Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Tristan Jarry : 5.375 x 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I get that the market was on his side, but with all his faults he should have at least had to give up something (if we just had to keep him).

He should either be on a "prove it" deal, 1 or 2 years max, show us you can stay healthy and stop the puck in the playoffs.

Or at least knock something off the cap to make him moveable if he continues to get injured and struggle in the important games. I think I saw he has a 12 team no trade clause? That is absurd.
I'm guessing the ever-loyal penguins organization drafted him to 'be the guy' and have since stuck with that, for better or worse.
But to me, he isn't the guy, won't be the guy, can't be the guy... had a good solid stretch much like every other goalie in recent memory and bottomed out quickly. What gives with goalies in the NHL. So weird.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
I'm guessing the ever-loyal penguins organization drafted him to 'be the guy' and have since stuck with that, for better or worse.
But to me, he isn't the guy, won't be the guy, can't be the guy... had a good solid stretch much like every other goalie in recent memory and bottomed out quickly. What gives with goalies in the NHL. So weird.
the loyal organization of ownership that didnt own the team when he was drafted to a general manager who wasnt gm when he was drafted. sully wasnt even coach when he was drafted. i dunno, the institutional loyalty card here seems farfetched.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
the loyal organization of ownership that didnt own the team when he was drafted to a general manager who wasnt gm when he was drafted. sully wasnt even coach when he was drafted. i dunno, the institutional loyalty card here seems farfetched.
It does when you put the facts down like that. Those of which I haven't honestly even considered.
So I'll ask this, is anyone even remotely connected to Jarry and that whole 'drafted to be the guy' stuff, still connected to the organization?

add: Off the top of my head, 'the organization said it' so that is a burden the pittsburgh penguins carry regardless of who was helming the org... it's attached to the organization and not an individual. So they are going with that image of loyalty.
***guessing here***

Last edited:

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
For all we know he had this offer or something better from another team and the Pens offered him this contract.

Hazed Yoshi

Apr 13, 2023
If only Matt Murray was the franchise guy we thought he was after 2 Cups and a .930 season at age 22. Hadn't felt so confident in a goalie before or since (maybe Ron Tugnutt in 2000, lol)
You are not alone bud. I do not think many predicted what would have become of him would be the path he took after that. I do think the passing of his father definitely played a big role, also let's not forget, he did after all have Jack Johnson in front of him for a while...

Last edited:
Reactions: tom_servo

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Shooters are better, sticks are better for shooting, rule changes handcuff dmen, 5 on 3s, 4 on 4s, 5 on 4s 3 on 3s all game long. The powerplay league. Goaltenders nightmare. For a below average injury prone one like Jarry? That contract was a lottery win.
On the Bruins (and many other rosters Jarry would be a number three playing in the minors).
Dubass loves handing out other peoples money. Wants to be best friends with the players

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
After a season or two of watching post-sid we will all be welcoming death as opposed to watching penguin degenx v2
Aw..c'mon...it will be fun watching another Dick Tarnstrom lead the Team in points!

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I get that the market was on his side, but with all his faults he should have at least had to give up something (if we just had to keep him).

He should either be on a "prove it" deal, 1 or 2 years max, show us you can stay healthy and stop the puck in the playoffs.

Or at least knock something off the cap to make him moveable if he continues to get injured and struggle in the important games. I think I saw he has a 12 team no trade clause? That is absurd.
Dubas is like JR by overpaying free agents by 20%.

The Pens pretty much just gave up. No other way to justify this one. Dubas was bent over big time here. He’s like Oprah with contracts.

Reactions: Zbynek

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Let’s see, you are awful in the playoffs if you amyou aren’t injured and able to play, you are seemingly horrible every season after the all star game, and you are constantly injured. Dubas gives the guy a giant raise from his last contract and for 5 years. Surely, all of his problems will go away as he gets older.

Great move, Dubas. Put down the glasses.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Let’s see, you are awful in the playoffs if you amyou aren’t injured and able to play, you are seemingly horrible every season after the all star game, and you are constantly injured. Dubas gives the guy a giant raise from his last contract and for 5 years. Surely, all of his problems will go away as he gets older.

Great move, Dubas. Put down the glasses.
This move makes absolutely no sense. How the hell did it get negotiated, with the negotiation ending at 5 x $5.375??? It's painfully obvious Dubas put zero attention to the goalie situation while he fawned over Erik Karlsson.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
If Jarry is the most average starting goaltender to ever exist, I guess in the year 2023 that's worth about 5x5. I don't really hate the contract I just hate being locked into mediocrity.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
With this signing, I keep reminding myself the following:

* Injury-prone players are injury prone … until they aren’t.

* Guys who aren’t winners don’t win … until they do.

I’m not predicting that this will be a good deal for the team, but as one-time gimpy loser who is now just a loser, I’m not ruling it out.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

This iteration of the team has Sully's fingerprints all over it. They love their "home grown" players.

Take a look at Sully's pets who don't get demoted for poor performances. All are WBS players

-Jake
-Rust
-Murray was definitely in this boat too, until his body pretty much fell apart

Sully likes Jarry bc he knows if he gets inconsistent goaltending, he's got a scapegoat

I still cannot believe they gave him this contract.

Reactions: Pens x

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
It's one of the mysteries of the universe how Dubas has duped so many people into thinking he's some kind of genius. You would think he would have learned something after repeatedly getting his teeth rammed down his throat in failed contract negotiations that handcuffed the Leafs. But no, first contract for Pens and once again monstrous overpay. :laugh:

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
561EBCB5-4CBF-46CE-8B2C-1080CBF7C544.jpeg

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This move makes absolutely no sense. How the hell did it get negotiated, with the negotiation ending at 5 x $5.375??? It's painfully obvious Dubas put zero attention to the goalie situation while he fawned over Erik Karlsson.
This is what I’m afraid of. It reminds me of the Shero summer of Parise and Suter. Dude got sidetracked waiting on those guys to make a decision, neglected the rest of the roster.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You are not alone bud. I do not think many predicted what would have become of him would be the path he took after that. I do think the passing of his father definitely played a big role, also let's not forget, he did after all have Jack Johnson in front of him for a while...

Actually, I did, that stacked team pulled the wool over some peoples eyes, I warned it would/could be the case. The team was playing like a monster shot blocking machine, and then they took that away.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I remember a guy here gave a bit of statistical analysis showing that goalies with Murray's start busted as often as not. People hated him. He was right.

I do think Murray's lack of physical resiliency and the adjustment period after his dad dying had a lot to do with what happened to him next though. I'm not saying it's the only things but his short memory was his strongest point and that went missing a good bit after his dad died, and it's very hard to work on improving your craft when you're always injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad