Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Tristan Jarry : 5.375 x 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Can’t wait to see what the excuse is when he craps the bed after the all-star game and/or is injured for 80% of the final stretch yet again.

But…but…his save % before February!!!!!

So what if he loses the last dozen important games - he averaged over 900 for the year.

A+ on all his homework and D's on all his tests.

Good thing hockey only cares about your body of work over X time and not critical moments and individual games. Hmm

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like how people here think games at the end of the year matter but games early in the year don't matter. The 2 points they get when Jarry's putting up a .930 save% in the first half of the season absolutely matters, even though you just want to bitch and moan about "he's only okay to end the season!!!".

Some of you have really shown you never lived though the Sebastian Caron days when you bitch about Jarry like this. At least half of the league would take Jarry over their current starter right now, his problem of "elite in the first half in the year and only okay to end the year" is better than a vast majority of starters in the NHL today.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I like how people here think games at the end of the year matter but games early in the year don't matter. The 2 points they get when Jarry's putting up a .930 save% in the first half of the season absolutely matters, even though you just want to bitch and moan about "he's only okay to end the season!!!".

Some of you have really shown you never lived though the Sebastian Caron days when you bitch about Jarry like this. At least half of the league would take Jarry over their current starter right now, his problem of "elite in the first half in the year and only okay to end the year" is better than a vast majority of starters in the NHL today.

facepalm-really.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

BOS - Nope
TOR - Nope
OTT - Sure
FLA - Nope
TAMPA - Nope
DET - Maybe
BUF - Nope

PHI - Nope
NYR - Nope
NYI - Nope
CAR - Nope
CBUS - Sure
NJ - Maybe

Don't feel like doing the other conference, but I gotta disagree with this.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
BOS - Nope
TOR - Nope
OTT - Sure
FLA - Nope
TAMPA - Nope
DET - Maybe
BUF - Nope

PHI - Nope
NYR - Nope
NYI - Nope
CAR - Nope
CBUS - Sure
NJ - Maybe

Nah NJ is young and trying to compete for a cup.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
BOS - Nope
TOR - Nope
OTT - Sure
FLA - Nope
TAMPA - Nope
DET - Maybe
BUF - Nope

PHI - Nope
NYR - Nope
NYI - Nope
CAR - Nope
CBUS - Sure
NJ - Maybe

I’m gonna use this space to summarize Emp’s future response to this:

Emp points out like two teams on that 15 team list that he disagrees with you about, posts a bunch of hot air, and nobody really cares.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
BOS - Nope
TOR - Nope
OTT - Sure
FLA - Nope
TAMPA - Nope
DET - Maybe
BUF - Nope

PHI - Nope
NYR - Nope
NYI - Nope
CAR - Nope
CBUS - Sure
NJ - Maybe

Well that's because you regularly have bad opinions.

The polls section had Jarry ranked #9 among starters in the NHL.

Amazing rebuttal, you've convinced me!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well that's because you regularly have bad opinions.

The polls section had Jarry ranked #9 among starters in the NHL.

Amazing rebuttal, you've convinced me!

Remember what happened last time we did this?

Happy to go this route again if you'd like..

Reactions: Night Shift

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
You know how I know you guys are idiots? You don’t agree with an HF poll

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Remember what happened last time we did this?

Happy to go this route again if you'd like..

There already was a poll on it:

Jarry came in at #9. The only starters from the East that ranked above him were Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Sorokin and Ullmark.

But yes, go make a poll on the main board for Jarry vs Husso. Please, I beg of you to go make that poll.

As of #15, the starters for Carolina, Detroit, Montreal, New Jersey, Philly, Toronto and Buffalo have not gone yet. You said no to Jarry over Philly, Toronto, Carolina and Buffalo and maybe to Detroit and New Jersey. All of them are clearly falling below Jarry in that poll.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Let's just do the stats in the last 3 years, so we'll cut off Jarry's .921 save% in 2019-2020.

Jarry: .913 save% in 144 games
Husso: .904 save% in 113 games
Samsonov: .907 save% in 105 games
Andersen: .911 save% in 110 games
Hart: .900 save% in 127 games (granted his .877 save% in 27 games in 2020-2021 really hurts him)
Vanecek: .909 save% in 131 games

So Jarry has played in more games and has a better save% than every other goalie listed, but somehow all of those other guys are better than Jarry? Fabulous logic.

It's even funnier to say that New Jersey wouldn't take Jarry over Vanecek. You want to go look at Vanecek's playoff track record? Here you go:

vanecek.PNG

Or how about we post Samsonov's playoff track record instead:

Samsonov.PNG

Even the reigning Vezina winner that I really wanted this off-season in Ullmark has performance issues in the playoffs:

Ullmark.PNG

Look, Jarry has his problems for sure. He has been a playoff failure dating back to juniors and he has shown a serious issue with his body and game falling apart the deeper into the season the games get. But have some freaking perspective on what other goalies are doing in the NHL instead of acting like Jarry is cancer on ice. Even with his flaws, Jarry is an above average starting goalie. That's a fact. Want to say they should have gone another direction? Want to criticize Jarry for his seeming inability to shoulder blame for his play while he has regularly struggled down the stretch? That is all fair game. But at least try to base the discussion in reality, for the sake of this website.

Unless your team has a goalie named Sorokin, Shesterkin, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy or Saros, you goalie has some sort of problem.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
So if this poll is be all, end all, I will argue that Injarry is not a fit in this organization and would be best to thrive elsewhere.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So if this poll is be all, end all, I will argue that Injarry is not a fit in this organization and would be best to thrive elsewhere.

That's fine, that's my point :laugh:

I don't mean this to say "you have to like Jarry because Jarry is good". I'm just saying don't say Jarry sucks because he objectively doesn't suck. You can totally argue you wanted to go a different direction for whatever reason you wanted. There are plenty of reasons to name between his injury history, consistently declining play later in the season, poor playoff performances and his inability to take responsibility for his play.

But even with all of those, he's still a good starter. There are only 5 goalies in the NHL who do not have some sort of issue or issues like that.

It's the same kind of concept as keeping Zucker last off-season. He was a very good player last year for the team, but I had no interest in keeping him for a variety of reasons (mostly because I think he's injury prone and he'll massively regress due to injuries). But I'm not here saying "Zucker sucks ass", I just didn't want him back.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
That's fine, that's my point :laugh:

I don't mean this to say "you have to like Jarry because Jarry is good". I'm just saying don't say Jarry sucks because he objectively doesn't suck. You can totally argue you wanted to go a different direction for whatever reason you wanted. There are plenty of reasons to name between his injury history, consistently declining play later in the season, poor playoff performances and his inability to take responsibility for his play.

But even with all of those, he's still a good starter. There are only 5 goalies in the NHL who do not have some sort of issue or issues like that.

It's the same kind of concept as keeping Zucker last off-season. He was a very good player last year for the team, but I had no interest in keeping him for a variety of reasons (mostly because I think he's injury prone and he'll massively regress due to injuries). But I'm not here saying "Zucker sucks ass", I just didn't want him back.

I can get behind what you are saying here, his stats are impressive certain portions of the season when he is on. But if there is any last hope of a strong playoff run left with this team, he has proven over the years he's not a fit. (That's my main argument) I'll gladly eat Crow if he can put it together at the end of the year.

I wouldn't bet on it, however if he starts sliding and playing goofy as this contract carries on, heck the injuries themselves will help us get some decent picks in the near future I think.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can get behind what you are saying here, his stats are impressive certain portions of the season when he is on. But if there is any last hope of a strong playoff run left with this team, he has proven over the years he's not a fit. (That's my main argument) I'll gladly eat Crow if he can put it together at the end of the year.

I wouldn't bet on it, however if he starts sliding and playing goofy as this contract carries on, heck the injuries themselves will help us get some decent picks in the near future I think.

Yeah that's totally valid and legitimate. I think his playoff resume the worst part with him, because he has generally sucked in the playoffs in all of the WHL, AHL and NHL.

I just don't think people should be saying he sucks is all. He's a flawed goalie but the only chance they had at getting a non-flawed goalie was trading for Hellebuyck. Which at this point I'm debating if they should have done, with how the Karlsson talks seem to be going.

Would you rather have Jarry in net and Karlsson on defense or Hellebuyck in net or Petry on defense? The longer this Karlsson saga drags on, the more I feel like I like #2 more.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Yeah that's totally valid and legitimate. I think his playoff resume the worst part with him, because he has generally sucked in the playoffs in all of the WHL, AHL and NHL.

I just don't think people should be saying he sucks is all. He's a flawed goalie but the only chance they had at getting a non-flawed goalie was trading for Hellebuyck. Which at this point I'm debating if they should have done, with how the Karlsson talks seem to be going.

Would you rather have Jarry in net and Karlsson on defense or Hellebuyck in net or Petry on defense? The longer this Karlsson saga drags on, the more I feel like I like #2 more.

I would have traded for Hellebuyck, or even Gibson ffs over EK. It's not because I don't want EK, it's that I thought this team needed 2 new faces (someone to replace DeSmith) at the goalie position more than they needed an older EK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad