Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Jay McClement to a tryout contract

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Congratulations on being the first person in history to use the word great in describing Jay McClement. Waiting 2 months to address your obvious needs is what leads you to sign McClement. If he's such a great player, why was he still a free agent until the end of August?

Im not sure if I can't detect your sarcasm..or if you couldn't detect the sarcasm from Warm Cookies.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
I don't know how many centers they need at camp, but they have plenty to play preseason games assuming Sid and Geno don't even touch the ice. They have seven centers competing for one fourth line spot, I hope (please trade for a 3C)
Rowney, McGregg, Dea, diPauli, Johnson, Blueger and Simon. If they're bringing in this guy, they are worried. Can't see the move as anything else

It's a friggin PTO. There's absolutely NO commitment from the Pens here, he's a camp invite. Rutherford's simply covering his bases. If you can't see this I can't help you.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't know how many centers they need at camp, but they have plenty to play preseason games assuming Sid and Geno don't even touch the ice. They have seven centers competing for one fourth line spot, I hope (please trade for a 3C)
Rowney, McGregg, Dea, diPauli, Johnson, Blueger and Simon. If they're bringing in this guy, they are worried. Can't see the move as anything else

They need more then 7 centers.

They have 2 sets of back to back preseason games, so you need 8 centers to play those back to back games.

You always have injuries that could happen during camp that you need to be prepared for.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

They have 2 sets of back to back preseason games, so you need 8 centers to play those back to back games.

You always have injuries that could happen during camp that you need to be prepared for.

I think Teddy B. can handle a back to back or two. That kid is a gamer.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Congratulations on being the first person in history to use the word great in describing Jay McClement. Waiting 2 months to address your obvious needs is what leads you to sign McClement. If he's such a great player, why was he still a free agent until the end of August?

You should learn to read. Obviously not what he said. And McClement wasn't signed to anything. Just a PTO!!

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Not sure the org sees all those guys as centres anyway.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site

#AbnoxiousPostFail.

Re-read his post, slowly as suggested, and you'll understand the "great" 4th line center he is referring to is the guy we waited for to decide between us, retirement, and Minny. Well worth waiting for given what he gave this team over the past two seasons.

This is a PTO, lots occur. If the Pens felt he belonged on the team now, they'd have signed him to a real contract. Nothing to lose sleep over.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Fine with it. It's just a PTO, and they rarely get contracts.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Mackey got some JR quotes today about this:

"He’s had good success killing penalties and winning faceoffs," Rutherford said. "With what we’re looking for in the way of depth at that position, he’s going to be given a good chance to make the team."

Rutherford, however, isn't overly worried about a 2016-17 campaign that saw McClement log a career-low 11:23 of ice time, win just 48.2 percent of his faceoffs and produce a Corsi For Percentage (CF%) of 45.36 during five-on-five play.

"You can’t just go on one year as to what a player does," Rutherford said. "You look at his whole career. You look at where he is in his career. You hope that he has a good camp and shows what he’s done over his career."

Even if McClement looks spectacular and earns a contract, he projects as a fourth-line options, Rutherford said. The GM remains involved in trade talks for a third-line center, which could concievably push Carter Rowney to the wing.

"We'll continue to work on it," Rutherford said. "There’s a few options there. We’ll see what happens here in the next little while. But, again, it’s what I said all along. If there’s somebody that we feel fits what we’re looking for, we’ll do it. If not, we’re going to wait until that time comes."

More at: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ement-Jim-Rutherford-PTO/stories/201708260110 with quotes from McClement.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
If people are upset because they think Rowney is a fringe NHLer, just wait until they get a close look at McClement.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Eh, no harm no foul, could get something out of him. Still, this isn't a move that's gonna help the 3C/4C issue.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Any move or non-move we make between now and getting a 3C is going to be met with some variation of this:

3_21_013108_Kenya.jpg

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
Any move or non-move we make between now and getting a 3C is going to be met with some variation of this:

3_21_013108_Kenya.jpg

Not by everybody. Look I'd much prefer to give an internal option (Blueger, Johnson, McKegg, Dea, etc.) a crack at one of the bottom 6 centre slots over McClement. But here's the thing about a PTO signing like him - what if he's as healthy as he's been in like 5 years? What if he comes to camp and has an extra little jump in his stride? He's good on the dot and he kills penalties, two areas the Pens need help with. This is a smart, no risk move by Rutherford that I'm sure would be a short term, low salary signing at best. Or he's simply cut after they see what he has left in the tank.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If people are upset because they think Rowney is a fringe NHLer, just wait until they get a close look at McClement.

I don't know what is in store for Rowney at the NHL level, but I think we can all agree he at least deserved the 4C spot leading into camp. He busted his ass last year and put up a very solid effort for the Pens. So at least leading into camp, I'd say he's earned that 4C spot.

It may not be ideal or perfect, but let's see what he provides.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

3_21_013108_Kenya.jpg

Is that guy holding up a cactus?

PS. I just think the :scared: emoji describes the people going nuts over every little thing because I picture them running around like that and chuckle.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Is that guy holding up a cactus?

PS. I just think the :scared: emoji describes the people going nuts over every little thing because I picture them running around like that and chuckle.

Granted it is only like 3-5 total users going nuts and the rest of us allllll get sucked in (especially myself) on responding.

I would say 90-95% of us are all in the "Meh let's just see how it plays out" mindset.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The fears of returning to a ******, pre-Sullivan 4th line are completely unfounded.

Even if that does happen, and we start the year with some crap like Kuhnhackl - McClement - Reaves, and they suck ass and the team is worse off for it, we know that JR is absolutely not afraid to admit a mistake and make it right. And that's assuming Sullivan wouldn't do it first and call up Blueger, sit Reaves for Archibald or whatever else is in his arsenal.

I think we should probably expect a dip in total offensive output from the 4th with Cullen gone, but I don't expect it to be any less effective. Hopefully more-so. I understand, Gladams is still in our memories, but that's not going to happen again. Neither JR nor Sullivan will let it.

*If* McClement gets a contract, it'll only be because he earns it in camp, and even then he'll still have to earn his spot in the line-up every night. Sullivan isn't going to put up with ******** if there are better and more productive players in the press box or in Wilkes-Barre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad