Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Jay McClement to a tryout contract

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd say he's at least as good as Desharnais, but that may be heresy.

I won't claim an avy bet win over it, just to be fair. ;)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If he signs I suppose it qualifies haha

Nope. I think we'll do better. Hubris activated.

And now the leather-covered sphere came hurtling through the air,
and Casey stood a-watching it in haughty grandeur there.
Close by the sturdy batsman the ball unheeded sped--
"That ain't my style," said Casey. "Strike one," the umpire said.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
What a paradox. You know how McClement became a known quantity? His team didnt keep sending him outta the NHL because there were other players with more experience. How can you know how [insert player name here] is, if you dont...You know..play them?

Sorry, but this team is a contender and I don't want some 28 year old never has been AHL player to be given 30 games this season based on a meaningless preseason. Let him play when injuries occur.

I mean the drop off from Cullen to McClement is going to be extreme. Is McClement an ideal 4C? No. But if Rutherford can acquire a good 3C then I'm fine with it.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't have high hopes for this guy but competition is never a bad thing, especially for fringe guys like Rowney.

AltDess

Jun 19, 2009
52.2% career in the dot and basically logged most shorthanded time in the league hopefully he makes it because now with Cullen gone (and Sutter before him) they definitely need someone to take Evgeni Malkin's defensive zone faceoffs.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So, he is going to cost a million if he signs and any complaints about spending a million dollars on a 4C would be redundant, correct?

Spending $1 million on a fourth line center is fine but spending $1 mill on Jay McClement is a Ray Shero type move.

And before I get attacked, I said I would take McClement over Rowney if we acquired a good 3C. I have a feeling this signing was more than just a warm body for camp move.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd say he's at least as good as Desharnais, but that may be heresy.

I won't claim an avy bet win over it, just to be fair. ;)

I feel like this is a joke, and obviously they are used in different roles, but don't you feel like Desharnais better suits our uptempo system?

Like, McClement is better than Downey because he is a natural center who has proved his worth as a face off / PKer, but if you're going to cite Rutherford's analysis that anyone can do that wouldn't you want the center that put up 14 in 50 with Bonino like face off numbers over the center that put up 19 in 142?

Like which one is more likely to be Bonino / Cullen and which one is more like to be Craig Adams 2.0?

And I like McClement, it is just the exact type of center I figured we'd bring in because we sat around waiting for Cullen and it is kind of a joke as back to back champs.

PensWin87

Aug 8, 2017
So, he is going to cost a million if he signs and any complaints about spending a million dollars on a 4C would be redundant, correct?

League minimum and that cap hit goes away if he goes on waivers and gets sent down to the AHL

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Please stop typing out the name Desharnais.
He's not a JR player, he's not a Sully player.
He doesn't fit what they're trying to do at all.
He's soft as baby poop.
Just stop it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What's funny about this is that I literally said they should invite him to camp at least.

He's good competition to see where Rowney really fits, if Rowney vastly out plays him, and he should by all accounts of Jay's play last year, then I feel better knowing he can potentially handle the 3C/4C role quite well.

All jokes aside, I would bring in Jay for the sole purpose of battling for the 4th line C with Rowney.

Why?

Faceoff % by Tenure with Teams:

Carolina - 53.7%
Toronto - 53.2%
Colorado - 51.6%
St.Louis - 50.8%

He's a good insurance policy and hell, at maybe around 800k, if you demote him, he's not a bad guy to have around near the playoffs when you need more faceoff guys. He can still skate, produces like a half decent 4th liner (Not Cullen #'s). Even if he goes unsigned, a camp invite for sure. I like Rowney and his gumption, but he isn't nearly as good as Cullen on Faceoff's.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=134912145&postcount=972

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Fine with it. Nothing wrong with competition in training camp. He's also good at faceoffs which this team needs.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
i bet he makes the team cause he's good on faceoffs and can pk. he brings little offense and his advanced stats are ****. so.....:dunno:

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Mcclement is good at face offs. That's pretty much it. I know this is just a PTO, but we have better options in house.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Garbage player.. May make the team due to our awful center depth :shakehead he's good at faceoffs and can PK.. Which I'm surprised are still looked at as skills. Anyone can PK, and using a roster spot on a player just because he can block shots on a pk and win half his faceoffs is a terrible thing. He's a liability at 5v5

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He's good competition to see where Rowney really fits, if Rowney vastly out plays him, and he should by all accounts of Jay's play last year, then I feel better knowing he can potentially handle the 3C/4C role quite well.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=134912145&postcount=972

Outplaying Jay friggin McClement is about as impressive as running faster than a kid at fat camp. But I guess if Rowney plays worse than JM he should be banished from the league. So there's that...

What about all of those potential trades Jimmy has ready to go?

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not going to read too much into this. It's just a try out and we need centers in camp just to fill out the roster. I think a proven vet battling with Rowney is good for him anyway.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Outplaying Jay friggin McClement is about as impressive as running faster than a kid at fat camp. But I guess if Rowney plays worse than JM he should be banished from the league. So there's that...

What about all of those potential trades Jimmy has ready to go?

The thing about potential trades is that you don't know about them until they're done despite thousands of keystrokes and pages of posturing, and there's still well over a month before the season starts for the only one we need to materialize. The GM outlines his targets and fallbacks plan at every opportunity, and a depth PTO doesn't change boo.

What people should have learned from this signing is that it's painfully easy to get a Desharnais-calibre center for absolutely nothing. We don't need to pay one a million dollars...hell, we don't even need to commit a salary at all. Waiting on Cullen gave us an opportunity at a great 4th line center and didn't cost us a single thing.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think we got to remember that the pens lost 4 centers(maybe more that's all i remember) from their organization in the off season

Bonino
Cullen
Sunny
Porter

The pens need warm bodies at center to just get through camp, especially with Sid and Geno unlikely to play in many preseason games.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Waiting on Cullen gave us an opportunity at a great 4th line center and didn't cost us a single thing.

Congratulations on being the first person in history to use the word great in describing Jay McClement. Waiting 2 months to address your obvious needs is what leads you to sign McClement. If he's such a great player, why was he still a free agent until the end of August?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't know how many centers they need at camp, but they have plenty to play preseason games assuming Sid and Geno don't even touch the ice. They have seven centers competing for one fourth line spot, I hope (please trade for a 3C)
Rowney, McGregg, Dea, diPauli, Johnson, Blueger and Simon. If they're bringing in this guy, they are worried. Can't see the move as anything else

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Congratulations on being the first person in history to use the word great in describing Jay McClement. Waiting 2 months to address your obvious needs is what leads you to sign McClement. If he's such a great player, why was he still a free agent until the end of August?

Congratulations on misinterpreting what I wrote. Read it again slowly and see if I might be referring to someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad