Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Tristan Jarry : 5.375 x 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Lol, no dude. Jarry's not a winner, no matter how many words you try to justify it with. 3 rings wasn't bad for our trio but they deserved another.
No. No they didn't.

From the time they won the cup in 2017 they were dismantling what deserved another for the trio. Each and every season from there on they got further and further from deserving another.

Jarry was actually a winner, well before he was a Penguin.

I'm just gonna call it frustration and blind hate. Fleury was even worse than Jarry, but they stuck with him through the sludge. They did the same with Murray, but the team got worse, he wasn't insulated anymore.

That's the common ground with the goaltenders coming through here. No or lack of defensive awareness. Lack of the fine details, and of course their lack of will to get to the dirty areas and finish.

It's a team sport, and they all failed miserably.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
What other options did they have? If somebody was willing to pay this to Jarry in the open market (we should assume someone was), was else was GMKD to do? Make DeSmith or Nedeljkovic the starter? He was in a bad spot.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
What other options did they have? If somebody was willing to pay this to Jarry in the open market (we should assume someone was), was else was GMKD to do? Make DeSmith or Nedeljkovic the starter? He was in a bad spot.
When other goalies are moved later this offseason, will you admit this was a colossal eff up or will you go with hindsight is 20/20, how was Harry Potter to know what would happen in the future?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
After having a night to think about it, I'm still baffled why they went with 5 years. Even if Jarry was the only option this year, why not a shorter 2 year deal so you can re-assess next year or the year after?

This is the one signing I'm most displeased with. The others are kind of meh, but okay, whatever. This one bugs me.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Said it before, I'll say it again. We'll never win another playoff series as long as Mike Sullivan is the coach. Whatever. I only watched a handful of games last year. It'll be even less this year.
Guess you found a new team to root for right............. right?

The Day After…. Talking to sources on Bertuzzi, Tarasenko, Karlsson.
Talking it sources today and I am gathering a ton of info. So much happened yesterday, and so much didn’t happen as well! Following the Bertuzzi sweeps, Tarasenko, and of course m
Source: Eklund, Hey Guys & Gals Laffs are getting everyone with no cap room, Time to give them the SC

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
After having a night to think about it, I'm still baffled why they went with 5 years. Even if Jarry was the only option this year, why not a shorter 2 year deal so you can re-assess next year or the year after?

This is the one signing I'm most displeased with. The others are kind of meh, but okay, whatever. This one bugs me.
I would presume someone else was offering him 5 years and that was the only way they could keep him and have a starting goalie.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
When other goalies are moved later this offseason, will you admit this was a colossal eff up or will you go with hindsight is 20/20, how was Harry Potter to know what would happen in the future?
If we think there's going to be a big market for other goalies available then yeah, probably not the best term on this contract. If there are no other options out there and you miss on Jarry, then you have major issues.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Sign literally anyone else for 1 year (LA Kings..who will do better than us this year) and wait for the inevitable opening of a starter who's team is out of the running, who's star player got hurt and is on an expiring deal, who wants out...whatever. Every single NHL season there are players - goalies included - who change hands mid year.

You have no car... what else are you going to do but sign a 70,000 car loan at 15% interest? What else???? You have 82M in cap. Gotta spend to the max!! What if no players are available? Sign bottom 6ers to overpriced and term deals! Seriously any GM in any sport should be forced to complete logic exercises. Utter stupidity flowing ramapant in front offices. Cap space is king until you blow your wad on mediocrity. Now you're stuck with those undesirable players who have no trade value.

And even if you somehow like Jarry (maybe he's got family here who knows)....he has done nor shown ANYTHING deserving of either 5M or 5 years...let alone both. Who the F was Dubas bidding against? And why?

48 hours later this deal still frustrates the shit out of me. Add it to Sids early injuries on why we look back in 5 years and wonder how they didn't get another. Because we hitched our wagon to duds.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Sign literally anyone else for 1 year (LA Kings..who will do better than us this year) and wait for the inevitable opening of a starter who's team is out of the running, who's star player got hurt and is on an expiring deal, who wants out...whatever. Every single NHL season there are players - goalies included - who change hands mid year.

You have no car... what else are you going to do but sign a 70,000 car loan at 15% interest? What else???? You have 82M in cap. Gotta spend to the max!! What if no players are available? Sign bottom 6ers to overpriced and term deals! Seriously any GM in any sport should be forced to complete logic exercises. Utter stupidity flowing ramapant in front offices. Cap space is king until you blow your wad on mediocrity. Now you're stuck with those undesirable players who have no trade value.

And even if you somehow like Jarry (maybe he's got family here who knows)....he has done nor shown ANYTHING deserving of either 5M or 5 years...let alone both. Who the F was Dubas bidding against? And why?

48 hours later this deal still frustrates the shit out of me. Add it to Sids early injuries on why we look back in 5 years and wonder how they didn't get another. Because we hitched our wagon to duds.
Guess You have to follow the Kings Huh?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

My guess is someone, like Buffalo, made him a 5 year offer and we felt we had to match lol

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
I was hoping for a trade with Boston... Jarry coming back makes me more sad than the 400 or so 5th liners we signed.

LeSigh...

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Guess you found a new team to root for right............. right?

The Day After…. Talking to sources on Bertuzzi, Tarasenko, Karlsson.
Talking it sources today and I am gathering a ton of info. So much happened yesterday, and so much didn’t happen as well! Following the Bertuzzi sweeps, Tarasenko, and of course m
Source: Eklund, Hey Guys & Gals Laffs are getting everyone with no cap room, Time to give them the SC
Your source is Eklund? lol.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON

The best option out there to win the cup is Jarry. Just signing anybody doesn't cut it. There is a good chance Jarry wont cut it either, but to have any chance you need a goalie of his calibur and hope he puts it together and stay healthy. It is the only hope based on where Hextall left this team.

Last edited:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
The best option out there to win the cup is Jarry. Just signing anybody doesn't cut it. There is a good chance Jarry wont cut it either, but to have any chance you need a goalie if his calibur and hope he puts it together and stay healthy. It is the only hope based on where Hextall left this team.

This take only works if you believe his health is what has dictated his play - which isn't true.

He's had several stretches in Springtime forward at the NHL level where he's been terrible. He's also never shown he can steal the team a game if they're struggling offensively. He's already cost them a playoff series and performed mediocre in all clutch situations. In 8 playoff games he's had 1 where he was decent (literally an above 3 GAA playoff goalie). He frequently makes bad plays with the puck (highlighted briefly by the twitter parady earlier) and lets in backbreaking goals quite frequently - can't all be blamed on Dumo.

That's not "the best option to win the cup" - it's literally choosing a BAD option and HOPING it somehow turns out good. That's not how sound judgement is typically made. We're playing fantasy land here on hopes and dreams. Of course every single Pens fan WANTS him to be a winner but we literally just hitched a boat anchor contract to the dude after he hasn't shown a single ounce of high octane starter performance outside of mediocre runs in November/December.

These shoes have failed me time and again walking across the bed of nails. Those shoes over there the jury is out on. I'll keep the shoes I'm wearing for $500. You sure? The shoes over there are $150 and might give you the same, OR better results? Nah I'll stick with the $500 shoes that have always failed me. Maybe they won't next time. Didn't a smart person once define insanity on these premises?

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Sorry, I’ll join the rest of you and bury my head in the sand, pretend Dubas did a good job because he wears big glasses. Analytics and stuff!

I know the off-season isn’t over, but damn, yesterday was disappointing. And I don’t want to hear that he did better than Hextall would have, because Hextall was awful at his job.
I agree 100%.

Horrible grammar, terrible take but I'm sure you'll just laugh away like the b**** you are 🤣
You mad big guy?

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Guess You have to follow the Kings Huh?
I mean.. The Penguins are my favorite hockey team.

But i follow (somewhat more closely than the entire league in general) and derive enjoyment from three different teams.

I guess you'll have to blindly put faith in your one hockey team and pretend they can do no wrong to justify your own feeling of pride in your empty life now, huh?

See how dumb the essence of your comment sounds?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Call me skeptical, or overly pessimistic, but I'm not a fan of shrugging and saying Jarry's the best option. He's injury prone, he's inconsistent as hell, and the one playoff appearance he made, he shit the bed against the Isles as badly as MAF ever did during his stretch of laughable play from like 2012 or so. :laugh:

But it is what it is. I hope he suddenly finds a way to be durable, consistent, and maybe most of all, able to make the timely, big stop when needed. Dude's the antithesis of clutch.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
The one note I remember being sketched out about after last season was that Jarry's injury issues couldn't be solved with surgery.

I hope we didn't just hitch our wagon to a goalie with chronic back problems.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This all boiled down to Dubas being unwilling to part with assets in the trade market for a goalie. Coming in as an outsider, I can see the perspective that Jarry is overhated. Statistically he has been good to very good. But I'm a big Jarry fan and even I think a change was warranted here.

Our team would be better today if we had done Vejmelka + Schmaltz for Granlund, Pickering and our 2024 1st. Then we could have done everything else we did yesterday except we wouldn't have needed to get Eller. Could have re-signed Zucker or signed Bunting instead.

Reactions: Zbynek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad