well against Western teams, Dallas is badly wounded and the Penguins still aren't getting much help further down their lineup. Upcoming schedule, as noted, is brutal. Hopefully they build on this and at least go into the next game with some renewed confidence. But I'm not exactly ready to declare them fixed or anything close to it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I won't get too far up or down about this one. Obviously you love to see a win after such a long struggle and obviously you love to see your best players at a high level, especially a three point night from Crosby (loved the ultra-Crosby-ness of his goal, last night). On the other hand the Penguins do very well against Western teams, Dallas is badly wounded and the Penguins still aren't getting much help further down their lineup. Upcoming schedule, as noted, is brutal. Hopefully they build on this and at least go into the next game with some renewed confidence. But I'm not exactly ready to declare them fixed or anything close to it.

I think one of the reasons you get up is Brassard being in the line up equates to us regularly scoring 4+.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This team is so maddeningly inconsistent in nearly all facets outside of like three guys I choose not to correlate anything with anything, ATM.

That isn't a knock against Brassard. I'm just not going to throw a ticker tape parade for these guys until they can start beating some teams of consequence and actually establish that they are turning it around. This stretch will help solidify what we're actually looking at here, I think.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This team is so maddeningly inconsistent in nearly all facets outside of like three guys I choose not to correlate anything with anything, ATM.

That isn't a knock against Brassard. I'm just not going to throw a ticker tape parade for these guys until they can start beating some teams of consequence and actually establish that they are turning it around. This stretch will help solidify what we're actually looking at here, I think.

Having Crosby, Brassard and Schultz is significant to our chances.

People needed to acknowledge that more in regards to the losing streak. It is what is so frustrating about Sprong, Rust, Simon, and ZAR being so flat. One of those guys needs to step up in those injuries. Same with the D and the supporting cast just sucked.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well, of course. They are all terrific players. Even Schultz, in his own right.

But to my eyes there is still a hell of a lot of downward momentum to overcome. I know it's almost as eye-gougingly obnoxious as having to hear literally one more word about Daniel Sprong but the depth players and every defenseman not named Letang and Dumoulin need to do something... anything... to help get this team all pulling in the same direction. Though clearly, based on the last couple of seasons (and really much of the Penguins Experience the last however long)... unbelievable talent can simply will an entire roster to the post season sometimes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Just thought that I would point out that the Flames are first in the Pacific after thrashing the Jets last night.

Context is key, when the Pens beat the Flames, they were not in a good spot. Since then, they've had a lot of comeback wins and have put together a solid 10 games.

You forget, the Pens "western dominance swing" was 10+ games ago. A lot has changed since then, like us being last place for a bit.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Context is key, when the Pens beat the Flames, they were not in a good spot. Since then, they've had a lot of comeback wins and have put together a solid 10 games.

You forget, the Pens "western dominance swing" was 10+ games ago. A lot has changed since then, like us being last place for a bit.

I think we have to admit a lot of that is Sid, Brassard and Schultz taking a toll. If we got rolled twice tomorrow and Saturday let’s revisit.

People preached a lot about our depth this summer. It’s honestly been an even worse issue than last year. And that’s with Simon overachieving at least production wise.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think we have to admit a lot of that is Sid, Brassard and Schultz taking a toll. If we got rolled twice tomorrow and Saturday let’s revisit.

People preached a lot about our depth this summer. It’s honestly been an even worse issue than last year. And that’s with Simon overachieving at least production wise.

Last year was far worse when we started, roster wise.

You forget we had McKegg as a 3C/4C....this year is better, but then the wheels started to completely fall off with the coaching staff and properly utilizing the entire roster.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto were all well placed in their divisions though

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto were all well placed in their divisions though
That's besides the point, Toronto game was one where we had hoped the team finally figured out a full 60. But the ones against the Canucks and Oilers.

It's the Canucks and Oilers man, if you're going to pull my leg, pull the right one.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad