Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Tristan Jarry : 5.375 x 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I remember a guy here gave a bit of statistical analysis showing that goalies with Murray's start busted as often as not. People hated him. He was right.

I do think Murray's lack of physical resiliency and the adjustment period after his dad dying had a lot to do with what happened to him next though. I'm not saying it's the only things but his short memory was his strongest point and that went missing a good bit after his dad died, and it's very hard to work on improving your craft when you're always injured.
He ended up being right, but not for the reasons he gave.

I don't think Murray's a good example of how "statistical analysis" can predict future success/failures because so much of Murray's downfall was due to an incredible amount of injuries.

If Murray had remained relatively injury-free (not any more so than your typical goalie) and his career went this way, *then* you could say that guy was right. But I think injuries (and the frequency of them) were 99.9% the reason for his career spiraling, and not some sort of "obvious sign" that was there when he was actually still good.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Jarry, with dauntless determination and unwavering resolve, has emerged as an embodiment of steadfastness and grace. That’s what Dubas sees and that’s what I see.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I remember a guy here gave a bit of statistical analysis showing that goalies with Murray's start busted as often as not. People hated him. He was right.

I do think Murray's lack of physical resiliency and the adjustment period after his dad dying had a lot to do with what happened to him next though. I'm not saying it's the only things but his short memory was his strongest point and that went missing a good bit after his dad died, and it's very hard to work on improving your craft when you're always injured.
His numbers started sliding before his dad died. That an easy, baseless excuse.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
His numbers started sliding before his dad died. That an easy, baseless excuse.
Murray had a .919 sv% in his 4th season with the Pens while only carrying a cap hit of $3.75M. The stat oracle was only using historical trends and there was nothing predictive about it. What he was foretelling was maybe one step above hockey astrology. Or maybe below?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He ended up being right, but not for the reasons he gave.

I don't think Murray's a good example of how "statistical analysis" can predict future success/failures because so much of Murray's downfall was due to an incredible amount of injuries.

If Murray had remained relatively injury-free (not any more so than your typical goalie) and his career went this way, *then* you could say that guy was right. But I think injuries (and the frequency of them) were 99.9% the reason for his career spiraling, and not some sort of "obvious sign" that was there when he was actually still good.

Fair. I think for me the point was he was right to raise doubts, even if they were maybe for the wrong reasons.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
what happens if jarry really does turn out to have a degenerative condition that precludes him playing in call it the final 2 years of this deal?

Hazed Yoshi

Apr 13, 2023
Actually, I did, that stacked team pulled the wool over some peoples eyes, I warned it would/could be the case. The team was playing like a monster shot blocking machine, and then they took that away.
Fair play to you. I was one of those who just simply thought Murray was on the road to becoming a super goaltender.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Fair play to you. I was one of those who just simply thought Murray was on the road to becoming a super goaltender.

It was a simple warning that he might only end up being no better than Fleury. In the moment terms were flying about him being a top 3 goalie. He never saw a season without defensive structure until later.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
4 years have passed, Pens still don't know whether Jarry is capable of winning a playoff game. How do you give out that kind of term? Dubas has proven over and over again that he's inept at assessing goalies

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
1e-z_U.gif

Me, every time this gets bumped and I'm reminded of Jarry's deal.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
4 years have passed, Pens still don't know whether Jarry is capable of winning a playoff game. How do you give out that kind of term? Dubas has proven over and over again that he's inept at assessing goalies

Because Dubas isn't capable of building a team to win playoff series. So his Jarry decision tracks.

Yep. Exactly. Dubas was quoted on theFAN as saying that the decision on Jarry came strongly from those already in the organization.

If so then what are we even doing here? Is this a horse designed by a committee situation? Pittsburgh Camels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad