Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Jay McClement to a tryout contract

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It's still up there guys...It's not falling...

blue-clouds-day-fluffy-53594.jpeg

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If, for whatever reason, McClement is offered a contract then we should probably expect Rowney to be our 3C. There's no need to have McClement in our lineup taking up a roster spot and exposing someone to waivers, plus his cap-hit (even though it's likely to be pretty low) if Rowney is available to be our 4C. We don't need competition for our fourth line center. And I cringe at the thought of McClement being our 4C more than I do Rowney being our 3C.

I think it is the exact opposite scenario. If McClement is offered a contract it's because he beats out Rowney quite convincingly as the 4C...and it has no impact on the 3C because neither guy is one of those.

Rowney could still make the team as the 13th forward, which imo is his ideal role on this team because he can play both center and wing.

We will probably expose a forward to waivers regardless of McClement's presence, because Rowney, Archibald and Kuhnhackl are not ALL going to be on this team. Someone will have to go. And then there is the very real possibility that a guy like Aston-Reese can beat someone out too.

I'm not too concerned about that.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I think it is the exact opposite scenario. If McClement is offered a contract it's because he beats out Rowney quite convincingly as the 4C...and it has no impact on the 3C because neither guy is one of those.

Rowney could still make the team as the 13th forward, which imo is his ideal role on this team because he can play both center and wing.

We will probably expose a forward to waivers regardless of McClement's presence, because Rowney, Archibald and Kuhnhackl are not ALL going to be on this team. Someone will have to go. And then there is the very real possibility that a guy like Aston-Reese can beat someone out too.

I'm not too concerned about that.

Agreed, as good as Rowney was at times, he still is the epitome of a 13th forward. I always hate losing people to waivers, but Kuhn regressed last year so unless he forces his way onto that fourth line he seems like the one to go. Archibald deserves more of a shot at this point.

McClement is interesting as an older guy who can come in to limited minutes on a good team, and who knows, maybe has a revival. Probably not, but maybe.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You guys are too wound up.

Jay isn't going to crack the roster, at best he'll either sign a 2-way contract for depth for the 4C or he does well enough to earn a contract with another team.

25pts, lol, I like how that triggered so many. I like him at camp, I like him as 2-way contract depth, but I do not want to see Rowney as the 3C and him as the 4C if we are to see this team seriously be a three-peat contender.

Did you not say he would produce 25 points? Should we only read the less controversial parts of a post when crafting a response? Calling us wound up is silly. You made a very aggressive claim about your expectation for McClement and we are critiquing the claim.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I mean here is the thing... Its a tryout, not a legit contract... in a worse case scenerio, like everyone who they have hopes for lays an egg, or even more likely with this team, the Center position is hit with Injury, then he is there and familiar enough with the team that he can start the season with us without much fuss and its one less Center to worry about....

If not he simply goes somewhere else, no harm, no foul.... Camp bodies are not a bad thing...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Did you not say he would produce 25 points? Should we only read the less controversial parts of a post when crafting a response? Calling us wound up is silly. You made a very aggressive claim about your expectation for McClement and we are critiquing the claim.

I didn't know I had to point out sarcasm.

I mean, I guess I should jump in on the "Guentzel for 3C!" idioicy instead, I hear its the hot topic right now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I didn't know I had to point out sarcasm.

I mean, I guess I should jump in on the "Guentzel for 3C!" idioicy instead, I hear its the hot topic right now.

Which part was sarcasm? Ah nevermind, who cares.

It's a PTO and we need more depth at camp at center. It's all good with me.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If, for whatever reason, McClement is offered a contract then we should probably expect Rowney to be our 3C. There's no need to have McClement in our lineup taking up a roster spot and exposing someone to waivers, plus his cap-hit (even though it's likely to be pretty low) if Rowney is available to be our 4C. We don't need competition for our fourth line center. And I cringe at the thought of McClement being our 4C more than I do Rowney being our 3C.

I don't think Rowney would be the 3C even if McClement was signed. They'd both rotate as the 4C until either one established themselves as superior to the other one.

If there's one thing we've seen from JR since he became GM of the Pens, it's that he's not afraid to make a move when things aren't working. He's also said plenty of times he likes depth throughout the lineup, so I can't see him doing anything opposite of that by having Rowney/McClement as our long term 3-4 centers.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Agreed, as good as Rowney was at times, he still is the epitome of a 13th forward. I always hate losing people to waivers, but Kuhn regressed last year so unless he forces his way onto that fourth line he seems like the one to go. Archibald deserves more of a shot at this point.

McClement is interesting as an older guy who can come in to limited minutes on a good team, and who knows, maybe has a revival. Probably not, but maybe.

I'm not really sure what's interesting about McClement. He's a 12th forward at his very best with absolutely no more upside than that. So unless there's a clear role for him to play here, which is 4C because our current 4C is being forced to play on the third line because we never found any better options. He has no business being here.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I don't think Rowney would be the 3C even if McClement was signed. They'd both rotate as the 4C until either one established themselves as superior to the other one.

If there's one thing we've seen from JR since he became GM of the Pens, it's that he's not afraid to make a move when things aren't working. He's also said plenty of times he likes depth throughout the lineup, so I can't see him doing anything opposite of that by having Rowney/McClement as our long term 3-4 centers.

I'd rather just be patient and wait for better options than to handcuff ourselves by giving McClement a contract. I don't see much upside (if any) in having McClement and Rowney rotating the 4C position.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd rather just be patient and wait for better options than to handcuff ourselves by giving McClement a contract. I don't see much upside (if any) in having McClement and Rowney rotating the 4C position.

1-Injuries. This is the Penguins, there are always injuries. So having an extra guy who can play center, even if it means one of them sits in the press box when everyone is healthy, is always a good idea.

2-Rowney's a career AHLer up until late last season. Bringing in McClement gives the Pens an option for 4C should Rowney prove that he is, in fact, just an AHLer who happened to play out of his mind for about 50 or so games.

3-In exhibition hockey, you're not going to play Crosby and Malkin every game. They will probably only get like 2 or 3 games out of the 6 or 7 the Pens play. Inviting someone for a PTO allows them to simply fill out a roster card on the nights they sit some of their regulars.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just to sooth some of the angst still in here.

-he got the most minutes on the NHL's best penalty kill last season
-said himself he was hampered by a knee injury last season and wasn't at his best
-if he shows decently in camp, he's not a bad guy to have around in Oct/Nov since big FO taking PK'ers Bones, Cullen are gone

Thats it. thats all.
He can help this team on the PK specifically and some DZ draw taking 5on5.
Thats all with the roster as it is today.
JR plans on making changes to this roster tho.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
My thoughts on this:

1. The Pens need to fill out pre-season rosters without playing Crosby and Malkin in every game somehow. PTOs are a good way to do that.
2. Some competition for Rowney as the 4th line center is not a bad thing.
3. It gives JR the option to bluff in trade negotiations by saying "I can start the season with Rowney as 3C and McClement as 4C, so I don't actually have to acquire someone before the season starts". Granted, I'd really hope that was just a bluff...
Agreed. The more concrete options we have, the better we are and the stronger our negotiating position will be.

I see tanner glass if going to Calgary on a PTO. That's too bad, I was hoping JR would bring him back to Pitt for some speed and grittiness in the bottom six. Plus he can move up the lineup when needed.
:laugh:

You almost had me.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I dont have a problem with McClement as 4C.

Its not ideal but he routinely finds himself on top end Penalty kills which id imagine isnt a coincidence.

He is a 52% faceoff guy. Used to score 20+ points regularly. Not sure if its age or team or both as his production dropped right as he turned 30 but also right when he went to Carolina.

He will be cheap, so if he is out played he can easily be the 13F or waived.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I dont have a problem with McClement as 4C.

He is a 52% faceoff guy. Used to score 20+ points regularly. Not sure if its age or team or both as his production dropped right as he turned 30 but also right when he went to Carolina.

I don't even know where to start.

McClement last scored 20 or more points in 2006-2007. Secondly, he's scored 20+ points in 2 seasons. How does scoring more than 20 or more points in 2 out of 12 seasons qualify as regularly?

I think you'd be happy with any warm body, honestly. Why set the bar so low in life? Most 4C know how to penalty kill. That is literally his only positive attribute. If he ends up as our 4C, management has utterly failed. We also would have serious issues if our plethora of center prospects can't pass McClement in camp.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I don't even know where to start.

McClement last scored 20 or more points in 2006-2007. Secondly, he's scored 20+ points in 2 seasons. How does scoring more than 20 or more points in 2 out of 12 seasons qualify as regularly?

I think you'd be happy with any warm body, honestly. Why set the bar so low in life? Most 4C know how to penalty kill. That is literally his only positive attribute. If he ends up as our 4C, management has utterly failed. We also would have serious issues if our plethora of center prospects can't pass McClement in camp.

1. Dont let fact get in the way. McClement point by year...
06- 27
07- 36
08- 22
09- 26
10- 29
11- 20
12- 17
13- 17 (48 games... 29 pt pace)17
14- 10
15- 21
16- 11
17- 8

Averages 22 pts per 82 games. Obviously has been a downward trend since turning 30 and going to Carolina. So 7 out of 12, 8 if you include the lockout years pace.

2. You should get a reality check on life goals. Only one of use is complaining about the 4C spot on the back to back Stanley cup champions in August. If your gonna complain ad nausem at least be accurate #freehottakes

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't have a problem with McClement as a short term 4C, but I have a problem with him as a 4C with the likes of Reaves, Rowney, and Kuhnhackl as his wingers. Again, short term okay, but you either need to upgrade the center or the wingers heading into the playoffs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't have a problem with McClement as a short term 4C, but I have a problem with him as a 4C with the likes of Reaves, Rowney, and Kuhnhackl as his wingers. Again, short term okay, but you either need to upgrade the center or the wingers heading into the playoffs.

Which gives us our whole issue that we are likely going to have to spend assets for a 3C and 4C when we could've at least gotten one of those positions in UFA, but I digress.

I have no issue with McClement as a stop gap. That being said anyone expecting production from him is kidding themselves. He's a ******** Goc.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Which gives us our whole issue that we are likely going to have to spend assets for a 3C and 4C when we could've at least gotten one of those positions in UFA, but I digress.

I have no issue with McClement as a stop gap. That being said anyone expecting production from him is kidding themselves. He's a ******** Goc.

I tend to agree, although with our cap situation the options were limited. One could question whether Hunwick at 2.25MM or Boyle at 2.75MM (as an example) was the wiser spend. Hunwick types might be cheaper and easier to acquire at the deadline vs centers, but Hunwick could be a nice insurance for Cole leaving. I could go either way there.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

There's a pretty good chance the wingers will be upgraded by the time they go into the playoffs without JR needing to make a single trade.

If we're assuming Sprong in the top 6, that pushes others down the lineup. We could conceivably go into the playoffs with Hornqvist as the fourth line right wing behind some combination of Sheary, Kessel and Sprong. Whoops, no space for Reaves.

There's already pretty much no space for Kuhnhackl, given that Guentzel, Rust, Hagelin and Wilson are all ahead of him on the depth chart already. Add in just one of Archibald or Aston-Reese, and his spot in the lineup is entirely gone.

Granted, this assumes they bring in someone to be the 3C, but I think that'll be taken care of before the season starts, or at least shortly into it in the worst-case scenario.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
There's a pretty good chance the wingers will be upgraded by the time they go into the playoffs without JR needing to make a single trade.

If we're assuming Sprong in the top 6, that pushes others down the lineup. We could conceivably go into the playoffs with Hornqvist as the fourth line right wing behind some combination of Sheary, Kessel and Sprong. Whoops, no space for Reaves.

There's already pretty much no space for Kuhnhackl, given that Guentzel, Rust, Hagelin and Wilson are all ahead of him on the depth chart already. Add in just one of Archibald or Aston-Reese, and his spot in the lineup is entirely gone.

Granted, this assumes they bring in someone to be the 3C, but I think that'll be taken care of before the season starts, or at least shortly into it in the worst-case scenario.

Good post.

If I'm Scott Wilson (or any of the guys you mentioned above who've played C before), I'm working on my faceoff game fierce this offseason. They have to know there's a gaping opportunity to take a C spot and if you can be passable, you're very valuable to the Pens and could parlay it into a big season and payday down the line.

I think Sully didn't want to play Malkin and Kessel together bc he didn't want to be too top heavy, but because Bones was killing Kessel's game so much he felt he had no other choice. It's very possible that Kessel goes back to line 3 for the balanced model that Sully likes.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Good post.

If I'm Scott Wilson (or any of the guys you mentioned above who've played C before), I'm working on my faceoff game fierce this offseason. They have to know there's a gaping opportunity to take a C spot and if you can be passable, you're very valuable to the Pens and could parlay it into a big season and payday down the line.

I think Sully didn't want to play Malkin and Kessel together bc he didn't want to be too top heavy, but because Bones was killing Kessel's game so much he felt he had no other choice. It's very possible that Kessel goes back to line 3 for the balanced model that Sully likes.

There is more to playing center than merely taking face-offs. Nothing in Wilson's NHL game suggests he is a better fit at center.

I think it will be interesting to watch the camp battle between Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Archibald and Aston-Reese...potentially for only one spot.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
1. Dont let fact get in the way. McClement point by year...
06- 27
07- 36
08- 22
09- 26
10- 29
11- 20
12- 17
13- 17 (48 games... 29 pt pace)17
14- 10
15- 21
16- 11
17- 8

Averages 22 pts per 82 games. Obviously has been a downward trend since turning 30 and going to Carolina. So 7 out of 12, 8 if you include the lockout years pace.

2. You should get a reality check on life goals. Only one of use is complaining about the 4C spot on the back to back Stanley cup champions in August. If your gonna complain ad nausem at least be accurate #freehottakes

Whoops, I just have used just his assist totals. My mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad