Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Jay McClement to a tryout contract

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I would have rather signed Ryan White or Joseph Cramarossa (speed factor) to a PTO, but I do not have any objections to this signing. Is McClement is a shell of his days on the Blues/Leafs? Sure. However, he is still a relatively sufficient penalty-killer and shutdown forward. He occupies leadership qualities - which is not longer a commodity with Cullen, Kunitz, and Daley opting to sign elsewhere.

While Cromorossa could be a good NHLer, you countered your own point... I think the Penguins were looking to replace some of the leadership that was lost with the guys you named leaving. We don't need any more fast mid-20-somethings in the team, we gotta replace some of that veteranship and need a proven shut-down in the bottom 6.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'd say there is a very good chance that Guentzel outscores Duchene next season.

I'd say there is more than a very good chance. I'd say it would be an upset if Duchene outscores Guentzel in 2017-18.

As for McClement, I think he is merely competition to make sure Rowney does not get complacent. McClement cannot play above the fourth line, and we all expect a #3 center to come on board before opening night, so basically McClement will be competing with Rowney and a few others. I doubt McClement gets signed, to be honest. But, maybe he signs with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton as insurance. Or maybe Rowney will be packaged in the deal to get a #3 center. I just don't see a scenario where Rowney and McClement round out our center group. It wouldn't last more than a month if that were the case.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd say there is more than a very good chance. I'd say it would be an upset if Duchene outscores Guentzel in 2017-18.

As for McClement, I think he is merely competition to make sure Rowney does not get complacent. McClement cannot play above the fourth line, and we all expect a #3 center to come on board before opening night, so basically McClement will be competing with Rowney and a few others. I doubt McClement gets signed, to be honest. But, maybe he signs with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton as insurance. Or maybe Rowney will be packaged in the deal to get a #3 center. I just don't see a scenario where Rowney and McClement round out our center group. It wouldn't last more than a month if that were the case.

How many points do you expect from Jake? If Duchene gets moved to a team that isn't depressing as hell, I expect him to put up 60+ points. Do you expect Jake to top that? He certainly could, but I'm not sure I'd call it a guarantee.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I liked what Yohe and Gajtka said about it in thier morning java piece:

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/...alk-novas-woes-penguins-new-center-big-fight/

-he can kill penalites
-atm bones, cullen, kunitz...all gone
-does that mean he has a chance to make the team? ... Maybe.
-we'll see what kinda form he is in, in training camp...who's healthy, who isn't
-he doesn't bring much offensively, little Adams in him. One of those guys, kind of a plugger
-don't see him as a guy they want in the lineup come April but is he a guy that can fill in on the 4th line in Oct/Nov...respected veteran who's worn the "A" in several org...yea, we'll see
-no harm in it for the Pens. legitimate body to kill penalties if it's needed

They brought up a great point about guys currently on the roster who could see elevated roles on the PK. Rust, was an easy one who wasn't used much last season. And they mentioned Kuhn who fell out of favor a bit last year, has an opportunity to get back in favor with a strong training camp and his ability to PK.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
As for McClement, I think he is merely competition to make sure Rowney does not get complacent.

I give you credit, I've never heard someone that believes a guy like Carter Rowney could be complacent.

How could someone think he's complacent? Is it his vast experience of 47 games (playoffs and regular season combined) he's played? What about not scoring a point in 19 of 20 playoff games? Getting his first taste of the NHL at 27 years old. Does that make someone complacent?

He's an insurance policy that could potentially make this team. If Jimmy doesn't make a trade there is a good chance he makes the team. But thank god we didn't hurt Matt Cullen's feelings and gave him all summer to contemplate retirement. I'm just relieved that Cullen is happy and we now have the worst third and fourth line centers in the league.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
They brought up a great point about guys currently on the roster who could see elevated roles on the PK. Rust, was an easy one who wasn't used much last season. And they mentioned Kuhn who fell out of favor a bit last year, has an opportunity to get back in favor with a strong training camp and his ability to PK.

The PK point is an interesting one, especially now we've added Reaves who obviously wont be PKing.

Hagelin, Rowney, Rust, Wilson and Kuhnhackl are probably the PKers. Will see a lot more Sid out there for Faceoffs.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
The PK point is an interesting one, especially now we've added Reaves who obviously wont be PKing.

Hagelin, Rowney, Rust, Wilson and Kuhnhackl are probably the PKers. Will see a lot more Sid out there for Faceoffs.

Did Archibald PK in the AHL? I think he could be a candidate too

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think so, I think him and Kuhn are competing for the same spot though.

I think you have Kuhnhackl, Archibald, and Wilson all competing for the same spot, all the while holding off ZAR and Sprong in the AHL.

Should be good competition.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
He sure is. It was a meme that I de-memed:

gNVkN.jpg

LMAO

A) I've never seen that before and
B) Everyone panic!

C) Or you could just see this for what it is and let the thread give you a laugh.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
While Cromorossa could be a good NHLer, you countered your own point... I think the Penguins were looking to replace some of the leadership that was lost with the guys you named leaving. We don't need any more fast mid-20-somethings in the team, we gotta replace some of that veteranship and need a proven shut-down in the bottom 6.

LOL. Crosby, Malkin and Letang are 30 with three cups between them.

We do not need vet depth like McClement anymore. He's getting a PTO because our huge lack of centers.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
I see tanner glass if going to Calgary on a PTO. That's too bad, I was hoping JR would bring him back to Pitt for some speed and grittiness in the bottom six. Plus he can move up the lineup when needed.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
How many points do you expect from Jake? If Duchene gets moved to a team that isn't depressing as hell, I expect him to put up 60+ points. Do you expect Jake to top that? He certainly could, but I'm not sure I'd call it a guarantee.

Duchene may actually score more in Colorado than if traded. I strongly believe his offense dries up when given added center responsibilities. A lot of the teams who want him need him to center a shutdown line or provide Patrice Bergeron-type play. That could hinder him offensively.

I have always believed Duchene was a much better winger than center, from a points standpoint.

I give you credit, I've never heard someone that believes a guy like Carter Rowney could be complacent.

How could someone think he's complacent? Is it his vast experience of 47 games (playoffs and regular season combined) he's played? What about not scoring a point in 19 of 20 playoff games? Getting his first taste of the NHL at 27 years old. Does that make someone complacent?

He's an insurance policy that could potentially make this team. If Jimmy doesn't make a trade there is a good chance he makes the team. But thank god we didn't hurt Matt Cullen's feelings and gave him all summer to contemplate retirement. I'm just relieved that Cullen is happy and we now have the worst third and fourth line centers in the league.

Relax. I never said Carter Rowney WAS complacent. I said adding McClement eliminates any thoughts in Rowney's head that he has this team made even before training camp begins.

To me it is a smart move because you never want the bottom six to feel totally comfortable with their roster spots, especially for a team like ours that need to keep the cheapest fourth line possible under the cap.

Also, why don't you wait until JR is finished shopping before you declare that we have the worst anything in the league?

Even with "the worst third and fourth line centers in the league", our center situation is probably top 10.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jay can still skate, still is an above 50% faceoff guy, plays a ton of PK minutes and he can still chip in here and there offensively, I think the last part is the key thing about him. With better line-mates and a different system, I think we can see 25~ points out of him.

There were times he was with Skinner and he looked good on those shifts, scored some nice goals, but then he was back to his 4th line role and was playing the old school traditional 4th line role - of which does not exist in Pittsburgh.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Jay can still skate, still is an above 50% faceoff guy, plays a ton of PK minutes and he can still chip in here and there offensively, I think the last part is the key thing about him. With better line-mates and a different system, I think we can see 25~ points out of him.

There were times he was with Skinner and he looked good on those shifts, scored some nice goals, but then he was back to his 4th line role and was playing the old school traditional 4th line role - of which does not exist in Pittsburgh.

We can see 25 points out of him? Are you serious?

He hasn't put up 25+ points since 2009-2010 and will be playing with Mr. 13 points Reaves (who is supposedly supposed to increase his scoring here) and either Wilson, Archie, or Rowney.

If McClement is here, he is playing a 4C role and will put up 15ish points.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

I actually don't know if you are trolling or if you are serious. I hope, for your sake, you are just messing with everyone. If the season started today, his line-mates would be awful. Why would his production increase in Pittsburgh?

If half of what you said was true why has no team shown any interest in him besides the center deprived Penguins?

Let me save you the time in answering and replying to your next post when you will ask: How do you know no team has had any interest!?!? Maybe he wanted to play with Jimmy and Carter Rowney! He could have had a handshake agreement with Jimmy for all you know!!

Because he agreed to a tryout here.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Any young guy (Teddy,Rowney,Johnson)from our prospect pool is a better option than Mcclement. He's done as a player. Zero usefulness out of him. Many better PTO options too.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You guys are too wound up.

Jay isn't going to crack the roster, at best he'll either sign a 2-way contract for depth for the 4C or he does well enough to earn a contract with another team.

25pts, lol, I like how that triggered so many. I like him at camp, I like him as 2-way contract depth, but I do not want to see Rowney as the 3C and him as the 4C if we are to see this team seriously be a three-peat contender.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
If, for whatever reason, McClement is offered a contract then we should probably expect Rowney to be our 3C. There's no need to have McClement in our lineup taking up a roster spot and exposing someone to waivers, plus his cap-hit (even though it's likely to be pretty low) if Rowney is available to be our 4C. We don't need competition for our fourth line center. And I cringe at the thought of McClement being our 4C more than I do Rowney being our 3C.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If, for whatever reason, McClement is offered a contract then we should probably expect Rowney to be our 3C. There's no need to have McClement in our lineup taking up a roster spot and exposing someone to waivers, plus his cap-hit (even though it's likely to be pretty low) if Rowney is available to be our 4C. We don't need competition for our fourth line center. And I cringe at the thought of McClement being our 4C more than I do Rowney being our 3C.

I don't think it'll come to that. In camp, teams figure out who they want and who fits where, you also get a shot at some waiver wire folks that may fit better than some geriatric 4th liner that barely produces 10pts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad