Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Tristan Jarry : 5.375 x 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not saying this to defend the signing. This is more my own attempt at optimism, I suppose.

The team in front of Jarry should be better defensively. If they are, that will help Jarry's stats improve as well.

Okay, that's really all I got.

(Oh, how's this for pure optimism? Dubas brought in enough defensive centers that Carter could be scratched. Okay, I know that won't happen, but it at least theoretically could).

• Love
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I'm not saying this to defend the signing. This is more my own attempt at optimism, I suppose.

The team in front of Jarry should be better defensively. If they are, that will help Jarry's stats improve as well.

Okay, that's really all I got.

(Oh, how's this for pure optimism? Dubas brought in enough defensive centers that Carter could be scratched. Okay, I know that won't happen, but it at least theoretically could).
Yea, and also we're gonna ship out Petts and bring in Karlsson, which will help Jarry out even more. I read on HFBoards that will help our transition game and make us better, so this signing? Pretty much moot at that point.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
my my, how fast athletes fall in the sports world.
Jarry is one unpopular guy.

IF YOU, were GM... would you:
A- spend 5 mil on a defensive bolster - go with CDS / that other guy
B- spend 5 mil on a goalie that is a liability. Not just positionally liability, but health and physical liability.

I would A all day long every day all day any day.
I hate this signing so much I can't express how much I hate it.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Yeah, it's too long and too much but let's try to be objective. If....big ****ing if I know....IF he's healthy and in form he's in the B tier of starting goalies. I suspect what happened is that an already thin goalie market started to dry up and there were no trades that made sense so Dubas knee-jerked a bit and probably caved more than he would have otherwise to the player demands.

There's a lot of questions around Jarry he will need to answer but the more I try to objectively think about it the more I'm not happy, but more okay than I initially was with the contract. I think I'm more on board with Jarry at these numbers than spending assets and the associated AAV would be if we traded for Gibson, for example.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Glad we got 3 Cups with this core. :yo:

Because now aren’t winning shit for a long long long time if ever again… in our lifetimes….
Speak for yourself!
=P

Nah... I don't mind dying, as long it is not some brutal tortuous process -- ie, burning, mob gets me etc etc...

After a season or two of watching post-sid we will all be welcoming death as opposed to watching penguin degenx v2

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, it's too long and too much but let's try to be objective. If....big ****ing if I know....IF he's healthy and in form he's in the B tier of starting goalies. I suspect what happened is that an already thin goalie market started to dry up and there were no trades that made sense so Dubas knee-jerked a bit and probably caved more than he would have otherwise to the player demands.

There's a lot of questions around Jarry he will need to answer but the more I try to objectively think about it the more I'm not happy, but more okay than I initially was with the contract. I think I'm more on board with Jarry at these numbers than spending assets and the associated AAV would be if we traded for Gibson, for example.
I mostly agree until I consider that Helle and Ullmark/Swayman are still out there, goalies which could have given Penguins a fighting chance or at least stolen games for us, if we had shelled out the assets to acquire them.

Otherwise any excitement I get from the Smith/Graves deals just feels cancelled out by Jarry. But go all in, take the full measure approach on a Vezina guy and it's a different story.

Sweet Morningrise avatar btw.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Just came here to say; I don't think it's that bad a contract, contextually speaking relative to the players ability and the market. I'm voting for Jarry will be just fine.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Speak for yourself!
=P

Nah... I don't mind dying, as long it is not some brutal tortuous process -- ie, burning, mob gets me etc etc...

After a season or two of watching post-sid we will all be welcoming death as opposed to watching penguin degenx v2

It would be v3 as v1 happened in the early 80's.

Reactions: LOGiK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Speak for yourself!
=P

What do you mean post-Sid? I’ll be dying alive watching Sullivan hockey with the team as currently constructed lol…

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
my my, how fast athletes fall in the sports world.
Jarry is one unpopular guy.

IF YOU, were GM... would you:
A- spend 5 mil on a defensive bolster - go with CDS / that other guy
B- spend 5 mil on a goalie that is a liability. Not just positionally liability, but health and physical liability.

I would A all day long every day all day any day.
I hate this signing so much I can't express how much I hate it.
im going with Option C) Completely ignore the situation and go EK65 hunting instead. Norris trophy baby!

4 days later, I hate this contract even more. I thought after it simmered a bit, I would be less mad...but alas, I am MORE mad now than July 1st.
It's coming in waves for me

Reactions: LOGiK

Sideline

May 23, 2004
4 days later, I hate this contract even more. I thought after it simmered a bit, I would be less mad...but alas, I am MORE mad now than July 1st.
My original reaction was "woof"

I am now at the blindly optimistic stage of off season analysis and still not feeling great about this one. Jarry getting more durable as he ages seems like a really dangerous gamble.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I get that the market was on his side, but with all his faults he should have at least had to give up something (if we just had to keep him).

He should either be on a "prove it" deal, 1 or 2 years max, show us you can stay healthy and stop the puck in the playoffs.

Or at least knock something off the cap to make him moveable if he continues to get injured and struggle in the important games. I think I saw he has a 12 team no trade clause? That is absurd.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
hate it, there is a chance it works out and Jarry finally stays healthy and plays well. but I soured on him years ago, his comments to the press this last go around really was telling to me.
Sure, injuries *were* a factor. But he played the injury card to the press way to easily. He needs a new goalie coach imo. Or a sports shrink or something.

That said, it's proven that Jarry can't be a work horse and stay healthy. So get a 1B that can soak up starts and also push Jarry. I have no idea who you are getting that's cheap and capable of that but there ya go...

Hazed Yoshi

Apr 13, 2023
This all boiled down to Dubas being unwilling to part with assets in the trade market for a goalie. Coming in as an outsider, I can see the perspective that Jarry is overhated. Statistically he has been good to very good. But I'm a big Jarry fan and even I think a change was warranted here.
I got hella respect for ya if that's the case as I don't see how anyone could ever be a fan of this guy..

The deal they gave him is april fools like level stuff...

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I got hella respect for ya if that's the case as I don't see how anyone could ever be a fan of this guy..

The deal they gave him is april fools like level.

I got hella respect for the Hazed Yoshi name, which is hilarious. Hazed as in stoned or as in "got hazed at a frat?"

• Haha
Reactions: Hazed Yoshi

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
What do you mean post-Sid? I’ll be dying alive watching Sullivan hockey with the team as currently constructed lol…
Truth. But if you think _this_ is bad....
Hold on to your butts people :wg:

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad