Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Jay McClement to a tryout contract

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
The fears of returning to a ******, pre-Sullivan 4th line are completely unfounded.

Even if that does happen, and we start the year with some crap like Kuhnhackl - McClement - Reaves, and they suck ass and the team is worse off for it, we know that JR is absolutely not afraid to admit a mistake and make it right. And that's assuming Sullivan wouldn't do it first and call up Blueger, sit Reaves for Archibald or whatever else is in his arsenal.

I think we should probably expect a dip in total offensive output from the 4th with Cullen gone, but I don't expect it to be any less effective. Hopefully more-so. I understand, Gladams is still in our memories, but that's not going to happen again. Neither JR nor Sullivan will let it.

*If* McClement gets a contract, it'll only be because he earns it in camp, and even then he'll still have to earn his spot in the line-up every night. Sullivan isn't going to put up with ******** if there are better and more productive players in the press box or in Wilkes-Barre.
Agreed.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The fears of returning to a ******, pre-Sullivan 4th line are completely unfounded.

Even if that does happen, and we start the year with some crap like Kuhnhackl - McClement - Reaves, and they suck ass and the team is worse off for it, we know that JR is absolutely not afraid to admit a mistake and make it right. And that's assuming Sullivan wouldn't do it first and call up Blueger, sit Reaves for Archibald or whatever else is in his arsenal.

I think we should probably expect a dip in total offensive output from the 4th with Cullen gone, but I don't expect it to be any less effective. Hopefully more-so. I understand, Gladams is still in our memories, but that's not going to happen again. Neither JR nor Sullivan will let it.

*If* McClement gets a contract, it'll only be because he earns it in camp, and even then he'll still have to earn his spot in the line-up every night. Sullivan isn't going to put up with ******** if there are better and more productive players in the press box or in Wilkes-Barre.

I agree. JR constantly talks about guys who fit the Penguins identity. He knows what makes this team successful and I don't get the feeling he's being stubborn to give us a Craig Adams-like 4th line. He's just buying time for the right players.

My only fear, and we will see when we get there, is that when JR wants his guy - he overpays. But I'll wait and see.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I agree. JR constantly talks about guys who fit the Penguins identity. He knows what makes this team successful and I don't get the feeling he's being stubborn to give us a Craig Adams-like 4th line. He's just buying time for the right players.

My only fear, and we will see when we get there, is that when JR wants his guy - he overpays. But I'll wait and see.

JR overpaying is the real concern. He doesn't have infinite patience and he has to be aware of how often this team gets hurt. Going by what was said he was prepared to pay a hefty price for Duchene at the TDL and got saved by Sakic, and we've seen some of his must have deals.

Hopefully he's playing chicken with someone in a bad spot like he was with the Leafs. Coughtalloncough.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

That's the really nice thing about Sullivan's favorites being young guys he coached in WBS instead of older veterans, he's not a guy that's going to keep McClement in the lineup over say Rowney just because McClement is a veteran.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
JR overpaying is the real concern. He doesn't have infinite patience and he has to be aware of how often this team gets hurt. Going by what was said he was prepared to pay a hefty price for Duchene at the TDL and got saved by Sakic, and we've seen some of his must have deals.

Hopefully he's playing chicken with someone in a bad spot like he was with the Leafs. Coughtalloncough.

If the rumored offer was true, I would say Sakic saved us big time because we would no longer have Jake Guentzel, who went on a tear in the playoffs. I'd be devastated.

But we really don't know what the offers were.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
If the rumored offer was true, I would say Sakic saved us big time because we would no longer have Jake Guentzel, who went on a tear in the playoffs. I'd be devastated.

But we really don't know what the offers were.

What was the rumored offer?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
What was the rumored offer?

I would have to look it up, but i thought it was Jarry, Sprong, & Guentzel or something crazy. I will have to look the thread up. We don't have any official sources but we had a few users throw their speculation who have been correct before.

I'll try to research it again.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would have to look it up, but i thought it was Jarry, Sprong, & Guentzel or something crazy. I will have to look the thread up. We don't have any official sources but we had a few users throw their speculation who have been correct before.

I looked it up myself fairly recently -

rom Kirk back around the deadline:

"And these moves?

Maatta + Jarry + 1st for Duchene

Maatta + Fleury (with a little retention) + 1st + Jake OR Sprong for Duchene

And there MAY have been another deal of Maatta + Jake OR Sprong + another young forward (not known, maybe Rust, outside shot Sheary) for Duchene and another unknown starting forward coming back."

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=128949361&postcount=380

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

"And these moves?

And there MAY have been another deal of Maatta + Jake OR Sprong + another young forward (not known, maybe Rust, outside shot Sheary) for Duchene and another unknown starting forward coming back."

Good thing one of the Gms didn't pull the trigger

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Is that guy holding up a cactus?

PS. I just think the :scared: emoji describes the people going nuts over every little thing because I picture them running around like that and chuckle.

He sure is. It was a meme that I de-memed:

gNVkN.jpg

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

"And these moves?

Thank you for this. :) Good lord I hate Sakic. I seriously think Maatta/Jarry for Duchene is an even deal with where each person is on their contract and I would not be happy losing Maatta. But as our defense takes a hit, Duchene fills the role of so many things we need. Versatile, insane faceoffs, added depth who can move around, etc.

Wtf am I doing? This is about McClement. :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thank you for this. :) Good lord I hate Sakic. I seriously think Maatta/Jarry for Duchene is an even deal with where each person is on their contract and I would not be happy losing Maatta. But as our defense takes a hit, Duchene fills the role of so many things we need. Versatile, insane faceoffs, added depth who can move around, etc.

Wtf am I doing? This is about McClement. :laugh:

Everything's about Duchene man. McClement, Rowney, Guentzel, Area 51... word just in that Duchene is the first hockey player to join the Illuminati.

But yeah, that would have been a fair deal. I think we dodged a bullet in terms of timing but, much as I'd hate to lose Maatta, I wouldn't be majorly upset if Rutherford returned to investigate that deal.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

I'd say there is a very good chance that Guentzel outscores Duchene next season.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
As far as extending a try out goes, I'd have preferred to reach out to Winnik instead of McClement.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

The Leafs are set. They could use a RHD, but they don't need to make any moves. Definitely no bad spot.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
My thoughts on this:

1. The Pens need to fill out pre-season rosters without playing Crosby and Malkin in every game somehow. PTOs are a good way to do that.
2. Some competition for Rowney as the 4th line center is not a bad thing.
3. It gives JR the option to bluff in trade negotiations by saying "I can start the season with Rowney as 3C and McClement as 4C, so I don't actually have to acquire someone before the season starts". Granted, I'd really hope that was just a bluff...

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011

that sounds like a made up offer.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I would have rather signed Ryan White or Joseph Cramarossa (speed factor) to a PTO, but I do not have any objections to this signing. Is McClement is a shell of his days on the Blues/Leafs? Sure. However, he is still a relatively sufficient penalty-killer and shutdown forward. He occupies leadership qualities - which is no longer a commodity with Cullen, Kunitz, and Daley opting to sign elsewhere.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad